SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 5, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #11,611 of 15,431
76702CD6-2718-4EC9-9811-9C8E53618068.png

I would get that one. Really it’s very close to stock, in sound. Still it feels more substantial than stock, physicality. The MUC-M12NB1 does maybe fray slightly. To tell you the truth, Sony often has a group of headphones in mind when they introduce a cable, but I’m not sure what the MUC-M12NB1 was for?

The Kimber will always have good resale quality too, if you don’t want it. Though make sure you buy from a Sony dealer as we have seen some counterfeit Kimbers. Though I think they are normally counterfeits made for the full-size headphones?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #11,612 of 15,431
I love how this has become an appropriate concern considering the insane times we are in.

However, Zirconium is a rather inert matter which is honestly a dice roll. If you ask me, the WM1Z could better survive a nuke cos gold is one of the most inert metals but then again its screen and its leather back will probably allow the EMP to reach within.

Even after the bombs fall, it would be nice if we could have our nice tunes accompany us, even if its limited by battery...
Doesn't need to be full copper/ gold really, alumunium are good enough. But yeah IT, and many other metal DAPs are still susceptible to EMP due to the screens and pleather backing.
Good home made faraday cage is enough to protect your equipment

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #11,613 of 15,431

I would get that one. Really it’s very close to stock, in sound. Still it feels more substantial than stock, physicality. The MUC-M12NB1 does maybe fray slightly. To tell you the truth, Sony often has a group of headphones in mind when they introduce a cable, but I’m not sure what the MUC-M12NB1 was for?

The Kimber will always have good resale quality too, if you don’t want it. Though make sure you buy from a Sony dealer as we have seen some counterfeit Kimbers. Though I think they are normally counterfeits made for the full-size headphones?
What I'm afraid of most about these Sony Kimber is the existence of their fakes out there, and they usually are priced pretty "reasonably accessible", but never too cheap. So... Wonder how many in this site actually unknowingly post impressions with the fake cable

Mar 5, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #11,614 of 15,431
What I'm afraid of most about these Sony Kimber is the existence of their fakes out there, and they usually are priced pretty "reasonably accessible", but never too cheap. So... Wonder how many in this site actually unknowingly post impressions with the fake cable
And that's why I make it clear I am only buying from AmazonJP or Hong Kong. From Amazon JP I get the Japanese set of the cable, from Hong Kong, I get the international version.

I am steering clear from any Taobao/AliExpress/OEM "no packaging" listings.

Mar 5, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #11,615 of 15,431

I already have the MUC-S12SB1 for my Sony headphones and I really like the feel of it in the hand so its only fair that I go down the same path and get them for my Z1Rs when I do get them.

Otherwise, the MUC-M12NB1 is out of my choice already. My next option will be to get a 16 core silver cable from some DIY cable maker in Singapore but tbh, the prices that they quote me are far too high of what I deem worthy of something as simple as a cable (More than 400SGD)

Meanwhile, with the MUC-M12SB1 can be had for around 200+SGD straight from Japan, with both the qualities and guarantees that comes from buying a Sony x Kimber Kable product.

Looks like I am actually gonna buy one when I get my Z1Rs then

Mar 5, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #11,616 of 15,431
To me the Sony Kimber cable was not in any meaningful way an improvement on the stock cable for the IER-Z1R (I had one that came with the second hand Z5 I had when I bought the Z1R). I bought the Dunu Blanche because I like what pure silver does, but mostly for the swappable tips so I don’t have to keep plugging and unplugging the cable from the shells

Mar 5, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #11,617 of 15,431
It’s relatively easy to get an original from Sony. Typically it’s the Sony MDR-Z1R 4.4mm Kimber cable (Sony MUC-B20SB1) that was fake.

We have pictures on Head-Fi. You can spot it fairly easy. Also they are always priced accordingly.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #11,618 of 15,431
https://www.stereo.com.sg/

In Singapore Stereo is a great place to order them.
I already have the MUC-S12SB1 for my Sony headphones and I really like the feel of it in the hand so its only fair that I go down the same path and get them for my Z1Rs when I do get them.

Otherwise, the MUC-M12NB1 is out of my choice already. My next option will be to get a 16 core silver cable from some DIY cable maker in Singapore but tbh, the prices that they quote me are far too high of what I deem worthy of something as simple as a cable (More than 400SGD)

Meanwhile, with the MUC-M12SB1 can be had for around 200+SGD straight from Japan, with both the qualities and guarantees that comes from buying a Sony x Kimber Kable product.

Looks like I am actually gonna buy one when I get my Z1Rs then

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #11,619 of 15,431
To me the Sony Kimber cable was not in any meaningful way an improvement on the stock cable for the IER-Z1R (I had one that came with the second hand Z5 I had when I bought the Z1R). I bought the Dunu Blanche because I like what pure silver does, but mostly for the swappable tips so I don’t have to keep plugging and unplugging the cable from the shells
That is what I said. Kimber never bettered stock.

Mar 5, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #11,621 of 15,431
Hello everyone, I have a damaged left earbud socket. The piece in the middle seems broken and you can get no sound out it. It is out of the warranty period. Does anyone know of a repair shop or person in the United States who could help? Thanks everybody for this great community.

Mar 5, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #11,622 of 15,431
Hello everyone, I have a damaged left earbud socket. The piece in the middle seems broken and you can get no sound out it. It is out of the warranty period. Does anyone know of a repair shop or person in the United States who could help? Thanks everybody for this great community.
Several users in this thread has had a similar problem where a bit of the mmcx plug on the cable has broken off and got stuck in the socket of the bud. As I remember they have managed to get the stuck pice out with needle nose pliers and very fine screwdrivers. There have been several reports that Sony service partners have been told by Sony that both Z1R are considered irepairable so once out of warranty you are f…. Wether this is true I don’t know

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #11,624 of 15,431
I love the Z1r but, yes there is a but, i have been looking for spare parts in the UK. There is no way to get even spare tips and after contacting Sony i got a reply saying "find a local distributor". If there was one i would be contacting Sony. For this kind of price is kind of a joke that you can't find parts.
Pretty sure I have the original tips and would sell them to you pretty cheap

Mar 5, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #11,625 of 15,431
Well, thanks for the honest and realistic news. If anyone has a left earpiece for sale, please let me know? Thanks.
You might be interested in this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-ier-z1r-cable-defect-thread.957708/

Also, Reddit has some interesting posts and photos that may assist. A fast search will give the goods.
If yours has come apart in the typical way you may have a good chance of saving the ear piece with a little care and patience in extracting the cable end from the socket.
Nothing to loose and if you are successful then you just need a new cable. If you are at all capable of soldering, or have a contact that is, you could even save the cable.
Aftermarket replacement connectors are out there at reasonable prices.
These IEMs are way too pricey to give up without a fight. Sony ought to have better support…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back