SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 26, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #1,727 of 15,336
Mar 26, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #1,729 of 15,336
He looks about 12, blimey. It does make me laugh sometimes when you read posts from members who've got these multi-thousand dollar earphones and headphones and then they reveal they're still at school.

Hey, i feel personally attacked. Everybody starts from somewhere. I started out small and ended up with what I have. Audio is a journey, and it's a journey I started off earlier in my life compared to some of u guys. Endgame is what you're satisfied with. No point chasing the rainbow. Im younger then crinacle himself, I took up a part time job to fund my purchases. He probably did so as well. It would be nice to have a suger daddy but oh well.

Mar 26, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #1,730 of 15,336
It was the worst expensive headphones I ever owned for metal and metal is what I listen to about half the time so it wasn't worth keeping. I'm sure it sounds good with other types of music just not at metal.

I guarantee your going to love them. Guaranteed! Save yourself from the contemplation and tom-foolery here or anywhere for that matter.

They are amazing. As long as you get good fit and power them right, you have zero worries!

Mar 26, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #1,731 of 15,336
Mar 26, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #1,732 of 15,336
I guarantee your going to love them. Guaranteed! Save yourself from the contemplation and tom-foolery here or anywhere for that matter.

They are amazing. As long as you get good fit and power them right, you have zero worries!

The only dac/amp I currently own is the hugo TT2. It should easily power them and it might seem like overkill using IEMs with them, but because of my chronic neck pain, lightweight cans and IEMs take priority over possibly better sounding, but much heavier cans that will make my pain worse.

The 3 finalists for my 1st half of the year audio purchase are:
Sony IER-Z1R
JVC FW10k
Focal Stellia

The first two I doubt I can audition unless I buy a ticket to Japan right now (I will likely go this winter, but not now) and the Stellia I can listen to locally. When I get back home I'll audition the Stellia and if it blows me away I'll buy it and decide on which universal IEM to add in the winter when I can properly listen to both.

I have a love/hate relationship with Sony. I have been with them since the Star Lord cassette walkman days (yes I'm old) to the discman (before it got renamed to cd walkman) and a Japan sold only fontopia earbud that I wish I knew what happened to it because I loved those. These newer Sony items are much more expensive yet seem to have more flaws. The DAPs need tidal and spotify apps (and other streaming apps), the dac/amps are good but not great for the price (I owned a TAZ amp for a short while to power the full sized Z1R and it barely had enough juice for it in single ended and it sounded better with a hugo 2 because chord dac technology is so much better than sony's fpga tech), and it's TOTL cans and IEM are a seemingly a love it or leave it product. I'm really wondering as an all rounder how the Z1R IEM fares. If the mids are indeed weak and recessed on my dac/amp then I doubt that I'd keep them. But I always try to ask what source a person is using that makes that claim and it does appear that those who complain about thin mids are using mostly low powered sources. The Sony I grew up sounded great with anything I threw at it. Now it seems that the Sony house sound is much more pronounced throughout its product lineup and can be the greatest thing ever or overpriced junk depending on who you talk to.

From the first announcement of the Z1R with pics that I saw, I was immediately worried about fit. But the complaints on fit seem to be very low so I really hope that are comfortable while sitting at my desk for a few hours at a time if I were to buy them.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #1,733 of 15,336
Just out of curiosity, how do you plan to fulfill your guarantee?

Simple, he has had issues with past IEMs and headphones having a decrease in PRAT due to sloppy lower midrange. You could say he was discouraged after a number of purchases, due to his needs concerning the metal subgenre. Myself have completely re-emerged as a metal-head after getting the IER-Z1R. They do metal fantastic and to such an extent that I can recommend them wholeheartedly. He is going to get them and I look forward to the day he realizes what they are with metal.

Cheers. My guarantee is my word, knowing what I have found to be true.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #1,734 of 15,336
Simple, he has had issues with past IEMs and headphones having a decrease in PRAT due to sloppy lower midrange. You could say he was discouraged after a number of purchases, due to his needs concerning the metal subgenre. Myself have completely re-emerged as a metal-head after getting the IER-Z1R. They do metal fantastic and to such an extent that I can recommend them wholeheartedly. He going to get them and I look forward to the day he realizes what they are with metal.

Cheers. My guarantee is my word, knowing what I have found to be true.

Yeah sloppy bass and bass bloat is my biggest headphone pet peeve whether its an IEM or a full sized headphone like the HD650. I want to hear drums clearly and with solid impact slamming over and over without ever getting sloppy and I also want to hear crystal clear clarity of the bass guitar and electric guitars separated from each other, but yet playing in perfect harmony.

If any type of singer is recessed (female or male) then that would also be something that would be a somewhat big negative too.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #1,735 of 15,336
The only dac/amp I currently own is the hugo TT2. It should easily power them and it might seem like overkill using IEMs with them, but because of my chronic neck pain, lightweight cans and IEMs take priority over possibly better sounding, but much heavier cans that will make my pain worse.

The 3 finalists for my 1st half of the year audio purchase are:
Sony IER-Z1R
JVC FW10k
Focal Stellia

The first two I doubt I can audition unless I buy a ticket to Japan right now (I will likely go this winter, but not now) and the Stellia I can listen to locally. When I get back home I'll audition the Stellia and if it blows me away I'll buy it and decide on which universal IEM to add in the winter when I can properly listen to both.

I have a love/hate relationship with Sony. I have been with them since the Star Lord cassette walkman days (yes I'm old) to the discman (before it got renamed to cd walkman) and a Japan sold only fontopia earbud that I wish I knew what happened to it because I loved those. These newer Sony items are much more expensive yet seem to have more flaws. The DAPs need tidal and spotify apps (and other streaming apps), the dac/amps are good but not great for the price (I owned a TAZ amp for a short while to power the full sized Z1R and it barely had enough juice for it in single ended and it sounded better with a hugo 2 because chord dac technology is so much better than sony's fpga tech), and it's TOTL cans and IEM are a seemingly a love it or leave it product. I'm really wondering as an all rounder how the Z1R IEM fares. If the mids are indeed weak and recessed on my dac/amp then I doubt that I'd keep them. But I always try to ask what source a person is using that makes that claim and it does appear that those who complain about thin mids are using mostly low powered sources. The Sony I grew up sounded great with anything I threw at it. Now it seems that the Sony house sound is much more pronounced throughout its product lineup and can be the greatest thing ever or overpriced junk depending on who you talk to.

Perception is strange and if you follow Carl Jung psychological studies, he is basicly saying we interpret stuff both subjectively and objectively simultaneously. So due to that factor it’s actually impossible for me to predict your outcome results in sound signature. I will say they are way better rounded than the full size Z1R and a boatload more balanced than what the TA amp personality was/is for you.

I’m just believing they are great for metal, as that’s what I’ve been doing now for weeks is playing old metal and hearing it in a brand new way.

I will take the risk and tell you to hold off buying anything else until you get a chance to at least hear the IER-Z1R as the benefits are so potentially grand.

Will you get the fit? I simply don’t know. Will they seem too dark and too non-midcentric? I don’t know?

But !

If you get the fit and mentally blend with the soundsignature, you will not find better metal headphones. I could write a separate review at this point simply pointing out how and why they do metal so good.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #1,736 of 15,336
Yeah sloppy bass and bass bloat is my biggest headphone pet peeve whether its an IEM or a full sized headphone like the HD650. I want to hear drums clearly and with solid impact slamming over and over without ever getting sloppy and I also want to hear crystal clear clarity of the bass guitar and electric guitars separated from each other, but yet playing in perfect harmony.

If any type of singer is recessed (female or male) then that would also be something that would be a somewhat big negative too.

As always you have to work on the tip selection but at this point I would suggest the included Hybrid Silicones. But I have actually had different tip recommendations and none worked like the new Silicone tips. The old black Sony Hybrid Tips made a great fit but are a fraction darker. Also you may have heard you need a deep insert to get the super tweeter to function right. Your source will be fine though I have not heard the combo; I’m guessing.

The only reason I can make this recommendation is they are a hair different in that direction from the full size Z1R. And as you know, super small changes can make all the difference in the world. Unless of course your a dyed in the wool treble head? But as a whole they are incredibly well rounded; at least to my ears they are?

They are the Sony house sound but due to the timbre resolution and super fast bass response you get both deepness and clarity in the lows. IMO

They go low but the bass is fast and offers agility.

They are like the N3 only super fast and detailed bass; and way-way more treble detail and treble soundstage. They are closest in signature to the Z5 IEM. That’s what they are; a super sized Z5 sound. They could maybe be put in the same category as the Denon AHD-7000 but the bass is way faster. The tone is a mild V shape like the Denon flagships. Also they had an easier to get going lower midrange where the Denons needed a bunch of work with extra changes to clean up the lower midrange. They also offer a better treble than the Denons; more natural.

What headphones have you liked so far?

As far as the IER-Z1R midrange; it’s simply a matter of opinion if it’s all there are not. It’s an illusion where they took stuff away like the lower midrange and emphasize sub-bass. Also the subdued midrange ends up somehow opening up the naturally gorgeous treble. The treble is the best I’ve ever heard from an IEM. It just does so much in such a special easy going way. But the more you listen the more you get used to the midrange.

The midrange is less one dimensional than you experienced with the full size Z1R. So even though it's not a supermid-forward sound there is a ton of information in the mids. Though it's nothing like the Noble Khan, where you have a cornucopia of mid-frequencies going on. It's more dynamic sounding than the new Noble flagship. It's more authoritative than the Khan too. Still if you turn out to truly be a midrange head in the end somthing like the Khan is going to be more your thing I think?

Most all vocals sound correct to me. There can be a slight frequency of vocals where they may sit back slighly, but nothing like what you experienced with the full size Z1R.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #1,737 of 15,336
Glad to hear that the ier-z1r isn't a concern with metal (which I listen to a lot of). Have these on order (was impressed after a demo at IFA 2018). I'm interested by the comments of a slightly recessed mid-range. I didn't get that when I demoed them. We'll see with the production model.

My DD has been the SE846. I know many in the audiophile community aren't a fan of them, but I love Shure's mid-centric sound sig. Say what you will, but it rocks with metal, which has me going for them more than the mildly V-shaped IE800S. Despite the ier-z1r also being mildly V-shaped, I hope Sony's focus on stereo sound makes it energetic enough to replace my SE846.

My sources are the Mojo and iDSD Micro BL

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #1,738 of 15,336
Got my IER Z1R at Tokyo. A bit suprise mine’s serial is still under 1000. The V or U shape sound maybe caused by the stock cable. I switched to my nobunaga silver / copper hybrid cable does changed the sound more balanced and a bit more suited to my taste. This bad boy seems have some potential for mix and match with cable and source. :L3000:

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #1,739 of 15,336
I believe in cables but when dealing with this iem where you see videos of all the research and testing that was involved in making this expensive iem it seems then they the reseach team were wrong. At this level Sony should put out a iem with the best cable for it. Maybe they used a middle of the road cable not knowing which buyer eill desire more treble or more bass ? Why doesnt Sony offer cable choices, like one for detail , one for the club, one for outdoor etc.

Mar 26, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #1,740 of 15,336
They do have the kimber kable as official upgrade, so the stock one may still have some reservations, as you can see they are still a bit thin with an extra layer of silk shield. But many other IEM makers also reserved better cables as upgrade options to their flagship IEMs.
Anyway, for higher end audio there are always mix and match thingy to personal favour....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back