SONY IER-Z1R
Jun 22, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #10,562 of 15,361
I don't want to take the risk for a $1,700 IEM if it may not work for me. I expect an IEM designed for my ears, not my ears get used to the IEM 😂
One word then ciem. No universal is going to be "designed for your ear" though naturally some will work better for any given ear than others, and the only way you can find out if a given one will work is to try it for a longer periode. And even a ciem will require your ears to get used to it or even sending it back for adjusting or remoulding

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #10,563 of 15,361
I don't want to take the risk for a $1,700 IEM if it may not work for me. I expect an IEM designed for my ears, not my ears get used to the IEM 😂
its tuning and overall packaging are unparallel. Personally, it was damn worth the blind buy. Still listen to it daily ever since (last year purchase).

Jun 22, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #10,564 of 15,361
One word then ciem. No universal is going to be "designed for your ear" though naturally some will work better for any given ear than others, and the only way you can find out if a given one will work is to try it for a longer periode
I have AKG N5005, Westone W80, I tried beyerdynamic Xelento and Sony IER-M9. All of them are more comfortable than IER-Z1R. Xelento is the most comfortable one, W80 is also good. Even M9 is better than Z1R. The Z1R's shape is optimized for sound, not for ears, and Z1R is quite heavy. Z1R sounds great! If your ears can fit you are lucky, otherwise, like me I would return it.

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #10,565 of 15,361
Have not tried those
Definitely give them a try.

It’s worth a shot!

I’ve probably spent over $200 on tips alone 🤣

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #10,566 of 15,361
I have AKG N5005, Westone W80, I tried beyerdynamic Xelento and Sony IER-M9. All of them are more comfortable than IER-Z1R. Xelento is the most comfortable one, W80 is also good. Even M9 is better than Z1R. The Z1R's shape is optimized for sound, not for ears, and Z1R is quite heavy. Z1R sounds great! If your ears can fit you are lucky, otherwise, like me I would return it.
Yes naturally return if the fit don't work out but give it more than 1 hour to get used to it

Jun 22, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #10,567 of 15,361
I'm pretty much running my Z1R fully stock now lol

I went through so many cables and tips, and I keep coming back to stock.
#stockz1rclub 😄

I’ve tried many different cables and tips and always go back to stock. Sony absolutely nailed the stock Z1R accessories imho.

Jun 22, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #10,568 of 15,361
Same here every thing stock .. though for a few weeks now, I am trying the Sennheiser IE900..
At this stage, I think I will probably end with IER-Z1R stock balanced cable and silicone tips :o2smile: and return the IE900 to Sennheiser (due to a terribly noisy cable and inappropriate stock tips)

Jun 22, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #10,569 of 15,361
Same here every thing stock .. though for a few weeks now, I am trying the Sennheiser IE900..
At this stage, I think I will probably end with IER-Z1R stock balanced cable and silicone tips :o2smile: and return the IE900 to Sennheiser (due to a terribly noisy cable and inappropriate stock tips)
How does the IE900 stack up to the Z1R?

Jun 22, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #10,570 of 15,361
Terribly noisy because its broken or because it's designed like that?

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #10,571 of 15,361
The fit and wearing experience will be totally individual, I can use them for 8 hours straight with absolutely no problems or discomfort

In fact issues of fit and comfort HEARD from others had put me off these for a while when it was released..........but then upon my first try I found that it's one of the most natural fit ever I've got from any UIEM and it's even more unthinkable with the heavy and seemingly ergonomically-disastrous alloy housing. It is such a natural fit that I can just push them in, without having to fiddle with it and without a need to re-adjust the fit in hours of wearing it (I seldom listen for more than 3 hours in one go but it seems doable). The front of the stock tips could stay at the first bend of my canal like forever. No discomfort whatsoever.

Jun 23, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #10,572 of 15,361
How does the IE900 stack up to the Z1R?
For me .. if I don't try to put my head on a side on a cushion, the IER-Z1R is much more comfortable (I know, a lot of people don't like the Z1R for comfort issues)...
For sound, it's a bit early to say with less than 3 weeks using it daily, but, basically, I really like the IE900, though the IER-Z1R has a bit wider stage and a bit cleaner and deeper ultra bass.
I would say, for fewer dollars, the IE900 should do the job perfectly with no EQ (though you have to find a better cable microphonic free and appropriate tips for your ears). You can use the IE900 on a cushion with your head on the side (impossible with IER-Z1R, I had to buy a Xelento to be able to do this).

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #10,573 of 15,361
It fits me perfectly. A slight bit large and heavy from what I’m using normally but once the music starts all is fine, actually better than fine! :)

Actually feels “good” in ear. If that makes any sense?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #10,574 of 15,361
Final E is a bit more bulbous in shape and the inner tube tapers steeper than the original - a tiny bit less comfy, a fair bit more mid bass resulting in a shallower overall bass, and very noticeably compromised highs (for some insertion depths that varies amongst people, the mid-highs may be emphasised against the rolled off highs too).

I very much prefer the stock silicon. Funny how I for once in god-knows-how-many years am so satisfied with the stock configuration that I really can't find a reason to switch to aftermarket tips or cables.
z1r is the only iem i am using it with its stock tips and cable, tried many cables, many tips, and every time went back to stock silicon tips and cable
i

Jun 24, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #10,575 of 15,361
image.jpg
oppo ha-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back