SONY IER-Z1R
Sep 17, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #10,847 of 15,352
I'm using the Dunu Blanche silver which to me makes a small but meaningfull improvement on clarity and dynamics over the stock cable (which I actually find very good)
Thanks. I've read nice things about the Dunu. Re Plussound, I favor their light and thin X series (2-wire). I'm certain to get a silver or silver combo in my pursuit of dynamics and musicality. Nice that you see an improvement with Dunu over stock.

Sep 17, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #10,848 of 15,352
Thanks. I've read nice things about the Dunu. Re Plussound, I favor their light and thin X series (2-wire). I'm certain to get a silver or silver combo in my pursuit of dynamics and musicality. Nice that you see an improvement with Dunu over stock.
The sq difference is small. My main gain from the Dunu is better ergonomics round the ear and the swappable plugs

Sep 17, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #10,849 of 15,352
I'm going to use my FiiO LC-4.4D and see how it sounds. I've been holding bc I have broken MMCX connectors before from switching them out too much.
Indeed. Which is why I'm using the OE Audio 2-pin to MMCX adapter. (I'm curious whether others don't rotate, but I'm happy.) It stays in while I cable roll 2-pin cables.
The sq difference is small. My main gain from the Dunu is better ergonomics round the ear and the swappable plugs
I agree those are important considerations. :wink: Thanks for further clarifying.

Sep 17, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #10,850 of 15,352
There is not much info about what Sony is using in its cables.

Conventional wisdom is that silver plated cables tend to sound harsh, vs copper cables or cables with solid silver conductors. In addition, cables with OCC/single crystal silver tend to sound smoother - but I don't have first hand experience with that. And there's no indication whether Sony uses OCC silver (or copper for that matter).

Sep 17, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #10,851 of 15,352
There is not much info about what Sony is using in its cables.

Conventional wisdom is that silver plated cables tend to sound harsh, vs copper cables or cables with solid silver conductors. In addition, cables with OCC/single crystal silver tend to sound smoother - but I don't have first hand experience with that. And there's no indication whether Sony uses OCC silver (or copper for that matter).
Roger all. As nc8000 said, part of the hunt is for better ergonomics. But I'm now a believer in how different materials affect sound, as you're touching on, ever since connecting two different UPOCC copper cables to my U12t -- one pair with gold plating. Just the addition of gold plating made a large (to my ears) difference in presence/musicality. But only for the U12t, not the Sony IER-Z1R. Sony says their copper is silver coated and people seem to generally like the Sony cable's sound, so I thought to try silver instead of the straight copper I'm now using. But Plussound has three different silver combinations to choose from, each progressively more expensive. I've read reviews for all three, but none with the IER-Z1R. And, per above, I know a cable that works for one IEM may not suit another. And that one of the three silver choices would be "best" to my ears. I suppose I could buy all three and sell two here. Tempting thought, actually. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #10,852 of 15,352
Roger all. As nc8000 said, part of the hunt is for better ergonomics. But I'm now a believer in how different materials affect sound, as you're touching on, ever since connecting two different UPOCC copper cables to my U12t -- one pair with gold plating. Just the addition of gold plating made a large (to my ears) difference in presence/musicality. But only for the U12t, not the Sony IER-Z1R. Sony says their copper is silver coated and people seem to generally like the Sony cable's sound, so I thought to try silver instead of the straight copper I'm now using. But Plussound has three different silver combinations to choose from, each progressively more expensive. I've read reviews for all three, but none with the IER-Z1R. And, per above, I know a cable that works for one IEM may not suit another. And that one of the three silver choices would be "best" to my ears. I suppose I could buy all three and sell two here. Tempting thought, actually. :wink:
Now I am really curious to hear what you find...

Sep 18, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #10,854 of 15,352
There was some discussion about whether there were adapters (MMCX<->CM) that were safe to use, and also about the Dunu interchangeable plug system, which makes it much easier to use a single cable on multiple DAPs which have different Audio sockets for their output (4.4mm, 3.5mm, 2.5mm).

On the IEM plug side, Effect Audio has their ConX system, with interchangeable IEM plugs, which works quite well. Here is a picture of it on a Sony IER-M9. It is a neat, solid connection. The cable is a HanSound Kinera hybrid.
This ConX system is a good solution where you have a favorite cable that you want to use/try on multiple IEMs. For expensive cables, being able to change the IEM plug is a simple solution to allow it to be used on multiple IEMs with different plugs. One advantage is that you can easily try the cable synergy with different IEMs, without needing to search for a cable with the right IEM plug. The ConX option ordered from EA, costs US$50 You have some assurance that this is a decent quality plug, though, which you cannot be sure of, with cheap online adapter plugs. And the ConX is a much more solid connection than an adapter.

Effect Audio cables can be ordered with the ConX installed, or they will re-terminate a cable for you.

https://twister6.com/2021/02/05/in-a-snapshot-effect-audio-conx-modular-connector/

ea_conx-05.jpg
Effect Audio ConX.jpg

Sep 20, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #10,855 of 15,352
Sep 20, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #10,856 of 15,352
What does the "WBA" in your signature stand for?
Will Buy Again 😂

A friend of mine absolutely loved my set and its serial number so he wanted to trade his SHICHIKU.KANGEN (which was also originally mine lol) for it.

It was a crazy trade all around us Canuck boys 🤣

Our IEMs got passed around the three of us.

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #10,858 of 15,352
How does the Shichiku Kangen compare with the Z1R?
In regards to sub-bass and low mids, I say the SK hits and rumbles ever so deeper in the sub-bass and gives the lower mids more body and weight. The Z1R is just a tad bit more mid-bass biased so this gives the bass a bit more fun when it comes to electronic music and jazz. The SK excels more in acoustic and orchestral music as it doesn’t give off heavier sounding notes on the bass instruments. It’s a “cleaner sound. In the upper-mids and treble though, the Z1R is more forward. It has loads of energy in this section. Female vocals have more body and edge to them compared to a leaner and airier approach on the SK. On the treble side the Z1R gives off an energetic presentation and can be somewhat overbearing to some but to me, I love it. While it does have tons of energy to me it lacks the delicate sparkle the SK gives off. So it’ll definitely be a preference thing.

The SK for me is a better IEM for genres with a lot of acoustical dynamics and the Z1R for genres with more of a fun and energetic groove to them.

Hence I’m gonna buy another Z1R soon as it is the easier one to buy 😂

And I couldn’t say no to such an amazing deal from an even more amazing friend.

Sep 21, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #10,859 of 15,352
In regards to sub-bass and low mids, I say the SK hits and rumbles ever so deeper in the sub-bass and gives the lower mids more body and weight. The Z1R is just a tad bit more mid-bass biased so this gives the bass a bit more fun when it comes to electronic music and jazz. The SK excels more in acoustic and orchestral music as it doesn’t give off heavier sounding notes on the bass instruments. It’s a “cleaner sound. In the upper-mids and treble though, the Z1R is more forward. It has loads of energy in this section. Female vocals have more body and edge to them compared to a leaner and airier approach on the SK. On the treble side the Z1R gives off an energetic presentation and can be somewhat overbearing to some but to me, I love it. While it does have tons of energy to me it lacks the delicate sparkle the SK gives off. So it’ll definitely be a preference thing.

The SK for me is a better IEM for genres with a lot of acoustical dynamics and the Z1R for genres with more of a fun and energetic groove to them.

Hence I’m gonna buy another Z1R soon as it is the easier one to buy 😂

And I couldn’t say no to such an amazing deal from an even more amazing friend.
Getting the point where if I didn't own the Z1R I'd consider buying 2nd hand or waiting on the followup. Def think they will stick with the linear audio path design and partial cross over design. Prob will need to tweak size too. What do people think ? Id not be surprised if Sony made their own orthodynamic driver from scratch as would potentially deliver bass and full range perhaps in smaller package ... that or stick with triple driver but they're killing it with the DD tweeter imo but perhaps an electrostatic one could be easier to drive? As I am only loving the high end of Z1R now with hugo ..on mojo it was just OK.

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #10,860 of 15,352
Will Buy Again 😂

A friend of mine absolutely loved my set and its serial number so he wanted to trade his SHICHIKU.KANGEN (which was also originally mine lol) for it.
i have never come across those, but the tech and shell work are very impressive. they had me when they said "urushi"

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back