SONY IER-Z1R
Jun 16, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #7,876 of 15,382
Still feeling sore after all the tip fiddling yesterday...

1592309983795.png

Think I'll need a day or two of rest before using these again. Let it be a lesson.

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #7,877 of 15,382
Still feeling sore after all the tip fiddling yesterday...
Think I'll need a day or two of rest before using these again. Let it be a lesson.

After messing around with tips and cables and how to position and insert them for some 10 days now, I finally had a couple of hours when I effectively forgot that I had them in my ears. I guess you can get used to them. Just don't keep them in when you feel any kind of pain or discomfort. What I always do is take them out every once in a while and reinsert them even when nothing feels wrong.

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #7,878 of 15,382
This z1r seem interesting! I’d be coming from EE Legend X. Seems like a tough decision from the comparisons I’ve read.

I have both and love the Legend X for the huge bass, but I prefer the Z1R for every other category sound-wise. Only issue I have with the Z1R is that part of the shell (stem below the mmcx connector) touches a part of my ear and can be uncomfortable at times.

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #7,879 of 15,382
Well, took the plunge today towards getting custom eartips/ Got impressions made, and placed an order for custom tips from advanced sound. I know there are likely cheaper options via custom art, but keeping it in the US, and having them made specifically to fit the z1r should be good. Hopefully they completely solve my comfort issues (assuming I did everything right getting the molds made). And I figure after this amount of time in the hobby, probably a good idea in case I decide to actually look for custom IEMs at some point.

Really just adore the sound of these. And every time I come back to them after trying others, I remember how much I like them. Then my ears start to hurt. Hoping to solve that last part.

And now I wait. Hopefully it wont be much more than 2 or 3 weeks, but wouldnt surprise me if it takes a good month considering shipping both the impressions there and shipping it all back.

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #7,880 of 15,382
Well, took the plunge today towards getting custom eartips/ Got impressions made, and placed an order for custom tips from advanced sound. I know there are likely cheaper options via custom art, but keeping it in the US, and having them made specifically to fit the z1r should be good. Hopefully they completely solve my comfort issues (assuming I did everything right getting the molds made). And I figure after this amount of time in the hobby, probably a good idea in case I decide to actually look for custom IEMs at some point.

Really just adore the sound of these. And every time I come back to them after trying others, I remember how much I like them. Then my ears start to hurt. Hoping to solve that last part.

And now I wait. Hopefully it wont be much more than 2 or 3 weeks, but wouldnt surprise me if it takes a good month considering shipping both the impressions there and shipping it all back.

Good luck with that whole process...I hope it works out.

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #7,881 of 15,382
Good luck with that whole process...I hope it works out.
Thanks. I was always a bit hesitant before. But I figure Ill now have them available to go custom should I want to or at the very least make other custom tips for my other IEMs. Assuming this solves the issue, I am hoping it kills any desire to keep buying IEMs for a while. And then I guess I will likely have to decide whats going to get to stay in the collection, solaris 2020, trio, andromeda gold... Atlas is probably sticking around regardless though.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #7,882 of 15,382
Thanks. I was always a bit hesitant before. But I figure Ill now have them available to go custom should I want to or at the very least make other custom tips for my other IEMs. Assuming this solves the issue, I am hoping it kills any desire to keep buying IEMs for a while. And then I guess I will likely have to decide whats going to get to stay in the collection, solaris 2020, trio, andromeda gold... Atlas is probably sticking around regardless though.

How much does it cost for the whole process of those custom tips?
And good luck!

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #7,883 of 15,382
How much does it cost for the whole process of those custom tips?
And good luck!
The molds were $30 per ear at the audiologist I went to, and the tips from advanced sound were $150 (though they give a code for 10% off first purchase). So total was right around $200 with shipping (to ship off molds).

Custom art does custom eartips for I think about $75usd after conversion, so it can definitely be done cheaper than advanced sound. But they are in Poland, which is something I didn't want to deal with right now being in the US.

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #7,884 of 15,382
And then I guess I will likely have to decide whats going to get to stay in the collection, solaris 2020, trio, andromeda gold

I look forward to your account of what surely will be a mighty battle...and may the best IEM(s) win!

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #7,885 of 15,382
I'm on the same boat, but I don't want to use non-stock cables or keep swapping them around especially for the reasons others just mentioned. That's why I really wish I could find a 4.4mm extension cable to not be tethered so closely to the TA. But it seems like almost no one is making them. I've only seen this 3m one by Delock, but they only seem to have dealers in some parts of Europe:

https://www.delock.com/produkt/85798/merkmale.html

So my workaround for now is to use a 4.4mm female to double 3.5mm male adapter, which was advertised for use with a PHA-3, and two simple 3.5mm cables going into the second balanced output of the TA.

On a separate question, I noticed that the Z1R's instruction manual has a warning section specifically about the "Triple Comfort" tips. It mentions specifically that because it was designed to provide better fit and sound isolation, there is a concern that they can also put more strain on your ears, and thus should be inserted and removed with even more care. Are these the "default" type of tips that Sony recommends? All the official stock photos I've seen have the Hybrid tips though.

When I started using the Z1Rs I defaulted to the "Hybrid" tips just because they are more like the conventional tips I'm used to. Maybe we can have a quick show of hands on what type of tips people here are using?
Hey, just an FYI that I was able to order that extension cable after all. I got it from Amazon U.K. shipped to me here in So Cal. I think it may have been the last one, but if so I’m sure they’ll get more in stock. Just hope now that the extension cable doesn’t degrade the sound of the stock cable.
Here it is:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZNZPR8N/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #7,886 of 15,382

Good luck, dude! I hope it works out! Please post pics and opinions once you get them.

Jun 17, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #7,887 of 15,382
The molds were $30 per ear at the audiologist I went to, and the tips from advanced sound were $150 (though they give a code for 10% off first purchase). So total was right around $200 with shipping (to ship off molds).

Not terrible I guess. Would be worth it if it actually ends up making these earphones comfortable to wear. I may opt for this as well if I can find an audiologist nearby, after covid calms down probably.

After praising the benefits of small tips earlier, I've since gone back to large tip + more shallow insertion, which preserves basically the same bass but with much less constant pressure on and in my ear. The battle continues.

Hey, just an FYI that I was able to order that extension cable after all. I got it from Amazon U.K. shipped to me here in So Cal.

Yep, it hadn't occurred to me to do an amazon search for that cable. It's actually sold on the regular US Amazon website as well, and ends up being a bit cheaper maybe? I ordered the 2m one since that'd be enough for me, though it hasn't shipped yet after 2 days even though it's marked as prime.
For now my double 3.5mm cable solution is doing the trick, don't notice any degradation with them, though it's less elegant than a single extension cable. I do like that it leaves the 4.4mm port available for another headphone on my TA though.

Jun 17, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #7,888 of 15,382
Not terrible I guess. Would be worth it if it actually ends up making these earphones comfortable to wear. I may opt for this as well if I can find an audiologist nearby, after covid calms down probably.

After praising the benefits of small tips earlier, I've since gone back to large tip + more shallow insertion, which preserves basically the same bass but with much less constant pressure on and in my ear. The battle continues.

Yep, it hadn't occurred to me to do an amazon search for that cable. It's actually sold on the regular US Amazon website as well, and ends up being a bit cheaper maybe? I ordered the 2m one since that'd be enough for me, though it hasn't shipped yet after 2 days even though it's marked as prime.
For now my double 3.5mm cable solution is doing the trick, don't notice any degradation with them, though it's less elegant than a single extension cable. I do like that it leaves the 4.4mm port available for another headphone on my TA though.
That's odd, I didn't find that cable on U.S. Amazon when I searched before, but yes, I see it there now. It's not Prime though, and looks like it actually sells from Amazon U.K. if you take a look at the seller, so it must be coming from the same place. And the price actually comes out to $3 more on the U.S. site. Just bought my TA recently. Besides the SE on the TA not being balanced, are there any other reasons it's not preferable to the 4.4? I heard it's just about equally as powerful.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #7,889 of 15,382
are there any other reasons it's not preferable to the 4.4? I heard it's just about equally as powerful.

On the TA the balanced outputs have significantly more power (1200mW vs 300mW). But in practice it'll depend on the headphone used whether it matters or not. But just in case, I'm using the balanced outputs whenever I can for headphones that support it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back