SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 31, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #11,761 of 15,437
when I was auditioning this at the shop, I used Moondrop Spring Tips that I pulled from my M9 because I did not want to use the shop's tips. made the Z1R sitting closer in. they stayed fixed to the IEM when I pulled it out of my ears.

hope this helps.
And hiw they sounded with the monndrop tips?

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #11,762 of 15,437
These are the measurements @gerelmx1986 made at one point. On the left are distances from the tip and on the right are diameters

B0F8B28D-D6F3-42F9-AA10-DC71C25F454D.jpeg
wow, that is oddly specific and detailed. If someone asks @gerelmx1986 if he's into IEMs, he only needs to post that shot. :)

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #11,764 of 15,437
Is there any difference between the EP-NI1000S and XM4 replacement tips?

I got some XM4 replacement tips to see if I’d like them and I’m doing comparisons with the stock Hybrids.

Apr 1, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #11,765 of 15,437
Thank you for the feedback. Seeing as you have tried the Z1R with Spring Tips, may I ask for your opinion with regards to how it sounded to you? There is little information online about this pairing.
so this is the second time I am testing the Z1R, the last time being more than a year ago.
this round I thought everything was a bit clearer. the latest was tested with the WM1Z (1st Gen). Treble was there but not hot nor sibilant, bass was good and strong. I expected mids to be behind but this was the most surprising thing... it wasn't really (I even made this comment to the shop). the 3Dness was retained and separation was good. I am sure some of these were also because of the WM1Z, since it was less pronounced on the ZX507 I brought along.

physically, these tips are shorter from tip of IEM nozzle to tip of eartips, compared to a SpiralDot++. from the back of the tips, you can see the MST have shorter stems, so any IEM will sit closer to the ear. maybe this distance helps with the mids, I am just speculating.
the bore is about the same but SD++ seems to have a bit more treble. bass is about the same but much less than a Radius Deep Mount. so I would call MST balanced.

I was impressed enough to order a pair of Z1R, which I will not be able to get till after mid-April.

Apr 1, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #11,767 of 15,437
so this is the second time I am testing the Z1R, the last time being more than a year ago.
this round I thought everything was a bit clearer. the latest was tested with the WM1Z (1st Gen). Treble was there but not hot nor sibilant, bass was good and strong. I expected mids to be behind but this was the most surprising thing... it wasn't really (I even made this comment to the shop). the 3Dness was retained and separation was good. I am sure some of these were also because of the WM1Z, since it was less pronounced on the ZX507 I brought along.

physically, these tips are shorter from tip of IEM nozzle to tip of eartips, compared to a SpiralDot++. from the back of the tips, you can see the MST have shorter stems, so any IEM will sit closer to the ear. maybe this distance helps with the mids, I am just speculating.
the bore is about the same but SD++ seems to have a bit more treble. bass is about the same but much less than a Radius Deep Mount. so I would call MST balanced.

I was impressed enough to order a pair of Z1R, which I will not be able to get till after mid-April.
I agree with your observation that sitting the IEM closer to the eardrum affects mids. I found the same even in my moondrop blessing 2 when I was using Sedna Xelastic. I pushed the mids and the higher mids up by using them and tbh, it became too hot for me.

Thank you very much for your concise and clear description. I intend to use it with a WM1Z and my desktop setup so it looks like the spring tips are a good buy. Its cheaper than the crystals in Singapore.

One more question for you @osiris1: Do you find that the spring tips trap a lot of ear dirt and dust on the TPU cap?

Thanks again!

Apr 1, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #11,768 of 15,437
I agree with your observation that sitting the IEM closer to the eardrum affects mids. I found the same even in my moondrop blessing 2 when I was using Sedna Xelastic. I pushed the mids and the higher mids up by using them and tbh, it became too hot for me.

Thank you very much for your concise and clear description. I intend to use it with a WM1Z and my desktop setup so it looks like the spring tips are a good buy. Its cheaper than the crystals in Singapore.

One more question for you @osiris1: Do you find that the spring tips trap a lot of ear dirt and dust on the TPU cap?

Thanks again!
yes, I have noticed more ear wax, flakes on my M9s, probably because of the shorter tips, and have to clean them more often.

Apr 1, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #11,769 of 15,437
yes, I have noticed more ear wax, flakes on my M9s, probably because of the shorter tips, and have to clean them more often.
And what about on the Spring Tips themselves?

Apr 2, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #11,771 of 15,437
Loving my new Z1R - fantastic paired with the Shanling M9.

1648928968748.png

Apr 2, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #11,773 of 15,437
Seems like the aging IER-Z1R are getting more and more attention lately. Fully deserved IMO. They are cult to me, even if I own them since 2.5 weeks.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #11,774 of 15,437
Z1r is an example of how a good tuning can make wonders and doesn't need 12412351234 drivers and kind of drivers.

Apr 2, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #11,775 of 15,437
Seems like the aging IER-Z1R are getting more and more attention lately. Fully deserved IMO. They are cult to me, even if I own them since 2.5 weeks.

Yeah I remember discovering them at some point in 2019, and wondering how the heck earphones could cost so much - and how I'd never pay that much! Little did I know the slippery slope that was about to unfold a few months later!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back