SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 28, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #3,886 of 15,376
To me 1a and z1r truely match well. Just need a little more omph at times. Felt that z1r can do so much more and bottle neck by 1a.

Anyhow I am satisfied.... am still hoping the next gen sony player will be good as 1a have already aged.

I agree, and the volume can go pretty high while using the 1A. Sony has continued and made the IER-Z1R power hungry; only scaling up to it’s full potential with lots of power. The XBA-Z5 was the same way. Though I thought the IER-Z1R did do a lot of things right from an IPod; no one really buys the IER-Z1R and would be happy using it that way. I’m kinda focused on tone, so even with the 1A, it seems to get there? But I agree there is some waisted potential which will be unlocked with more damping factor. We always have to remember what types are here. Few are going to go to the trouble of getting the IER-Z1R, then be happy if it was adequately driven. These types want ” The Full Monty” edition sound.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #3,887 of 15,376
I agree, and the volume can go pretty high while using the 1A. Sony has continued and made the IER-Z1R power hungry; only scaling up to it’s full potential with lots of power. The XBA-Z5 was the same way. Though I thought the IER-Z1R did do a lot of things right from an IPod; no one really buys the IER-Z1R and would be happy using it that way. I’m kinda focused on tone, so even with the 1A, it seems to get there? But I agree there is some waisted potential which will be unlocked with more damping factor. We always have to remember what types are here. Few are going to go to the trouble of getting the IER-Z1R, then be happy if it was adequately driven. These types want ” The Full Monty” edition sound.

I'm dumb and not really understanding what you're trying to say here

***ADD***
Appears my choices are either moonaudio or accessoryjack if i want to get an Z1R without California TAX...which does everyone prefer if they've dealt with both.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #3,888 of 15,376
I would argue that the implementation of the chip plays a larger part than the chip in question.
Definitely! A C5 engine into a corolla vs a C7 engine in the same corolla would be different. It doesn’t mean that either engine is running at it finest anyways. Therefore, sp2000 have to be different than sp1000. But that doesn’t mean that a properly built, engineered AK4497EQ is inferior at all.

See a Camry engine into an Elise ? Vs a Camry ? Similar analogy applies

Jul 28, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #3,889 of 15,376
Given its size the Kann Cube is basically a desktop unit anyway-- it's really too big to carry around. That and 2.5 take it out of consideration for me. I'd love to hear it though. Do they even make a 2.5 cable for the z1r?
i just ordered one. 2.5mm for z1r... will post

use 4.4mm to 2.5mm dongle now for ier z1r and z1r

and no it is not to big to carry around. but yes it is reaching the limits.

Jul 28, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #3,892 of 15,376
People who have heard the Z1R and the ex1000...how do they compare?
One is a bright-ish DF variant, the other is V shaped recessing lower mids. Very different design philosophies.

Jul 28, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #3,893 of 15,376
I'm dumb and not really understanding what you're trying to say here

***ADD***
Appears my choices are either moonaudio or accessoryjack if i want to get an Z1R without California TAX...which does everyone prefer if they've dealt with both.

I’m saying basically what everyone says. That is that the 1A and IER-Z1R combination is nice but not the full potential the IEM is able to reach. I’m my opinion two of the major components of a amp/DAC would be both tone personally and damping factor. So in truth you could have a somewhat “OK” power lever, and like the tone. You could also join your IER-Z1R with lots of power but maybe the power source could be two dark?

In my use I use the TA amp, the 1Z and 1A. I probably like the tone combo of the 1A the most, though the TA has more desktop power. Also the 1Z displays a treble tilt and a bass boost, that while fun, is not maybe what I always reach for.

I’m saying that Sony has designed the IER-Z1R to be mildly effective from a phone but that few would maybe go to the effort of getting the IER-Z1R to use that way. Adding damping factor (more power) allows this IEM to scale in both imaging and cleans up any low end fog.

What I’m saying is the folks in this thread would be the style of Head-Fi reader which would be looking for an apex in sound, thus not stopping with the 1Z, 1A or TA. They would see how far the Z1R could go. Lucky we actually have an IEM here which does scale and continue to scale up and up. Who knows where it goes, the sky is the limit.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #3,894 of 15,376
I’m saying basically what everyone says. That is that the 1A and IER-Z1R combination is nice but not the full potential the IEM is able to reach. I’m my opinion two of the major components of a amp/DAC would be both tone personally and damping factor. So in truth you could have an somewhat “OK” power lever, and like the tone. You could also join your IER-Z1R with lots of power but maybe the power source could be two dark?

In my use I use the TA amp, the 1Z and 1A. I probably like the tone combo of the 1A the most, though the TA has more desktop power. Also the 1Z displays a treble tilt and a bass boost, that while fun, is not maybe what I always reach for.

I’m saying that Sony has designed the IER-Z1R to be mildly effective from a phone but that few would maybe go to the effort of getting the IER-Z1R to use that way. Adding damping factor (more power) allows this IEM to scale in both imaging and cleans up any low end fog.

What I’m saying is the folks in this thread would be the style of Head-Fi reader which would be looking for an apex in sound, thus not stopping with the 1Z, 1A or TA. They would see how far the Z1R could go. Lucky we actually have an IEM here which does scale and continue to scale up and up. Who knows where it goes, the sky is the limit.
Try it with a kann cube and you will have reached the summit.

Jul 29, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #3,895 of 15,376
Try it with a kann cube and you will have reached the summit.
Really you heard it with the DMP Z1 and “cube” and preferred “the cube”?

Jul 29, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #3,897 of 15,376
Yes... better soundstage and airy.

soumds like a good near field speaker listening experience.

I was all done buying, but now you trigger my curiosity. :) Only as I kind-of guess the Z1R could go that way well. Only the plug is the deal killer.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #3,899 of 15,376
I love it. One lone stranger rides into town with a big mouth and a pocket full of hyperbole and now everybody wants to buy the Khan CUBE. This place is something else. :-D

Jul 29, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #3,900 of 15,376
I don’t understand the Kann Cube - what’s its intended purpose anyways? The thing looks like a misshapen brick and feels/weighs like one too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back