SONY IER-Z1R
Sep 21, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #10,861 of 15,277
Quiet a very definition of “Portable EndGame”. This is like a perfect synergies for Z1R

FiiO Silver Litz Cables

Ibasso Dx300Max-Titanium (3MTi)

83AC2879-9D3E-4B60-A840-5D2AD128967E.jpeg

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #10,862 of 15,277
Z1R

FiiO Silver Litz Cables
i tried connecting my LC cable to the Z1R, didnt have a great feeling fit and it was next to impossible to pull out the MMCX. i had to pull it out bc i put the L iem to the R side of the cable. i was 100% sure i was going to bend it before i could get it out. now im going to have to go back and try it bc i didnt have a chance to listen to it.

Sep 21, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #10,863 of 15,277
i have never come across those, but the tech and shell work are very impressive. they had me when they said "urushi"
Same man lol

I’m a sucker for well designed stuff 😂

It’s quite the art piece and craftsmanship.

Sep 22, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #10,864 of 15,277
I need some advice from those of you who’ve tried cable swapping.

I have heard over and over that the stock Sony 4.4 is the best for the Z1Rs. Well unfortunately mine have had a small accident, but they still work perfectly. In due time they are going to bite the dust, so I’m looking to be a bit proactive.

I can either get the stock 4.4 from a Sony distributor for around $138 shipped OR spend a significant more on an aftermarket cable.

Now, I wouldn’t mind a nicer looking cable to match the gorgeous IEMs, but I do not want to sacrifice any sound performance at all. Not one iota.

Anybody with experience with aftermarket cables they like to share with me? I’m planning on getting the replacement cable this week.
It's a long time gone,but I've now found the sweet spot re. Z1Rs/cable issue. Campfire Audio balanced solid silver cable + Z1Rs,and in my case,foam tips.Trust me,I've tried silicone custom molds,all kinds of other cables,the entire gamut. I'm VERY happy with what I now have.It's all about synergy ,and this trio is,STILL,seriously World Class!!

Sep 23, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #10,865 of 15,277
To all the people who think the IER-Z1R doesn't have good or enough mids.

Have you tried listening to "Where Shade Once Was" from Agalloch? With the IER-Z1R, one of the most beautiful mids i've ever heard.

Yes, the IER-Z1R still sound cold and are not a mid-focused earphone but with this song, wow!

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #10,867 of 15,277
Campfire Audio balanced solid silver cable + Z1Rs
I tried the Z1R with my FiiO LC 4.4mm balanced cable last night (finally). I liked that the mids were more forward and it lowers the bass moderately, but i feel like the pins are not secure enough and would eventually damage/wear the MMCX on the IEM itself. So I'm going to use the stock cable since i like how it sounds for the majority of music i listed too and i love the sub/mid bass.

Sep 29, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #10,869 of 15,277
How to clean the nozzle foam from wax? I think after a long time of listening it could remain on the foam

I just use those tiny brushes we get bundled with IEMS and CIEMS and lightly dust it off. The foam doesn't look strong or strongly adhered so I'd rather not mess with it too drastically.

Sep 30, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #10,870 of 15,277
I posted this in the DMP-Z1 thread since I used my DMP to demo both the IERs.
I picked up a Meze Rai Penta yesterday even though I was totally set on getting the
IER-Z1R but after going back and forth listening for 2 hours I couldn't pull the trigger on the Sony IER-Z1R plus it was not comfortable. The Rai Penta sounded a lot more relaxed with better highs and the comfort level was outstanding.

I have the MDR-Z1R so I did want the IER-Z1R naturally being a huge Sony but just couldn't do it, maybe another time...!

Oct 3, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #10,871 of 15,277
Those looking for an mmcx adapter that will work with the IER-Z1R can look here:

US $9.34 11%OFF | MMCX Converter 0.78MM Headset Converter Plug 0.78mm to mmcx mmcx to qdc JH EXK ie8 HD650 MH334
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqY7Cbo

I originally bought mine for the UF YSS and they work flawlessly on the Z1R. Very happy I can use my 2pin cables with this iem.

Nothing against the Sony stock cables, they are good. But I like trying different cables.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #10,872 of 15,277
So I tried all the ear tips I could find and figure I’ll share the results.

-The stock hybrids are the clearest / sharpest. Decent noise blocking. Look ok.

-The Triple comfort warmed the sound a bit but were a pain in the ass to fit and keep in my ears. Terrible wear / consumption. Look cool until you use them a bit.

-The spinfit were too slippery. They did not reduce the time during insertion to get a good fit. Terrible passive noise blocking. Sound is too sharp. Look bad.

-I didn’t like the sound with the Comply and I don’t like the underwater effect. Very good noise blocking. On the sharp side sound wise. Look cheap.

-The foam from the WF-1000XM are awesome. The best noise blocking out of them all, stayed in my ear the best, easiest insertion. The worst in terms of wear and consumption, you’ll need to buy many pairs of these. Excellent sound, warms things up for sure though. Look very cool. Excellent bass. Best foams ever. Warm sound, not sharp but not muddied.

-The Final E everyone talks about are nice. Good insertion, but don’t stay in my ears so well because they’re slippery, but not as slippery as the spin fits. Good sound, Not as sharp as the stock hybrids or spin fits but more than the rest. The white look cool.

-The best for me were the Symbios. Wow. Nice insertion, excellent noise blocking just not as good as the comply or WF-1000XM tips. Look badass, look the best out of all. The orange pairs well with my NW-A105TPS vintage looking Walkman. The sound to me is excellent. Not too sharp, not too muddy. Sharper than the triple comfort, WF’s, Comply, not as sharp as the Finals, Stock hybrids or the Spinfits. Bass is awesome, but not warm or good as the WFs. So overall excellent bass and clean treble. Silicone does NOT slip out at all even when just out of the shower. *Caution* the foam is dense. If you buy the size you use in all the other ear tips it will hurt like hell, totally intolerable even for a short period. Like a burn and the pressure causes actual pain. I sized down one and they are perfect.

For what it’s worth.

Oct 3, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #10,873 of 15,277
Also I tried the Dunu Blanche. I really tried to hear a difference. I heard a sound that was more isolated with instruments and sharper. It was not a significant difference. I do not like the way it looks. The MMCX match the chrome and look nice. Yes their diameter is about 15% less than the stock ones but it didn’t look bad. One disconnected way too easily that I would be concerned about it disconnecting unintentionally. The other was almost impossible to remove. The rounded cable manager doesn’t jive with the cylindrical cable separator. Looks dissonant. The separator is also that dumb looking carbon fiber finish that all the cheap cables have. The quick change plugs have a little bit of play in them so that they don’t stay completely horizontal, that was a big disappointment. It’s also an absurdly long plug when put together. It sticks out so much that you could easily get it caught on something and I can imagine it breaking. The silver braided cable, to me, just doesn’t look as nice as that subtle perlage in the stock cable which mirrors the perlage on the headphones. The ear hooks are invisible to your ear, incredibly light. The cable is much lighter and extremely pliable, much more so than the stock cable, but I actually didn’t like that. The cable itself exudes quality, but the connections (besides the MMCX) just didn’t.

I am returning it without any trepidation.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #10,874 of 15,277
Quiet a very definition of “Portable EndGame”. This is like a perfect synergies for Z1R

FiiO Silver Litz Cables

Ibasso Dx300Max-Titanium (3MTi)

83AC2879-9D3E-4B60-A840-5D2AD128967E.jpeg

Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back