SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 6, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #7,066 of 15,271
I sold my Andromeda S exactly 1 week after I got my Z1r. After using the Z1r for a couple days, the Andromeda was hurting my ears, I simply couldn't use it for more than 30 min.
That's interesting, was it the sound or the fit?

Apr 6, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #7,067 of 15,271
That's interesting, was it the sound or the fit?
I keep my words on Z1r is still the best sounding IEM I've heard, specially when all I wanted was to sit down with a beer after a long stressful day and just relax. BUT, the fit...that was my Achilles heel. I couldn't handle it, that was my only flaw. I may regret not trying harder.

If you can get a good fit and seal, there's a big chance you will be more than happy with the Z1r.

Edit: I did share my impressions comparing Z1r, M9, A12t and Andromeda S, way back in this thread. Others shared some good impressions too.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #7,068 of 15,271
I keep my words on Z1r is still the best sounding IEM I've heard, specially when all I wanted was to sit down with a beer after a long stressful day and just relax. BUT, the fit...that was my Achilles heel. I couldn't handle it, that was my only flaw. I may regret not trying harder.

If you can get a good fit and seal, there's a big chance you will be more than happy with the Z1r.
Wow thanks for the reply! Not sure if my ears are the chosen ones though. :)

Apr 6, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #7,069 of 15,271
How bad is the sibilance on the IER-Z1R? If possible, do you know how it compares with Andromeda's sibilance? Thanks!
I've had the Andromeda OG and S (loved both) and still have the IER-Z1R. My impression was that the Z1R reveals sibilance more than either of the Andromeda. But at the same time the Z1R sound is the more correct one. If there is sibilance in the recording, you will hear it more clearly with the Z1R than the Andromeda, whose tuning might deliberately aim to reduce sibilance.

Apr 6, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #7,071 of 15,271
Had crap fitting with z1r So now I‘m to hunting for something else with a bit more bass (like z5 bass) will any of those campfire joints give me this?

I'd hold out for the Atlas's successor. Given that the Atlas is reduced currently it points to one coming. I'm anticipating a high end, bass orientated hybrid.

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #7,074 of 15,271
Why don't you find them great for metal more exactly?

No one sees the irony here? No great for metal, but the IER-Z1R is crafted from solid metal and is relatively heavier than any other IEM LOL.

Apr 6, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #7,077 of 15,271
--
No one sees the irony here? No great for metal, but the IER-Z1R is crafted from solid metal and is relatively heavier than any other IEM LOL.
To be fair, it's also rock solid, has electronic components inside, and if you're not careful, it'll pop right out of your ears, so there's that.
Lolz!

Apr 6, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #7,078 of 15,271

Edit: I did share my impressions comparing Z1r, M9, A12t and Andromeda S, way back in this thread. Others shared some good impressions too.
I'd hold out for the Atlas's successor. Given that the Atlas is reduced currently it points to one coming. I'm anticipating a high end, bass orientated hybrid.

The Atlas has great bass, but a lot of bass. I didn’t listen to it that long, but the bass was more pronounced than the IER-Z1R. Though all and all it was a similar sound signature to the IER. The fit was fantastic on the Atlas. It was one of those that you almost guess could fit everyone?

Another suggestion for bass would be the 64Audio N8 custom. Places have a universal to try to see if you like the sound, then you get ear impressions for a N8 CIEM. But again the N8 has A LOT of bass? :)

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #7,080 of 15,271
The Atlas has great bass, but a lot of bass. I didn’t listen to it that long, but the bass was more pronounced than the IER-Z1R. Though all and all it was a similar sound signature to the IER. The fit was fantastic on the Atlas. It was one of those that you almost guess could fit everyone?

Another suggestion for bass would be the 64Audio N8 custom. Places have a universal to try to see if you like the sound, then you get ear impressions for a N8 CIEM. But again the N8 has A LOT of bass? :)
I will put a bit of fuel in this fire, then...is the Atlas worth buying after having Z1r and LX? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back