SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 28, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #11,731 of 15,361
Hey guys, strange question, but if anyone has the OG WM1Z box handy, please can you post LxWxH measurements here. Official thread is closed and I can't find it online. 🙏
120mm x 177mm x 83mm
If you're dealing with inches I'm embarrassed to say I don't know how to the read the finer imperial measurements on my old school ruler, I can post photos.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #11,732 of 15,361
120mm x 177mm x 83mm
If you're dealing with inches I'm embarrassed to say I don't know how to the read the finer imperial measurements on my old school ruler, I can post photos.
Thanks that's all I need. Much appreciated.

Mar 28, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #11,733 of 15,361
Been listening to these for a couple of weeks now.

From the perspective of someone looking for their first HiFi experience these were a huge gamble, but one that's really paid off.

They fit!
They isolate!
The treble is gorgeous!
The mids are stunning...im honestly baffled by the mixed reports on this, the presence zone is the lushest, most effortlessly revealing and dynamic thing I've ever heard - anything but recessed.
Underpinning all this, the bass lives up to expectations, thankfully, as it was the one area that I really didn't want to compromise on, and the only element of the sound that was consistently reported as genuinely totl. So clear, so deep, so much grip!
IMG_20220315_132206-01-01-01-01-01.jpeg

They definitely like juice, I had a momentary sinking feeling the first time I powered them up on low gain and low volume and they sounded a bit flat, but medium gain transformed them into what I was expecting from a dynamics and soundstage perspective. Speaking of which, the soundstage is extraordinary, and the one area that required some brain burn in - it sounded almost exaggeratedly spacious at first, but now feels like the baseline against which everything else should be measured.
Went straight to double flange tips when I got them as I was fretting about treble resonance and lack of isolation, will definitely be trying some less intrusive options at some point but they do make for an incredibly secure fit (they maintain seal even when chewing).

Tl;Dr - a great introduction to TOTL, big thanks to everyone who's posted so eloquently about them here and the review section, you were a huge help in getting me to finally make a decision on what to buy!

Edit - first thing I listened to, they are just fantastic with electronica

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #11,734 of 15,361

From the perspective of someone looking for their first HiFi experience these were a huge gamble, but one that's really paid off.

They fit!
They isolate!
The treble is gorgeous!
The mids are stunning...im honestly baffled by the mixed reports on this, the presence zone is the lushest, most effortlessly revealing and dynamic thing I've ever heard - anything but recessed.
Underpinning all this, the bass lives up to expectations, thankfully, as it was the one area that I really didn't want to compromise on, and the only element of the sound that was consistently reported as genuinely totl. So clear, so deep, so much grip!
They definitely like juice, I had a momentary sinking feeling the first time I powered them up on low gain and low volume and they sounded a bit flat, but medium gain transformed them into what I was expecting from a dynamics and soundstage perspective. Speaking of which, the soundstage is extraordinary, and the one area that required some brain burn in - it sounded almost exaggeratedly spacious at first, but now feels like the baseline against which everything else should be measured.
Went straight to double flange tips when I got them as I was fretting about treble resonance and lack of isolation, will definitely be trying some less intrusive options at some point but they do make for an incredibly secure fit (they maintain seal even when chewing).

Tl;Dr - a great introduction to TOTL, big thanks to everyone who's posted so eloquently about them here and the review section, you were a huge help in getting me to finally make a decision on what to buy!
Enjoy!

Mar 28, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #11,736 of 15,361

They fit!
They isolate!
The treble is gorgeous!

Edit - first thing I listened to, they are just fantastic with electronica

Welcome to the brotherhood, hope you stay for life! :sunglasses:

Mar 28, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #11,738 of 15,361
No question there, they're definitely one of those sets that lets you experience your entire library in a whole new light :)
Welcome to the brotherhood, hope you stay for life! :sunglasses:
Thank you. It's a been a most pleasurable initiation, and they really are exactly what I was hoping they'd be - deep, lush and very resolving!

And thank you both for the heroic reviewing efforts. I read a lot before taking the plunge as there was no way for me to demo these - you've both generated really valuable content for blind buyers and I think your impressions were spot on. Very much obliged.

Mar 29, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #11,740 of 15,361
Never went before. Is it worth going?
You can refer to the CanJam 2022 Singapore thread for the upcoming deals available. I last went a few years ago (as you can see on my profile badge) but I remember people offering half off on stuff in the last hour.

As for whether or not it will occur again this year, I would say there are going to be discounts but sentiment on the ground is starting prices are going to be higher as many companies are dealing with severe supply issues.

If you dont attend its fine but think of it as a good way to connect with likeminded individuals. I think this is especially important since we have spent the last 2 years looking at webcams while in underwear with suits.

Mar 29, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #11,741 of 15,361
Tips are an individual thing. Nevertheless, I recommend trying these silicone tips from « Morepwr » on AE. They cost almost nothing (USD 5.-), high quality and very soft inside your ears. Isolation is excellent.

No other tips in my large collection can compete so far. Matter of taste and ear anatomy/canal though.

BE416F8C-2362-48CD-B292-BF7B4C16C64A.jpeg

3078B81F-B024-40A1-B8C8-FB543158F0FE.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #11,742 of 15,361
Enjoying this combo tonight

E336222A-33D4-4C4E-B511-F2A9495C338C.jpeg

Mar 29, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #11,743 of 15,361
Hey guys, strange question, but if anyone has the OG WM1Z box handy, please can you post LxWxH measurements here. Official thread is closed and I can't find it online. 🙏
Do you have a W1MZ coming your way?

Mar 29, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #11,744 of 15,361
Hey gents. Happy z1r punter here but I'm excited to be able next week to try out the new fir audio xenon6 at my local store! Will report back as its sound sig appears in the ballpark of big bass + better
dynamics/soundstage. Let's see how they compare to the sonys. Any here with a view please share 🙏

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #11,745 of 15,361
Hey gents. Happy z1r punter here but I'm excited to be able next week to try out the new fir audio xenon6 at my local store! Will report back as its sound sig appears in the ballpark of big bass + better
dynamics/soundstage. Let's see how they compare to the sonys. Any here with a view please share 🙏
Keen to hear your thoughts on the xe6. I’m pretty intrigued by the frontier series, but I guess there would have to be something different enough vs what I already have to get serious about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back