SONY IER-Z1R
Sep 8, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #10,816 of 15,237
I would like to hear back after the burn-in if you spot any noticeable difference between the Master line vs stock. I might want to try it out on the Variations (but Ultimate) since I've been in love with it recently. But if it can make the Z1R even better, I might have to invest. (Not a firm cable believer but we'll see!)
Sure, I’ll be back soon with impressions:)
The only problem that is quite hard to swap cables during A/B tests due to the z1r special connector type

Sep 8, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #10,817 of 15,237
The only problem that is quite hard to swap cables during A/B tests due to the z1r special connector type
Yes for that exact reason I have not done any proper A/B testing on the Z1R. When I got my Blanche I did 100 hours burn in and all A/B testing with my JH13 and then just before plugging it into the Z1R I did some last minute listening with the stock cable and then again on the same tracks with the Blanche. To me the difference is small but there seems to be a little but more control/sparkle/clarity with the Blanche. The main benefit though is better comfort and the swappable tips

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #10,818 of 15,237

I did this to demo the Z1Rs with the Kann 4.4 vs mojo SE and partly why I feel my original sony cable shroud came off on of the connectors. I got new cables and those ain't ever coming off.

Sep 8, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #10,819 of 15,237
Yes for that exact reason I have not done any proper A/B testing on the Z1R. When I got my Blanche I did 100 hours burn in and all A/B testing with my JH13 and then just before plugging it into the Z1R I did some last minute listening with the stock cable and then again on the same tracks with the Blanche. To me the difference is small but there seems to be a little but more control/sparkle/clarity with the Blanche. The main benefit though is better comfort and the swappable tips
I've ordered Blanche for my planar iems customs, which will be ready the next week I hope, heard a lot of good feedback about this cable and looking forward to trying it.

I did this to demo the Z1Rs with the Kann 4.4 vs mojo SE and partly why I feel my original sony cable shroud came off on of the connectors. I got new cables and those ain't ever coming off.
I would say that Sony designs to create special MMCX might not be the best for those users who tend to experiments :) What new cables did you get? Also the stock one but new or from another brand?

Also, I noticed that you have Hugo 2 + z1r. What you can say about it? I think about buy Hugo 2 and would appreciate hearing feedback about this pair.
Btw is it possible to connect 4.4 throws the adapter to 3.5 out of Hugo?

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #10,820 of 15,237
I would like to hear back after the burn-in if
you're supposed to burn in cables too?

I might be switching to my Fiio LC-4.4D silver cable if it helps bring the mids forward more. I was listening to the 80s song "Bizarre Love Triange" - New Order last night and the vocals seemed like they were a back track, couldnt hear them at all. I just don't switch out too much due to the horror stories of the mmcx breaking.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #10,821 of 15,237
you're supposed to burn in cables too?

I might be switching to my Fiio LC-4.4D silver cable if it helps bring the mids forward more. I was listening to an 80s song last night and the vocals seemed like they were a back track, couldnt hear them at all. I just don't switch out too much due to the horror stories of the mmcx breaking.
That is even more contentious than the argument about cables even making a difference. I’ve had an experience that made me believe in cable burn in

Sep 8, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #10,822 of 15,237
I've ordered Blanche for my planar iems customs, which will be ready the next week I hope, heard a lot of good feedback about this cable and looking forward to trying it.

I would say that Sony designs to create special MMCX might not be the best for those users who tend to experiments :) What new cables did you get? Also the stock one but new or from another brand?

Also, I noticed that you have Hugo 2 + z1r. What you can say about it? I think about buy Hugo 2 and would appreciate hearing feedback about this pair.
The Hugo 2 is the best pairing I’ve heard with the Z1R, it absolutely eats up all that extra power. Honestly it’s another level to everything I’ve heard including the SE200 and Cube (with the Z1R)… the z1r really scales up quite well.

Sep 8, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #10,823 of 15,237
Perhaps this has already been said, but I bought these clear stretchy rubber covers for my ier-Z1r. I use them when I commute with the Z1Rs because the cable has a tendency to get caught on my bag, or a passing doorknob, luckily so far it hasn’t been a cement sidewalk that they fell onto and dragged on. Anyway with these on they can’t dent or scratch. I remove the covers when I want to appreciate their beauty more or am stationary for a bit, but they don’t look too bad on either!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08V8JDBXK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1BA87VEF8S3C9AYRWG7K

I know, it’s like putting a bra on your Bugatti. But if you want to commute with them there really isn’t another responsible way. Usually I commute with my IER-NW510N which work with my NW-A100 to noise cancel. But sometimes their sound just isn’t satisfying enough after the Z1Rs!

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #10,824 of 15,237
Perhaps this has already been said, but I bought these clear stretchy rubber covers for my ier-Z1r. I use them when I commute with the Z1Rs because the cable has a tendency to get caught on my bag, or a passing doorknob, luckily so far it hasn’t been a cement sidewalk that they fell onto and dragged on. Anyway with these on they can’t dent or scratch. I remove the covers when I want to appreciate their beauty more or am stationary for a bit, but they don’t look too bad on either ! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08V8JDBXK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1BA87VEF8S3C9AYRWG7K
does it have an opening for the bass vent?

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #10,826 of 15,237
Where’s that? It doesn’t seem to cover anything but metal
There is a small hole somewhere on the housing, can’t remember precisely where and I don’t have mine with me atm.

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #10,827 of 15,237
There is a small hole somewhere on the housing, can’t remember precisely where and I don’t have mine with me atm.
I do have mine and I couldn't find a hole

????

I guess its nothing you cant fix with a pin/small nail.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #10,829 of 15,237
I cut out a small hole for it, the covers themselves don't have a hole for it! Massive design blunder if you ask me. The vents are just below the left and right indicators on the housings I believe.
ok, that makes sense. I saw them on the bottom but wasn't sure bc of their location and shape. thanks for pointing it out.

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #10,830 of 15,237

I just got the same cable again. Was free under EU warranty. I live in Spain but got them via Sony Centre Wembeley in UK and haggled them down to 1500 sterling from 2000 ... I just pointed them to SONY USA site where they are 1700 dollars and said with exchange rate + 20 VAT the fair price is 1500 sterling so they just accepted it ha ... prob they never sell Z1Rs as they had to special order them and showing they sold a few prob makes them look good to the Sony Japan overlords :)

Yeah I got the Hugo 2 in April and I fn love it with the Z1Rs ... I had the mojo before and still do (not selling that) but never use it now. The separation and soundstaging of the Hugo2 is profound. The power also really makes the supertweeter work as intended whereas on the mojo it really wasn't enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back