SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 28, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #6,946 of 15,278
how does ier z1r sound with a brighter source. They seem to perform better with more bodied darker sources.

I run mine through a Chord Hugo 2 which is generally considered a bright DAC/Amp and with my old Shure SE846s the sound was too bright for me and I was going to return the H2 demo unit I had. I then got the Z1Rs and tried them with the H2 and the result was tamed harshness and a fantastic sounding pairing in my opinion. I bought the H2 after that. A measure of how great it sounds is when I decide to have a quick listening session and am still there 4 hours later not wanting to stop!

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #6,947 of 15,278
I run mine through a Chord Hugo 2 which is generally considered a bright DAC/Amp and with my old Shure SE846s the sound was too bright for me and I was going to return the H2 demo unit I had. I then got the Z1Rs and tried them with the H2 and the result was tamed harshness and a fantastic sounding pairing in my opinion. I bought the H2 after that. A measure of how great it sounds is when I decide to have a quick listening session and am still there 4 hours later not wanting to stop!
846 are not bright plus , get this , the 846 has filters to help you.

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #6,948 of 15,278
846 are not bright plus , get this , the 846 has filters to help you.

the 846 were great with other amps such as the Mojo I used to use them with, but I never found the different filters to make much of a difference, they just didn't seem to be a good match for the H2, and once I'd heard the Z1R there was no going back.

Mar 28, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #6,949 of 15,278

I have 846 and cant imagine them sounding bright with anything. I dont find the z1r harsh either even tho its more extended. z1rs treble is among the best ive ever heard cuz of it.

Mar 28, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #6,950 of 15,278
I have 846 and cant imagine them sounding bright with anything. I dont find the z1r harsh either even tho its more extended. z1rs treble is among the best ive ever heard cuz of it.
I agree with your Z1R comments they are outstanding, but you asked about with a bright source and that was my experience, it's all about synergy and the 846 / Hugo 2 combo just didn't work for me at all. Other people may have a different experience but for me it was awful and made me want to stop listening after about 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #6,951 of 15,278
I agree with your Z1R comments they are outstanding, but you asked about with a bright source and that was my experience, it's all about synergy and the 846 / Hugo 2 combo just didn't work for me at all. Other people may have a different experience but for me it was awful and made me want to stop listening after about 10 minutes.

I see. So you can confirm the z1r synergizing good with hugo 2 then. Have u also heard mojo with the z1r.

Mar 28, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #6,952 of 15,278
Another analogon I often find myself reminded of is the Flying Spaghetti Monster and its devoted disciples, the Pastafarians. :wink: I joke, but the thing is, we're indeed dealing with "believers" and "non-believers" here, and you will never be able to sort this out. It's an age-old debate, and one that will continue well beyond our lifetimes, never to get settled. And you're right, the burden of proof should lie with the believer, but a believer can't prove what he believes in, because then it wouldn't be a belief, would it? But good luck in persuading him that what he believes in it false. And who are we to say it is? Like you, I do hear differences between transducers, but hardly, if any, differences between DAPs, DACs or amps, not to speak of cables or firmwares. Others do. The thing is, we will never be able to decide either way. Are we deaf, or are they delusional? We'll never know! This used to drive me mad when I still gave a rat's ass, mostly because it's so infuriating to me to see people apparently swindled out of their hard-earned cash, but I've learned to let go. And hey, if it subjectively makes them happy, it is sort of a victimless crime, isn't it? Placebo is at least as mighty as the Flying Spaghetti Monster! :wink: And you're right that this forum is mostly populated by believers (or perhaps we should call them positivists), but there are other forums out there which are directed more at sceptics like ourselves. I try to keep my mind open as much as I can, collect as many data points as possible and form my own idea about what's what based on that. It's all any of us can do really ...

One thing I do find curious, however, is that every expensive aftermarket cable that is bought, every capacitor or internal wire that is swapped in for a predecessor that cost a fraction of it, unfailingly makes a "night and day" difference and always, always sounds better to whoever forked out for it. Food for thought ...
What a fool I am! Audio-fool, if you will.

I was reading the Wikipedia article on Audiophile (the section titled Controversies to be exact) and had a sudden moment of clarity. What the hell am I doing? Am I mad? Don't I know that all these arguments have all been presented before, by numerous others, time and time again, with no effect? The war still rages on and there shall be no peace. What could I possibly add to this conversation that hasn't already been said?! I went through this process before, just last year... I guess I just forgot.

Anyway, for a bit of comic relief, here is the renowned and highly esteemed Paul McGowan of PS Audio talking about whether sound quality can be measured. Spoiler alert: in the beginning of this video, Paul explains how multiple compilations of the same source code produce different sounding machine code.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #6,953 of 15,278
Sound is very much like sight. It’s been proven that men and women see colors differently and some people can distinguish the difference between certain shades that others can’t.

I’m sure the same goes for taste and smell. We are all not the same, nor are our senses.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #6,954 of 15,278
Sound is very much like sight. It’s been proven that men and women see colors differently and some people can distinguish the difference between certain shades that others can’t.

I’m sure the same goes for taste and smell. We are all not the same, nor are our senses.
But irrespective of all that, you still want your TV to display colors faithfully, don't you?

Mar 28, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #6,955 of 15,278
But irrespective of all that, you still want your TV to display colors faithfully, don't you?

Not necasarily. I want something that I find pleasing and that I enjoy and that might not be what the original signal sounded like or looked like. And since I wasn’t present at the recording time I don’t even know what it looked or sounded like

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #6,956 of 15,278
Is almost impossible to make two things sound exactly the same. So much variance in the process. This is from the objective side. Subjective everything can sound the same, even our mood and concentration changes the sound.

Anyway, this is the most active thread in this forum, missed it since I sold my Z1r. :)

Mar 28, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #6,957 of 15,278
Not necasarily. I want something that I find pleasing and that I enjoy and that might not be what the original signal sounded like or looked like. And since I wasn’t present at the recording time I don’t even know what it looked or sounded like
Fair enough. There are too many bit-perfect people in the world anyway. :wink:
Anyway, this is the most active thread in this forum, missed it since I sold my Z1r. :)
My secret mission (should I choose to accept it) is to make this thread overtake the Solaris thread. Muahahahaha... :)

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #6,958 of 15,278
Solaris thread
At least is being done with different topics that "fanatic religion" and "how they can be good and bad at the same time"

Mar 28, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #6,959 of 15,278
At least is being done with different topics that "fanatic religion" and "how they can be good and bad at the same time"
You probably meant *than, but I still don't understand it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back