SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 21, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #9,617 of 15,264
Jan 21, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #9,618 of 15,264
How does the ier-z1r sound on wm1z compared to wm1a? Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thank-you for the complement.

And it is confusing as I have #124 which came out and was purchased in February of 2019. Since then the 1Z and 1A have had a multitude of firmware changes. Also it’s highly subjective as to what someone would want in relation to their personal sound goals. Meaning there has been so very many changes, there is probably no definitive answer.

For those of us who have started with Sony firmware 2.0, each player around the world actually offered a different sound. If you can imagine that; it was indicated by the region your player was from. Then Rockbox offered aftermarket region change options and the brigade of custom firmwares started. So in truth my opinion on which player was better actually changed a couple times. And so historically we started with firmware tunings which were based off Sony 3.00, 3.01 and 3.02........then at one point MrWalkman showed up with new complete new firmware.

And even with the new FE+ coming out this week, it’s still very subjective. In whole Sony has kept going into a more midrange emphasis tune since even before 2.0. So by the time the original Sony 3.02 came out then much of the heavy bass (to my ears) was removed from the 1Z, again making it superior to my ears. Where in the old days the 1A was faster and had cleaner bass than the 1Z. And remember if someone wanted to stay stock they would have the tone of whatever region their player came with as well as the Sony firmware choices of 2.00, 3.01 and 3.02. There are probably still people who have and use firmware before 2.00 on their players, but that’s from 2017-2018?

Though the biggest change has been how far the 1A has been (aftermarket firmware) improved; to the point........many of us believe the 1A was crippled to stay behind the 1Z. So in order to justify the 1Z $3200 price tag, many of us feel the 1A may have been de-tuned in order of placing it behind. There is no doubt that after changing the 1A to Japan region and adding aftermarket firmware that the 1A became much more valuable.

In the end there is no clear answer which is best for the IER-Z1R. To me now the 1Z is best, but during stock Sony 2.00 it was very much a concern that the 1Z bass was adding up to too much bass with the 2.00 bass character and IER-Z1R bass character. So even now the 1A offers just a slightly faster bass response. And it really depends on what IEM you use and what sound you are after to decide which player is best. Deep down though the 1Z offers that small percentage of difference where the bass has more physicality as well as the top end is more expanded out and detailed.

The 1Z is better but it’s only a small 10%-15% improvement. Though when you start to concentrate on that small improvement area, it becomes an entire new world unto itself. That small area the 1Z has an improvement can become everything....somehow?

The 1Z bass is thicker and the 1Z soundstage is bigger front to back. The 1Z has a small treble boost that expands out the upper area with tiny sparkles and detail. The 1A is simply L to R and remains more midrange. All and all they are different and each a character in their own way.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #9,619 of 15,264
Thank-you for the complement.

And it is confusing as I have #124 which came out and was purchased in February of 2019. Since then the 1Z and 1A have had a multitude of firmware changes. Also it’s highly subjective as to what someone would want in relation to their personal sound goals. Meaning there has been so very many changes, there is probably no definitive answer.

For those of us who have started with Sony firmware 2.0, each player around the world actually offered a different sound. If you can imagine that; it was indicated by the region your player was from. Then Rockbox offered aftermarket region change options and the brigade of custom firmwares started. So in truth my opinion on which player was better actually changed a couple times. And so historically we started with firmware tunings which were based off Sony 3.00, 3.01 and 3.02........then at one point MrWalkman showed up with new complete new firmware.

And even with the new FE+ coming out this week, it’s still very subjective. In whole Sony has kept going into a more midrange emphasis tune since even before 2.0. So by the time the original Sony 3.02 came out then much of the heavy bass (to my ears) was removed from the 1Z, again making it superior to my ears. Where in the old days the 1A was faster and had cleaner bass than the 1Z. And remember if someone wanted to stay stock they would have the tone of whatever region their player came with as well as the Sony firmware choices of 2.00, 3.01 and 3.02. There are probably still people who have and use firmware before 2.00 on their players, but that’s from 2017-2018?

Though the biggest change has been how far the 1A has been (aftermarket firmware) improved; to the point........many of us believe the 1A was crippled to stay behind the 1Z. So in order to justify the 1Z $3200 price tag, many of us feel the 1A may have been de-tuned in order of placing it behind. There is no doubt that after changing the 1A to Japan region and adding aftermarket firmware that the 1A became much more valuable.

In the end there is no clear answer which is best for the IER-Z1R. To me now the 1Z is best, but during stock Sony 2.00 it was very much a concern that the 1Z bass was adding up to too much bass with the 2.00 bass character and IER-Z1R bass character. So even now the 1A offers just a slightly faster bass response. And it really depends on what IEM you use and what sound you are after to decide which player is best. Deep down though the 1Z offers that small percentage of difference where the bass has more physicality as well as the top end is more expanded out and detailed.

The 1Z is better but it’s only a small 10%-15% improvement. Though when you start to concentrate on that small improvement area, it becomes an entire new world unto itself. That small area the 1Z has an improvement can become everything....somehow?

The 1Z bass is thicker and the 1Z soundstage is bigger front to back. The 1Z has a small treble boost that expands out the upper area with tiny sparkles and detail. The 1A is simply L to R and remains more midrange. All and all they are different and each a character in their own way.
Thank you for the input! I love the wm1 brothers and its OS. Just itching to find out if its worth to upgrade from wm1a with mr.walkman's firmware to the 1z also with mr.walkmans firmware. Especially now since i found a wm1z for 2950 cad.

Jan 22, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #9,621 of 15,264
Jan 22, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #9,622 of 15,264
Hey Guys

Ok so you may remember I was waxing lyrical about the triple comfort sony tips a few weeks ago. The SQ I found was superior with better bass but unfortunately overtime the tips have started making little distracting noises randomly, like the foam is compressing / decompressing. Yesterday I switched back to the hybrid silicon tips but sized up for a better seal. Better but still the seal just isn't at the same level as the foam tips and I notice less bass. Not displeasing but just less thick in the subbass.

Can anyone recommend tips that do not stray from the sony bore size so the bass characteristics do not change, but which achieve better seal and isolation akin to sony foamies?

Jan 22, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #9,623 of 15,264
Hey Guys

Ok so you may remember I was waxing lyrical about the triple comfort sony tips a few weeks ago. The SQ I found was superior with better bass but unfortunately overtime the tips have started making little distracting noises randomly, like the foam is compressing / decompressing. Yesterday I switched back to the hybrid silicon tips but sized up for a better seal. Better but still the seal just isn't at the same level as the foam tips and I notice less bass. Not displeasing but just less thick in the subbass.

Can anyone recommend tips that do not stray from the sony bore size so the bass characteristics do not change, but which achieve better seal and isolation akin to sony foamies?
like....Final E types?

Jan 22, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #9,624 of 15,264
I'm size L using the stock Sony comfort tips. These just turned up and I'm size M with the Xelastecs.

Initial impressions are they don't feel as comfy as the Sony comfort tips. Sound wise they have given me a slight positive bias on the bottom end.

I would say these are better suited for sweaty ears and/or more active use. The grip in the ear is sensational - I don't feel them slipping whatsoever (maybe that's why they don't feel as comfy cos of the added friction). Ooo-errrr

Attachments

• 20210122_142233.jpg
    20210122_142233.jpg
    956.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #9,625 of 15,264
I'm size L using the stock Sony comfort tips. These just turned up and I'm size M with the Xelastecs.

Initial impressions are they don't feel as comfy as the Sony comfort tips. Sound wise they have given me a slight positive bias on the bottom end.

I would say these are better suited for sweaty ears and/or more active use. The grip in the ear is sensational - I don't feel them slipping whatsoever (maybe that's why they don't feel as comfy cos of the added friction). Ooo-errrr

Had a good 3 or so hours now with these Xelastecs. A fair bit harder to fit I'd say, a little more persuasion needed if they are stone cold. Comfort improves as they warm up to body temperature. Grip stays solid throughout wearing them even with head movement and jaw movements. I found the Sony comforts would dislodge with any excessive movements causing degraded sound quality. Xelastecs materials and design is very good indeed.

I will probably use the Sony comforts when I am completely still/resting and the Xelastecs for anything else.

As previously stated I find a slight positive bias towards lower frequencies. Probably because of the better/deeper seal with the Xelastecs. I dare say if I went a size smaller on the Sony comfort I'd get the same results. However, the comfort buds I use are the right size for comfort. Bass in both situations is still outrageously superb!

I knew the stock Sony ones would be equal to any aftermarket solution as wearing the Sony comfort tips makes me forget I'm actually wearing IEMs. Xelastecs don't have that luxury, not that they are uncomfortable. YMMV

Really enjoying Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the Night (specifically; Isn't it midnight and You and I, part II). Fell out with my Sony ZX507 earlier for becoming mega sluggish after the latest firmware release but luckily this community showed the Chinese firmware light and now smiles beam beyond sight.

Blimey! Me loves this setup.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #9,628 of 15,264
Good tip. I've just edited my post above with added opinions.

I just stick them in my mouth and moisten them before inserting in ears

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #9,629 of 15,264

Users who are viewing this thread

Back