SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 5, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #11,626 of 15,354
Wow, it was the Kimber IEM cable that was fake. Here is a detailed post!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/post-15858926

3A0B56B2-5559-4C69-8604-7080B0C9C7CB.jpeg
F15C4C5A-FD56-4FAE-A18C-AB3AF6C0012C.jpeg
D0B7F104-5202-49B6-894A-9882D853B2BE.jpeg

E0B662DD-BC00-4E43-8EBB-134B0C895970.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #11,628 of 15,354
My gosh, I have the Sony WM1Z in the Cradle playing 44.1 kHz-24 bit, going AudioQuest Carbon USB to the back of the Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/Amp. The power cord: Electra Glide Audio Reference Glide-Reference Standard "Fatboy" Power” Cord. The front has the Sony MDR-Z1R hooked up to the (MUC-B20SB1) Kimber. My reference system........nothing better! The best I’ve heard in my experience.

Interesting they always talk about headphone placement being critical? How they do slightly change when moved around my head, still there is no big deal if moved forward or back. Maybe it’s more of an issue with other headphones?

This is all so natural and organic, I wouldn’t change a thing!

While bass definition is better with the Sony IER-Z1R, the midrange is amazing! Also the treble imaging is something else. I’m listening to music with a lot of whispers and vocal effects to that style. The detail is the best!

Really it’s apples and oranges to compare an IEM to full-size.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #11,629 of 15,354
DSC_0272.JPG

Anyone else using the stock separator? Not sure why it got many flak, I found it easy to use and do its job well. I used to use my AT case which has build in separator, now I swap to this as it's smaller and have harder shell.

Mar 14, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #11,630 of 15,354
DSC_0272.JPG
Anyone else using the stock separator? Not sure why it got many flak, I found it easy to use and do its job well. I used to use my AT case which has build in separator, now I swap to this as it's smaller and have harder shell.
I’ve always used it since day one.

Never had any troubles too.

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #11,632 of 15,354
My gosh, I have the Sony WM1Z in the Cradle playing 44.1 kHz-24 bit, going AudioQuest Carbon USB to the back of the Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/Amp. The power cord: Electra Glide Audio Reference Glide-Reference Standard "Fatboy" Power” Cord. The front has the Sony MDR-Z1R hooked up to the (MUC-B20SB1) Kimber. My reference system........nothing better! The best I’ve heard in my experience.

Interesting they always talk about headphone placement being critical? How they do slightly change when moved around my head, still there is no big deal if moved forward or back. Maybe it’s more of an issue with other headphones?

This is all so natural and organic, I wouldn’t change a thing!

While bass definition is better with the Sony IER-Z1R, the midrange is amazing! Also the treble imaging is something else. I’m listening to music with a lot of whispers and vocal effects to that style. The detail is the best!

Really it’s apples and oranges to compare an IEM to full-size.

Which power conditioner are you using?

For me I do not find any difference with power cord, if connected directly to wall.

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #11,633 of 15,354

For me I do not find any difference with power cord, if connected directly to wall.
If you wall outlet is fine, there is no need.

Listen to music and then just unplug the power cable. The music will continue for several seconds.

Now imagine how broken your wall socket needs to be to influence the sound

Mar 14, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #11,635 of 15,354
Well, I have better luck with power cords change-outs with tube amps, mainly the Woo 5LE. Power cords seem to do a little with the TA. Maybe placebo? I don’t have a power conditioning system for it. I do use one for the charging the WM1Z in the Cradle.

I do believe in them though. “After all is said and done, really that’s all that’s left.” “A quote.....Greek Audiophiles!” But I’m just going right out of the plug.

It really is a event by event procedure. Meaning, at times it is important. Especially if your power-line has noise. Maybe your line is clean? I swear I used to have my main system sound better from 2AM till 5AM, when few were on the grid. That is wear I used to live. That’s also possibly placebo?

Obviously many have and use power conditioning! Mainly the amps need it. Though some totally believe in using it for the DAC. With the TA the DAC and amp are one. Truly I don’t use my reference system all the time? It’s just good once in a while to hear total instrument textures, I don’t get a chance to fully hear instrument textures with IEMs. Also power conditioning is an example of insurance, meaning even if you think you don’t hear it......it’s insurance....just in case you may!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #11,637 of 15,354
Mar 18, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #11,639 of 15,354
Anyone here demo the new Fir Audio Xenon 6 vs the z1r? I am interested by the tubeless design re soundstage and the kinetic bass.
They have a vastly different tuning but if we’re talking specifically bass and soundstage:

• Bass on XE6 is more mid bass focused, so faster and thumpier compared to Z1R’s rumbly, drawn out decay bass.
  • Soundstage is wider and deeper on XE6 to my ears, but Z1R has a bit more height. Both have very large stages.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #11,640 of 15,354
awesome thanks for all the feedback. Im not really trying to replace the Z1R sound but adhere to its basic tuning but get gains in soundstage and dynamics

I find it doesn't sound as dynamic at lower volumes. I don't know if that is psychoacoustics or something or due to the impedance or some other factor? Is that the case with the XE6 for example ? I am using the Hugo2

Also I really want to fully explore IEM end game as I like my hugo2 setup , as I can listen easily in few places vs full desktop mode. So out of your head sound is definitely an attractive proposition that the XE6 appears to offer a bit more over the Z1Rs

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back