SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 3, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #11,596 of 15,437
@F700 You should also take note that Sony's MMCX connectors are recessed into the chassis of the IEM, making them hard to pull out unless you use Sony's own MMCX cables.

Why they made a industry standard semi proprietary is unknown but it is what it is.

You should google "IERZ1R MMCX connector" to get a better image of what I'm describing.

Mar 3, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #11,597 of 15,437
That means you haven't stocked up on Solar Power Banks yet?
No I have not sadly but I do have a powerbank.

The next issue will be to find a stupid WM-Port cable that works in the wasteland.

Thanks Sony for the proprietary connectors but no, you are not welcome.

Mar 3, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #11,598 of 15,437
The stock cable is fantastic sounding and beat-out the Kimber that I had previously purchased just for the IER-Z1R. So? That’s saying something. Cables are funny things because you can almost talk yourself into hearing improvements when improvement is not there. Still it would seem it takes a fairly expensive aftermarket cable (I read) to better the included cable. Also you don’t really want to make a habit of switching cables often! Best to find one cable that works and stick with it. The Kimber actually didn’t want to disconnect from the IER-Z1R during the testing process. In all my years of audio, I have never witnessed such an issue, the cables finally did come off (so I could roll back to stock) but it took a lot of effort. Also not every aftermarket cable fits due to how the MMCX outer sleeve is designed on the IER-Z1R.

I started my journey with old-school Sony Hybrid tips. The Hybrids had always seemed to work with a range of IEMs. The Hybrids are the black standard tips that came with the XBA-Z5, XBA-N3 and XBA-100. And while they did work well, later I found the clear included in box “new” formula of the “Hybrid” to work better. Even though while made of different silicone, they seem identical................but they are not. The clear Hybrids offer an increase in midrange detail which seems to make the IER-Z1R more balanced. Also believe it or not, the original black Hybrid Tips increase the bass even more than the new clear tips!
Speaking of cables for the Z1R, I have a question for you.

Have you tried the MUC-M12NB1 on the IER-Z1R? I like the fabric look it has and it seems very comfortable

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #11,600 of 15,437

Have you tried the MUC-M12NB1 on the IER-Z1R? I like the fabric look it has and it seems very comfortable
I haven't tried with the Z1R but used with the Z5. Sound wise it was a definite improvement over the skinny stock Z5 cable, I never got to try the Sony Kimber. It handled well as the nylon sheath up to the splitter prevented tangling but the thinner part to the connectors were fairly thin and offered no support for the Z5 design. If you don't have a good fit with the Z1R alone I don't think the cable would provide any support and would recommend another with better ear guides like the Fiio.

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #11,601 of 15,437
I haven't tried with the Z1R but used with the Z5. Sound wise it was a definite improvement over the skinny stock Z5 cable, I never got to try the Sony Kimber. It handled well as the nylon sheath up to the splitter prevented tangling but the thinner part to the connectors were fairly thin and offered no support for the Z5 design. If you don't have a good fit with the Z1R alone I don't think the cable would provide any support and would recommend another with better ear guides like the Fiio.
Thanks for your input. I was just thinking about the general feel and confort of the cable rather than the IEM as a whole.

Having tried it repeatedly in the store, I can safely say the Z1Rs fit me pretty well.

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #11,602 of 15,437
Any sub $1000 dap that you guys recommend?
Sony A55 with the MrWalkman WalkmanOne fw but it’s not powerfull enough to get the best from the Z1R

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #11,603 of 15,437
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/dennarwhal.555441/

You know I do own that cable too. I purchased it right from Sony Tokyo headquarters when I was getting the XBA-N3. The cable is nice though not as warm as the Kimber. The XBA-N3 would be a candidate for that cable, but I actually like the super thin 4.4mm that came with the XBA-N3. Reason being, the XBA-N3 is super small and a bigger cable seems to pull on it. The XBA-N3 included original cable is fantastic, you just have to get OVER the pre-expectation bias that comes with looking at a hair thin cable!

If I remember right, the MUC-M12NB1 was slightly etched with the IER-Z1R. It made the lower treble a little compressed and glaring? But to tell you the truth, after only a small time testing I could seem to hear how the included IER-Z1R cable was better in 4.4mm, so I made my decision pretty quick!

But it really is a good cable and has lots of uses. I used it for the longest time with the XBA-Z5 with fantastic results. You will find the MUC-M12NB1 as the ultimate replacement cable from stock XBA-Z5 issues. The only reason I don’t use it now with the XBA-N5 was it got replaced in use by the Kimber. The MMCX issues of the XBA-Z5 designates minimized cable change outs..........especially with that IEM. So there it will be. The MUC-M12NB1 has now gotten trickled down to use with the BGVP-DM6......haha. I have a confusing selection of cables, and more on the way!

But what is sad has been my reaction recently to a number of silver cables. They are just too bright for my uses? Strange how we can start to think that way. But cables are emotional and finicky things. It obviously depends on synergy and basically what you are used to. Meaning if your spending 24/7 with dark copper cables, you will kind of continue. As to try and rotate any new “silver” will not work. So it a way you can get yourself stuck down a one way street, with only one direction out!

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #11,604 of 15,437
Any sub $1000 dap that you guys recommend?
Before i owned my WM1Z i owned the ZX507 and i was pretty satisfied with it. The only thing that annoyed me was the EU volume cap (I should have bought one in Japan, its cheaper too) and the lack of Bluetooth Receiver Mode.

The ZX300 is even cheaper and not far off. The ZX507 is an upgrade to the ZX300 but its really big, its more refinement in the detail.

So depending on if you need/want Bluetooth Receiver Mode or not, i'd say ZX300 or ZX507

Both drove my IER-Z1R excellent. They don't have the Soundstage and overall Sound of the WM1Z but, of course, they are way cheaper.

But i personally would go for an used WM1A over an new ZX507 (which is roughly the same price)

Mar 4, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #11,605 of 15,437

I have them on the XBA-Z5 and i tried them on the Z1R once but it annoys me that they don't have any earhook. Especially with the IER-Z1R, i want/need that support from the earhook to keep them pressing against the back of my ear which would start to hurt otherwise

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #11,606 of 15,437
I have them on the XBA-Z5 and i tried them on the Z1R once but it annoys me that they don't have any earhook. Especially with the IER-Z1R, i want/need that support from the earhook to keep them pressing against the back of my ear which would start to hurt otherwise

Yes, it is important to have the support of the wire over the ear if not the IER Z1R will droop out like a nip slip. Thank you for sharing! I will shop around for cables with a earhook or maybe just use the original one lol.

You know I do own that cable too. I purchased it right from Sony Tokyo headquarters when I was getting the XBA-N3. The cable is nice though not as warm as the Kimber. The XBA-N3 would be a candidate for that cable, but I actually like the super thin 4.4mm that came with the XBA-N3. Reason being, the XBA-N3 is super small and a bigger cable seems to pull on it. The XBA-N3 included original cable is fantastic, you just have to get OVER the pre-expectation bias that comes with looking at a hair thin cable!

If I remember right, the MUC-M12NB1 was slightly etched with the IER-Z1R. It made the lower treble a little compressed and glaring? But to tell you the truth, after only a small time testing I could seem to hear how the included IER-Z1R cable was better in 4.4mm, so I made my decision pretty quick!

I appreciate your reply @Redcarmoose. However, I don't think I understand what slightly etched means. Could you please elaborate more on what that means? Thanks!

Mar 5, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #11,607 of 15,437
Yes, it is important to have the support of the wire over the ear if not the IER Z1R will droop out like a nip slip. Thank you for sharing! I will shop around for cables with a earhook or maybe just use the original one lol.

I appreciate your reply @Redcarmoose. However, I don't think I understand what slightly etched means. Could you please elaborate more on what that means? Thanks!
Just a random adjective that kinda means like an etching not a photograph. Like an etching not a photographic reproduction. Like an attempt at resolution in the upper regions, but not clear.

That, along with compressed and glaring means that somehow the treble replay of the IER-Z1R showed those imperfections in that upper regions; where warmer cables like the Kimber didn’t. Still the included cable was ever better than the Kimber due to it having better balance, as well as a style of smoothness.

367FA15B-B308-4978-94A5-3BC4800F865A.jpeg

Before photography there was only etching.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #11,608 of 15,437
Just a random adjective that kinda means like an etching not a photograph. Like an etching not a photographic reproduction. Like an attempt at resolution in the upper regions, but not clear.

That, along with compressed and glaring means that somehow the treble replay of the IER-Z1R showed those imperfections in that upper regions; where warmer cables like the Kimber didn’t. Still the included cable was ever better than the Kimber due to it having better balance, as well as a style of smoothness.

367FA15B-B308-4978-94A5-3BC4800F865A.jpeg

Before photography there was only etching.
I appreciate your further elaboration. I now understand and will probably steer clear of the MUC-M12NB1. Coupled with @Vamp898's explanation that the over-ear part of the cable was too loose, I think that cable is a hard miss from me.

But for the MUC-M12SB1, I am really really curious how Kimber Kable in the walkman + Kimber Kable from the walkman to the earphones really sound.

Well, looks like its time to reconsider having life savings again.

Mar 5, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #11,609 of 15,437
Well, remember too, all these are simply subjective findings on my part. And who knows for sure? It is pretty much impossible to be purely objective? And....as a group we tend to follow suit with what someone (else) says. But I don’t remember ever seeing a review on the IER-Z1R and the MUC-M12NB1? Also it was the first week the IER-Z1R came out in February-March 2019. So I knew nothing of the MUC-M12NB1 with the IER-Z1R?

Many of us saw pictures the Kimber in use with the IER-Z1R, in Japan at shows.......maybe 60-90 days before the release date! Literally like before the IER-Z1R was even for sale. So I thought it was superior to the stock cable. Also the (other) Kimber was a huge improvement for the MDR-Z1R, so it was a given that the Kimber would go with the IER-Z1R? But for me anyway, it was not the case.

Also being that the MUC-M12NB1 worked great with the XBA-N3 and XBA-Z5, you would think all would be fine with the IER-Z1R? Even pre-expectation bias would lend itself for those results? Same as the Kimber pre-expectation bias should have made it the “go-to” cable for the IER-Z1R. But in the end, it wasn’t the case. And not just me, but others have found the Kimber to be lesser than the included cable!

So still you need to find out for yourself. Meaning the ear anatomy, size of the ear-canal, the fit of the IER-Z1R, as well as your source.......all affect how a cable will sound. My experience can/should be different than what you yourself experience. I mean everyone has a slightly different signature that they admire. It’s really a miracle that we even have parallel experiences.......at all!

But the ear-hooks are another factor. So?

I appreciate your further elaboration. I now understand and will probably steer clear of the MUC-M12NB1. Coupled with @Vamp898's explanation that the over-ear part of the cable was too loose, I think that cable is a hard miss from me.

But for the MUC-M12SB1, I am really really curious how Kimber Kable in the walkman + Kimber Kable from the walkman to the earphones really sound.

Well, looks like its time to reconsider having life savings again.
I would choose the Kimber (over the MUC-M12NB1) if you wanted an aftermarket cable. Though you have to remember, the Kimber came way before the IER-Z1R. But the Kimber was better. Also the Kimber feels really nice. But if you search this thread your bound to run into a couple of people liking the Kimber better than stock? That’s just how it is.........there will always be those few who like the combination!

And remember it’s not that the MUC-M12NB1 or Kimber are bad in any way! It’s just that the stock cables fit the IER-Z1R.....that, and they are really, really good.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #11,610 of 15,437
Well, remember too, all these are simply subjective findings on my part. And who knows for sure? It is pretty much impossible to be purely objective? And....as a group we tend to follow suit with what someone (else) says. But I don’t remember ever seeing a review on the IER-Z1R and the MUC-M12NB1? Also it was the first week the IER-Z1R came out in February-March 2019. So I knew nothing of the MUC-M12NB1 with the IER-Z1R?

Many of us saw pictures the Kimber in use with the IER-Z1R, in Japan at shows.......maybe 60-90 days before the release date! Literally like before the IER-Z1R was even for sale. So I thought it was superior to the stock cable. Also the (other) Kimber was a huge improvement for the MDR-Z1R, so it was a given that the Kimber would go with the IER-Z1R? But for me anyway, it was not the case.

Also being that the MUC-M12NB1 worked great with the XBA-N3 and XBA-Z5, you would think all would be fine with the IER-Z1R? Even pre-expectation bias would lend itself for those results? Same as the Kimber pre-expectation bias should have made it the “go-to” cable for the IER-Z1R. But in the end, it wasn’t the case. And not just me, but others have found the Kimber to be lesser than the included cable!

So still you need to find out for yourself. Meaning the ear anatomy, size of the ear-canal, the fit of the IER-Z1R, as well as your source.......all affect how a cable will sound. My experience can/should be different than what you yourself experience. I mean everyone has a slightly different signature that they admire. It’s really a miracle that we even have parallel experiences.......at all!

But the ear-hooks are another factor. So?

I would choose the Kimber (over the MUC-M12NB1) if you wanted an aftermarket cable. Though you have to remember, the Kimber came way before the IER-Z1R. But the Kimber was better. Also the Kimber feels really nice. But if you search this thread your bound to run into a couple of people liking the Kimber better than stock? That’s just how it is.........there will always be those few who like the combination!

And remember it’s not that the MUC-M12NB1 or Kimber are bad in any way! It’s just that the stock cables fit the IER-Z1R.....that, and they are really, really good.
And such is the fun of this hobby, I will probably buy the M12SB1 from AmazonJP or Hong Kong and import it here since Sony SG is being a b*tch and doesn't wanna carry it.

I see myself interchanging between both cables to see if there is a difference in sound. I don't really think it would affect the sound but I really like the "bling" aspect of that cable.

The big Kimber Kable branding and massive Sony 4.4 plug are its selling points for me lol :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back