SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 26, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #6,886 of 15,280
How would you compare the WM1Z and WM1A with the Z1R? I'm currently running the Z1R/1Z combo but also considering a second DAP... possibly

I liked the 1A and IER-Z1R combo better when there was just 3.01 update. Though 3.02 took some of the bass away from the 1Z and pushed the IER-1Z combo into first place IMO.

Though now it’s confusing. Simply as there are so many choices. I can tell you that I did most of my modification software tests on the 1A, though at some point I started to listen to the stock 3.02 with the 1Z and found it lackluster. Then of course I had to add firmware modifications to the 1Z to keep up. It wasn’t that the stock 3.02 and IER was not as good as the modified firmware 1A. It was just that there wasn’t a giant valley of differences between the two players anymore. The problem is that even with modifications in firmware the 1A can have a slight brittle treble. That section is actually below the brighter treble of the 1Z. It’s just a character that the 1A has. There will still be firmwares whatever they are, which will enhance that issue. So even with the great benefits of the new firmwares; some work and some don’t. So I use Jupiter301 T1 with the 1A. I still haven’t changed destinations so I’m using a Japan Tourist model with the U firmware.

Mar 27, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #6,887 of 15,280
Though now it’s confusing. Simply as there are so many choices. I can tell you that I did most of my modification software tests on the 1A, though at some point I started to listen to the stock 3.02 with the 1Z and found it lackluster. Then of course I had to add firmware modifications to the 1Z to keep up. It wasn’t that the stock 3.02 and IER was not as good as the modified firmware 1A. It was just that there wasn’t a giant valley of differences between the two players anymore. The problem is that even with modifications in firmware the 1A can have a slight brittle treble. That section is actually below the brighter treble of the 1Z. It’s just a character that the 1A has. There will still be firmwares whatever they are, which will enhance that issue. So even with the great benefits of the new firmwares; some work and some don’t. So I use Jupiter301 T1 with the 1A. I still haven’t changed destinations so I’m using a Japan Tourist model with the U firmware.
Are you going to make the next step to "up-tier" your Walkmans: internal hardware modifications?

Mar 27, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #6,888 of 15,280
Are you going to make the next step to "up-tier" your Walkmans: internal hardware modifications?
The Sony TA-ZH1ES with the 1Z or 1A in the cradle connected to the back with the AQCarbon far surpasses both hand-helds. It WAS slightly dark having me mainly think of the 1Z as top dog. But after realizing there was a firmware update for the TA, that no one talked about; I updated. After putting 1.03 in the TA it became the best.

To answer your question; I’m not sure I could pass the TA up? It would be getting a DMP-Z1, which I simply wouldn’t buy.

So I already have what I guess is better than a modded Walkman.

Mar 27, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #6,889 of 15,280
The Sony TA-ZH1ES with the 1Z or 1A in the cradle connected to the back with the AQCarbon far surpasses both hand-helds. It WAS slightly dark having me mainly think of the 1Z as top dog. But after realizing there was a firmware update for the TA, that no one talked about; I updated. After putting 1.03 in the TA it became the best.

To answer your question; I’m not sure I could pass the TA up? It would be getting a DMP-Z1, which I simply wouldn’t buy.

So I already have what I guess is better than a modded Walkman.
I support your decision, but mostly because I believe the story about changing of power cables and capacitors to increase the performance of this highly engineered product is a pile of steaming ... Some people will get a kick out of tinkering with their walkman (or pay an absurd amount to have others do it) and they might even convince themselves that it sounds a lot better afterwards, but I also think that some people are gonna get burned and that's a shame.

Mar 27, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #6,890 of 15,280
I support your decision, but mostly because I believe the story about changing of power cables and capacitors to increase the performance of this highly engineered product is a pile of steaming ... Some people will get a kick out of tinkering with their walkman (or pay an absurd amount to have others do it) and they might even convince themselves that it sounds a lot better afterwards, but I also think that some people are gonna get burned and that's a shame.

The best way to look at it (if you choose) is that everything matters. Meaning it’s the firmware first as that is at the beginning along with the file quality. The next difference comes from supporting the quality of power to the DAC/amp. I have no question that these people who are doing physical modifications of their Walkmans are experiencing sound changes. How much change.......I don’t know?

First off tone is most important; meaning if you do hear a vastly better source it may still may not be what you want due to being too bright or too dark. Once tone is in place, you would be able to notice both bass and treble ability. You would then be able to hear better or off timbre character. But even within all this is speed as even if the tone is right, there are balances where if it’s not too bass thick in areas you may notice better pace.

These changes are going to be either minimal or grand. At times the changes can even sound like just color first off. But most people would agree the DMP-Z1 will sound better than a phone. They both play music but there are finite and scientifically proven differences you get by having a more involved amplification process and a higher resolve in DAC process.

The people upgrading there Walkmans are simply adding more expensive components adding to their device audiophile ability. If you personally don’t hear differences doesn’t mean others are delusional or crazy. Some people hear changes..........some don’t. All this still doesn’t disprove that there are mountains of fake enhancements for sale. Lol

But it’s funny because you have the audio nihilists who believe all amps sound the same and all cables sound the same. There are even a few who believe all DACs sound the same. Or if not the same the more expensive ones create the most distortion. In some ways that’s true that some equipment does create color. But the Walkman modding is getting better clarity and darker backgrounds. The modded Walkmans have more expensive and better capacitors and different wiring. The differences create a wider sound stage and better tone. When you say there is no truth to modification of a Walkman your basically saying there is no difference between a 1A and a 1Z. They sound different. Why?

A 1Z is a modded 1A.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #6,891 of 15,280
@Redcarmoose If there is one thing that I agree with this forum. But there are some people you should just avoid :wink:

It is the “policy” that you do not , should not and can not talk your mouth out of your ass like you know everything while you have not even lifted a finger or give a device a listen.

So I respectfully ask of you or anyone else to kindly disregard those baseless opinions, and stop responding

If it was me, I would always heed for the people who has real experiences rather than “oh, I only say it, because it is what I think but I have not actually done it”. On the internet or in real life

This is my favorite Quote “Opinion is like an Ass, and everyone has one”. It depends if you sit on your ass all day long, or do you take it to work and contribute toward the society

The images of a conversation Such as These are what I would be avoiding nowadays

A: “I don’t believe it, and you should not believe it”
B: “have you heard it ?”
A: No

Then the conversation should have been stopped right here

The same goes for modifications

A: I don’t believe modifications can improve the sound
B: Have you done it ?

Then the same also for for

A: I don’t believe that you are better than a manufacturer engineer. So I don’t believe you can improve the devices
B: Do you know what a Resistor is ? A capacitors ?
A: Yes I googled it
B: There are engineered “parameters”, do you understand all the values and meaning of it and how it behave within a circuit ?
A: I dont actually know how to solder a cables

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #6,892 of 15,280
@Redcarmoose If there is one thing that I agree with this forum.

It is the “policy” that you do not , should not and can not talk your mouth out of your ass like you know everything while you have not even lifted a finger or give a device a listen.

So I respectfully ask of you or anyone else to kindly disregard those baseless opinions, and stop responding

If it was me, I would always heed for the people who has real experiences rather than “oh, I only say it, because it is what I think but I have not actually done it”. On the internet or in real life

This is my favorite Quote “Opinion is like an Ass, and everyone has one”. It depends if you sit on your ass all day long, or do you take it to work and contribute toward the society

The images of a conversation Such as These are what I would be avoiding nowadays

A: “I don’t believe it, and you should not believe it”
B: “have you heard it ?”

Then the conversation should have been stopped right here

The same goes for modifications

A: I don’t believe modifications can improve the sound
B: Have you done it ?

Then the same also for for

A: I don’t believe that you are better than a manufacturer engineer. So I don’t believe you can improve the devices
B: Do you know what a Resistor is ? A capacitors ?
A: Yes I googled it
B: There are engineered “parameters”, do you understand all the values and meaning of it and how it behave within a circuit ?
A: I dont actually know how to solder a cables
What a wisdom words!

Mar 27, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #6,893 of 15,280
I can`t believe you noticed that lol

ocd activated.

also, if you wanna take a shortcut, at least go with 2 diagonally...

Mar 27, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #6,894 of 15,280
What a wisdom words!
So sayeth the shepherd, so sayeth the flock. :)

3c4d8551-887d-4693-8c64-d18a0c52d31a_text_hi.gif

Mar 27, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #6,895 of 15,280
So sayeth the shepherd, so sayeth the flock. :)

3c4d8551-887d-4693-8c64-d18a0c52d31a_text_hi.gif
Anyway, life is too short to argue.
Busy with my music session now. Relax and take your time.

Attachments

• 20200327_191557.jpg
    20200327_191557.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Mar 27, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #6,896 of 15,280
@Redcarmoose If there is one thing that I agree with this forum. But there are some people you should just avoid :wink:

So I respectfully ask of you or anyone else to kindly disregard those baseless opinions, and stop responding.
Lol.

Listen, you're right. My opinion is baseless (unless you consider common sense as a base), so that's why I would like to ask you: what proof can you offer as base for your own claims?

Believe it or now, I'd love it if you were right and there was some additional massive SQ improvement I could get by just spending some more money. Unfortunately I am an engineer by profession and a skeptic by nature, so simply seeing a bunch of people swear by the fact that they hear an improvement is not enough. I just know too much about how susceptible hearing impressions are to all sorts of non-audio-equipment related factors.

Mar 27, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #6,897 of 15,280
Lol.

Listen, you're right. My opinion is baseless (unless you consider common sense as a base), so that's why I would like to ask you: what proof can you offer as base for your own claims?

Believe it or now, I'd love it if you were right and there was some additional massive SQ improvement I could get by just spending some more money. Unfortunately I am an engineer by profession and a skeptic by nature, so simply seeing a bunch of people swear by the fact that they hear an improvement is not enough. I just know too much about how susceptible hearing impressions are to all sorts of non-audio-equipment related factors.

I guess you are probably in the wrong hobby if you don’t believe in what you hear. Also I’m finding it hard to understand that you don’t believe that different grades and types of components can make a difference

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #6,898 of 15,280
Anyway, life is too short to argue.
Busy with my music session now. Relax and take your time.
It may be hard for you to believe, but it's people like you I'm "fighting" for. :)

I hope that everyone can can enjoy their music. If spending time on the forum improves that experience for you, then I hope that my negative comments did not detract too much from that. Like I said above, I know that for some people this tinkering will be very fulfilling and that's great!

Mar 27, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #6,899 of 15,280
also, if you wanna take a shortcut, at least go with 2 diagonally...

Alright alright people! I`ll screw in the last 2 screws when I get home :)

Mar 27, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #6,900 of 15,280
It may be hard for you to believe, but it's people like you I'm "fighting" for. :)

I hope that everyone can can enjoy their music. If spending time on the forum improves that experience for you, then I hope that my negative comments did not detract too much from that. Like I said above, I know that for some people this tinkering will be very fulfilling and that's great!
Trust me, I am living long enough to avoid being cheated by another. I only believe in what I see, hear and feel.

I am a professional banker and has been living with scams and lies over decades.

Again, be relax. This hobby is up to perception. If everything can be shown in graphs and specifications, the HiFi industry should simply be non-existent.

No need to fight for anyone, we are not playing Lord of the Ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back