SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 22, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #14,671 of 15,290
Second time is a charm, I tried Baroque tips one more time on Z1R for 1.5 hours tonight. In the beginning, I felt like my original impression was confirmed: they sound luxury, like being elevated, unfortunately also elevated in the FR, the bass is rolled off. In the meantime, the huge sound stage became even more evident.

What really surprised me was, like a good old tube amp, this combination gradually warmed up and metamorphosed into a much better one.

The grandiose sound of Z1R with Baroque tips is simply amazing, treble is much more refined, sound stage is even more extended, overall sound signature is totally changed beyond my recognition, a much better experience than any other tips I tried. In most music tracks I was listened to, the bass was also very satisfactory, though not the most impactful compared to some other tips.

Because of the higher end improvement, I was also under the impression that the mids was also a little better, though I cannot be 100% sure.

To sum it up, I had never found any other tips that changed an IEM that much (with of course those exceptions of having bad seals and significantly damaged the performance). In the beginning, I can only say it changed the sound of Z1R. But after the warm up (I guess I am taking "warm up" to another level, after tube Amps, dynamic driver headphones, we now have the warm up of IEM tips), it brings the performance of Z1R to a higher level.

Oct 24, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #14,672 of 15,290
Joining the club - just purchased one from eBay 5 min ago - new for 1400 dollars. So I slapped on 4 years of warranty. I’ve seen quite a few have some issues with them after 2-3 years. Cables are 110 dollars alone… and considering what I paid the total price is still lower than what I’d have to pay elsewhere. (Was less than 1800 with taxes, shipping etc)

Oct 24, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #14,673 of 15,290
Joining the club - just purchased one from eBay 5 min ago - new for 1400 dollars. So I slapped on 4 years of warranty. I’ve seen quite a few have some issues with them after 2-3 years. Cables are 110 dollars alone… and considering what I paid the total price is still lower than what I’d have to pay elsewhere. (Was less than 1800 with taxes, shipping etc)
Welcome to the club! Still my favourite IEM at any price. What you paid is an absolute bargain

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #14,674 of 15,290
I don’t know how to delete the tag lol
Ok,here my ier z1r since yesterday.
Some impressions:
I’m learning about my tastes,and I think that I much prefer the DD instead electrostatic drivers.
Traillii and jewel sounded superb with the pw Orpheus,but since I’m stopped from headfi some months for take a break,I change my mind about what does hifi mean.
I always searched the perfect sound for my taste,changing continuously my gear.
But in those months,I tought..
“Why should I find the perfect sound for me?when I drink a seriously good red wine I don’t have the claim to find the perfect wine for me,simply I accept that I’m enjoying the wine that the producer offer me.”
And I enjoyed a lot of wines.trying to comprehend it’s structure,it balance and naturally it’s flavor.
I’m adopting after time the same principle for the hifi.
Electrostatic gives me a majestic proficiently technical ability.the timbre can result natural,but against a DD I feel that the ES miss body and soul.
The ier z1r is really a technology miracle;it’s tuning is fleshy and consistent, with a natural cadence of notes and a punch that makes the sound real and pleasant in my opinion.
It's the same thing for dynamics too; DD offers me a sense of dynamism that other drivers don't.
Of course,it’s not perfect as earphones;traillii is much more fast and detailed,and the voices are much more natural,not recessed at all (however I don’t find mids recessed on the z1r) and as well the z1r is note resolute as the others in ear summit fi
But this is it.
It’s not a perfect headphone and I’m enjoying it’s imperfect behavior,and for my taste it’s exquisite.
Bass are prominent,fast and warm,giving to the tracks an unexpected determination;the mids are the less astounding part of the timbre,but I’m not disliked them at all;the soundstage sound more like a theater and the highs are simply delicious;and with this mix of characteristics as the final result, the sound is immersive and never predictable or boring
I don’t agree with many of you that said that the ear tips doesn’t influence the sound on the z1r.
I tried the radius deep mount and the z1r was too bright for my taste
The stock tips were too bassy
Final tips e continued to fall from my ears
The eartune fidelity U…wow
I think as ear tips the last one mentioned it’s been create for reproduce the most fidelity sound within any emphasis,and against all the others mentioned the sound signature it’s seriously well balanced with z1r cababilities.
And for comfort I can hear those from 15.00 pm until 19.30 pm..I think that the z1r are oreatry heavy but uncomfortable no,not at all,at least..for my ears
I’ve to try other dac,because I used them with the fiio ka2 (I need a dongle because I much prefer the apple echosystem agains a regular dap;increase volume through the Apple Watch without pull out the phone from the pocket is really comfortable as a portable system) but until now the impression are just WOW!
Yes,I’m really liked em.
Maybe a silver cable for improve a bit it’s resolution would be a good choice.
What do you think?
P.s of course,this is not a final review since I have the z1r just for one day,but listened them for 6 hours I got a vague idea

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #14,675 of 15,290
Welcome to the club i hope you get to enjoy your new purchase for many years, if you don’t mind me asking how much was that warrant you purchased?

Oct 25, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #14,676 of 15,290
Oct 26, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #14,677 of 15,290
The same story as @Rob49 when his DMP-Z1 stopped charging and sony UK told him first that they didn't have the parts anymore and he had to chase them for months and complain all the way up to sony japan

Yes, from my experience, don’t let them fob you off. If no change of position, write to Sony HQ ( U.K. ) No customer, should have to push for action to be taken, but it’s your right, for them to fix any issues.

Oct 26, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #14,678 of 15,290
OK, with my SONY NW‐WM1ZM2 and z1r - playing
- the bas is something else, my other IEMs don't do that... not my favorite music but the bas is epic on this one. The fit is good too.

Nov 1, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #14,680 of 15,290
Someone said the the EP-NI1000 are dark but they pretty much fix all the issues I have with the Z1R. It is insane how airy they sound despite being foam.

graph-4.png

Nov 1, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #14,681 of 15,290
Do coreir brass tips sound better than eletech baroque tips on IER-Z1R?
I haven't tried but I highly doubtful about it from what I have read. Someone may prove me wrong then I can try the brass tip.

In the meantime, I am demoing the MSE (FatFreq Maestro SE), I am seriously thinking about buying it custom. Anyone try MSE or GM and think they are truly Z1R successor? I really love the strong bass with uninterrupted Mids and highs.

Nov 1, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #14,682 of 15,290
I haven't tried but I highly doubtful about it from what I have read. Someone may prove me wrong then I can try the brass tip.

In the meantime, I am demoing the MSE (FatFreq Maestro SE), I am seriously thinking about buying it custom. Anyone try MSE or GM and think they are truly Z1R successor? I really love the strong bass with uninterrupted Mids and highs.
I love MSE but it doesn't touch Z1R quality for me. It's definitely more elevated in the sub bass, and tuning elsewhere is pretty good, but it doesn't have Z1R's refinement, liquid bass or nuanced treble. Nice to have both for different bass-driven presentations.

Nov 1, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #14,683 of 15,290
I love MSE but it doesn't touch Z1R quality for me. It's definitely more elevated in the sub bass, and tuning elsewhere is pretty good, but it doesn't have Z1R's refinement, liquid bass or nuanced treble. Nice to have both for different bass-driven presentations.
I need more time to understand the difference between them, but in any case, even if I bought MSE, Z1R will stay forever :).

Nov 1, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #14,684 of 15,290

Yes.

I'm a Z1R fan, and I really think it holds its own amazingly well today (I don't own it but I have demo-ed it a million times, it fits perfectly deep in my ears, and I'm well aware of its strengths and weaknesses).

I've also demo-ed the MSE and GM.

So why havent I bought the Z1R if I think it is amazing? Because the GM exists, and it's what I'm likely going to get next :)

For me, the GM is the upgraded Z1R, a Z2R if you will. Deeper, huger bass. If you're talking purely bass quality, its very close, but I'm willing to grant that Z1R is slightly better textured. But the GM more than compensates with tremendous amounts of clean bass. Also, no more recessed mids (GM mids might still be recessed but no where near Z1R level). Insane treble extension and air, both Z1R and GM excels in this. Grand soundstage (Z1R might beat it slightly for soundstage width but I think the GM edges it for depth/height).

I'll still probably get the Z1R for gym use.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #14,685 of 15,290

I only tried GM on showfloor environment so not a good reference point but I did find GM to be less unique than MSE and so did not think that it would add anything to my collection. If anything, universals MSE sounded closer to Z1R then customs MSE and I am glad I decided on the conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back