SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 6, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #3,556 of 15,376
Thank you @candlejack & @gerelmx1986
I opened the ugly shipping box and saw this.

One side of the still sealed Sony box has no protection from impact. Big Ouch!
I guess the Europeans does not use plastic bubbles anymore.

This dent on the outer packaging is the only noticeable external damage.

Will have to go shopping with the honey. Hope to be back tonight to unwrap.
Thanks C & G

Paul
Just be careful how you open the black box (Sony logo should face up). It's not rocket science, but I had a little accident myself, so I thought I'd mention it.

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #3,558 of 15,376
hi, anyone know where i can get another stock 3.5mm cable? also, would be preferable if it is a domestic japanese product (came straight from japan, not for international markets). thanks very much.

Jul 7, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #3,560 of 15,376
Going from k10ua to a sony ier z1r what will I be missing and gaining.. Tnx
To me the Z1R is better at almost everything. Better bass, better soundstage, better definition, better imagine, better treble extension, etc. Maybe you'd lose some warmth and smoothness but that about it. I have never been a big fan of the K10 though, I had owned two of them myself but never really like them so someone that love them might have a different opinion. The Encore or Katana suit me much better.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #3,561 of 15,376
1562495747836822973242001764935.jpg
Time to listen to some cannon blasts with the IER-Z1R

Jul 7, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #3,562 of 15,376
To me the Z1R is better at almost everything. Better bass, better soundstage, better definition, better imagine, better treble extension, etc. Maybe you'd lose some warmth and smoothness but that about it. I have never been a big fan of the K10 though, I had owned two of them myself but never really like them so someone that love them might have a different opinion. The Encore or Katana suit me much better.

Thanks for that information.

But when u mentioned I will be losing smoothness. To me k10au has a very sharp and dry sound, borderlining harsh with a upper midrange peak and extended treble. Ive been told that the old k10u and the newer k10ua sounds alot different.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #3,563 of 15,376
Thanks for that information.

But when u mentioned I will be losing smoothness. To me k10au has a very sharp and dry sound, borderlining harsh with a upper midrange peak and extended treble. Ive been told that the old k10u and the newer k10ua sounds alot different.
That sound about right. I have the old black K10u and the new red K10ua, the red one has much sharper and dryer sound than the black one. The Z1R is not as smooth as the old K10u but more smooth than the K10ua. Z1R is not particulary laid back sounding but it's not harsh at all so don't worry.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #3,564 of 15,376
hi, anyone know where i can get another stock 3.5mm cable? also, would be preferable if it is a domestic japanese product (came straight from japan, not for international markets). thanks very much.
from Sony direct or if you intend to go to Japan, you can send an email to Sony Japan, they should have it with about a month notice. expect about 10000 yen with tax on top.

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #3,565 of 15,376
Yup, for me it's officially Tia fourte over z1r. Didn't even think it was possible. And despite all the people telling me fourte is trash.

Soundstage is too amazing on the fourte.

Jul 8, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #3,566 of 15,376
Yup, for me it's officially Tia fourte over z1r. Didn't even think it was possible. And despite all the people telling me fourte is trash.

Nice that you got a nice experience with it.

Jul 8, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #3,567 of 15,376
I recognize that I'm kind of an amateur audiophile.

I hear the incoherence sometimes on the fourte. However the wow factor is what I seek in audiophilia. Thats why I'm purchasing the b stock Andromedas right now. I bought and returned it a few years ago. But there was one song, specifically one 3 second passage of glorious drums that gave me a vision of a glorious place. With mountains and rivers and golden sunlight seemingly coming from the heavens.

Couldn't get it out of my head (and heart and almost soul).

Fourte and Andromeda have a wow factor that takes me to glorious places despite their unnatural technical flaws.

U12t and z1r, the often praised audiophile iems, make me think wow these are amazing iems. Almost faultless. But I want to be transported to glorious lands and other worlds. Not sit there and listen to music no matter how great sounding.

Jul 8, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #3,568 of 15,376

Good for you! End of the day in flagship realm is always choose the one suits your taste...

Jul 8, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #3,569 of 15,376
I recognize that I'm kind of an amateur audiophile.

I hear the incoherence sometimes on the fourte. However the wow factor is what I seek in audiophilia. Thats why I'm purchasing the b stock Andromedas right now. I bought and returned it a few years ago. But there was one song, specifically one 3 second passage of glorious drums that gave me a vision of a glorious place. With mountains and rivers and golden sunlight seemingly coming from the heavens.

Couldn't get it out of my head (and heart and almost soul).

Fourte and Andromeda have a wow factor that takes me to glorious places despite their unnatural technical flaws.

U12t and z1r, the often praised audiophile iems, make me think wow these are amazing iems. Almost faultless. But I want to be transported to glorious lands and other worlds. Not sit there and listen to music no matter how great sounding.
I think you're looking for another kind of drug. :)

Jul 8, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #3,570 of 15,376
[General poll]

What tips have you settled on with the ier-z1r (and maybe why)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back