SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #1,681 of 15,280
Just received my Z1R. Very happy with it so far, need to do more burn-in.

wTy6szl.jpg

One thing I enjoy very much with Japanese brands is their ability to cover full range of spectrum with great products.

IPi7Vy5.jpg

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #1,682 of 15,280
One thing I enjoy very much with Japanese brands is their ability to cover full range of spectrum with great products.

IPi7Vy5.jpg
You needed to add there a Namiki Maki-e and Pilot Metropolitan. :)

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #1,685 of 15,280
Mar 23, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #1,686 of 15,280
Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #1,687 of 15,280
Does ot mention the music that was tested with ?
Weird, seems e-earphone had just removed all the reviews from their staffs and users :frowning2:
Maybe today is the official japan version release day, so they reset the thread?

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #1,688 of 15,280
Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #1,689 of 15,280
Well… it is time to have a head to head comparison (and some recommendation) between what I consider the King of single dynamic driver based on my collection (joint spot with the Beyerdynamic Xelento depending on the listening mood I am into :p…) the Sony MDR EX1000, and the new Sony flagship IEM the IER-Z1R.

For those who prefer a straight to the point approach, here is a summarized conclusion; the IER-Z1R are not what I expected nor imagined as successor of the EX1000, nonetheless, they are a worthy successor even if they share very little in common. This does not mean that the EX1000 are now obsolete, it just mean that Sony trial and error with Hybrid configuration through the XBA series in the last few years, has finally yielded an IEM that in my humble opinion feels at least as engaging as the EX1000 with overall better sound definition in a more laid back tonality.

For further analysis, please refer below:

Before I commence, never thought of doing the comparison this early… but since my family left me alone for a school break vacation, and due to ProF3T1 recent request; here I am in a Café having a meal and typing this out. Note: apologies for the less than optimal lighting on upcoming pictures.

Without further a due, let’s start off with finding out the impedance and sensitivity of the IEMs for source volume matching:
· Sony MDR EX1000: 32ohms and 108 dB / mW
· Sony IER-Z1R: 40 ohms and 103 dB / mW

Since the difference is not that significant (especially in an outdoor environment), I will use the same volume on the Sony WM-NW1Z (Volume:60-70) for the 4.4mm balanced output comparison and on the Onkyo DP-CMX1 (Volume:30) for 3.5mm unbalanced output comparison on Tidal music.

Disclaimer: Below are just subjective impressions, based on my personal listening preferences and experiences.

Sony WM-NW1Z + DSD and FLAC files (Album, Track / Artist)

20190316_213642.jpg

Note: Used the 4.4 balanced MUC-M12SB1 Sony cable and MMCX to EX1000 adapter for comparisons below.

1. 3D imaging and sound stage (Dark Side of the Moon-DSD, On The Run / Pink Floyd)

Imagine being blindfolded and watching a movie drama scene without any dialogue, this is what “On The Run” track is to me.

With the EX1000 the image is very vivid and gives you suspense throughout the track, this is due to more forward a brighter tonality coupled with wide and high stage dimensions. Feels like you are sitting in front of a good quality home TV with good speakers. On the other hand, the IER-Z1R makes you feel like you are sitting in a cinema in a darker room with increased stage depth. Hence, sound might not be as vivid but better defined.

Personally, I prefer the EX1000 rendering on this track, even though purely from X, Y & Z axis the IER-Z1R has the upper hand.

2. Pace, Rhythm and Timing “PRaT” (Dream Theater-FLAC, Enigma Machine / Dream Theater)

My interpretation of PRaT is what sounds desired to my ears in terms of Pace, Rhythm and Timing, will try to explain through “Enigma Machine” track. First, I would like to introduce you to Mike Mangini and is drum set for “Enigma Machine”:

maxresdefault.jpg
Impressed?!?

Well… back to PRaT; in this case, I try to imagine that I am the drummer (know nothing about playing drums), nonetheless want to deliver the track to the audience based on what I recognize as ideal Pace, Rhythm and Timing.

The EX1000 does great in conveying the energy transmitted by hitting all the instruments clearly with perceived slightly quicker notes decay. Nonetheless, I prefer the PRaT on the IER-Z1R because it sounds more natural and even though it might be perceived to be slightly slower in notes decay, it is outweighed by improved notes definition and perceived slightly better instruments positioning, and thus, Pace and Rhythm is personally more desired.

3. Sub-bass & Bass (XXYYXX-FLAC, Alone / XXYYXX)

Throughout the track, the bass and sub-bass are easily recognizable. The EX1000 bass and sub-bass are tighter and punchier (magic of DD bass which is difficult for BAs to match), and to my ears goes deeper than the IER-Z1R. Note that on the WM-NW1Z balanced connection the IER-Z1R bass and sub-bass become tighter on other source equipment, but not as punchy as the EX1000. Nonetheless, on this track the IER-Z1R has better transient from bass to sub-bass.

On bass and sub-bass, I give it a draw, as I love both presentations depending on the different genres of music I listen.

4. Mids – Vocals (21-FLAC, Someone Like You /Adele) & (Hybrid Theory-FLAC, In The End / Linkin Park)

Let’s start by saying that mids, especially vocals are not the forte on both Sony IEMs. How I wished them to have the Fitear ToGo334 mids. What I try to feel is the emotions emitted by the singers, such as Adele’s disheartened voice or Chester Bennington’s tireless singing (R.I.P.).

Having said the above mentioned, the IER-Z1R mids are more recessed compared to the EX1000 yet more than sufficient in conveying the lyrics clearly, while the EX1000 forward upper mids gives a more energetic presentation. However, neither of them really hit the marks in terms of intimacy.

If I really need to pick one of the two, I will chose the EX1000.

5. Treble (Dark Side of the Moon-DSD, Time / Pink Floyd) & (Hotel California-DSD, Hotel California / Eagles)

Here is the real fun; these two IEMs could not have been more different yet complementary (assertive vs. easy going). It is a real Love or Hate preference, yet it is my favourite feature on the IER-Z1R.

At the beginning of “Time” track when all the clocks ring one after another, in addition of getting your hearing sensors running wild, at the end there is a mechanical sound on the left channel which is difficult to clearly distinguish in, I dare to say, less technically sound IEM. While in the last one and half minute from “Hotel California” track, the cymbals and hit hats on the right channel might sound harsh depending on IEMs treble tuning.

Let’s say if you were sleeping and you had the EX1000 in your ears and the “Time” track was played, you will probably be jumping out of bed in an instant. While, with the IER-Z1R, you will probably roll around your pillow a little longer and wake up in a more relaxed mode :). As for “Hotel California”, the cymbals and hit hats in the IER-Z1R sound more natural and better defined than the EX1000, which sounds brighter and slightly splashy. Both are able to convey the tiniest of details.

The thing that impresses me most with the IER-Z1R treble is the way the treble is accentuated when the track needs it, and extended when you least expect it while perfectly married with the warmer tonality of the IEM. Imagine, you are standing at the beach shore, and since it is a very calm day without much wind, the waves hitting your lower legs are expectedly mild; suddenly, you see a bigger wave coming and you expect a stronger impact, but when this wave hits you, you unexpectedly step backward because you did not see it coming.

Onkyo DP-CMX1 + Tidal

20190316_214059.jpg

I am borrowing some writing previously done when comparing the Empire Ears Legend X, Spiral Ear SE5U and Spiral Ear SE6. One of my current reference track on Tidal for such analysis is Alan Walker’s “Faded” track in four versions, as follow:

1. Original:
2. Instrumental:
3. Restrung:
4. Piano: *sorry could not find the official Piano version on YouTube

1. Original version – This is the most demanding of the four versions. The electronic instruments are coming from all directions lows, mids, highs, left, right, front and back; while the female vocal is at the center. If the IEM does not possess a stage dimension allowing right balance of notes separation and resolution, the track will sound too congested. The ideal sound I am looking for on this track is an energetic sound, where my mind is immersed to the melodies while listening to the vocals.
2. Instrumental version – This version is the same as the Original version, but without the female vocals. If the IEM, does not have a more neutral frequency response, you can identify which particular area of the sound spectrum is emphasized. The ideal I am looking for on this track is the same as the Original version, but without vocals I am able to focus more on following the 3D imaging of the electronic notes.
3. Restrung version – This version is probably my favourite, as it is basically the acoustic version of the original (piano, violin, cello and etc.); while the female vocals takes center stage and becomes more intimate. Since the tempo is slower, intimate mids, resolution and detail retrieval is what I look from an IEM. The ideal sound I am looking for on this track is being immersed by the angelic voice of the singer, while the acoustic instruments perfectly blends and supports the lyrics.
4. Piano version – Well, very pleasing and laid back track nothing but the Piano from the Restrung version. The IEM, which conveys sounds to feelings with realistic tonality and notes decay, is the winner. The ideal sound I am looking for on this track is a smooth and romantic tune, which the piano notes, comes alive.

Comparison:
1. Original version ranking: EX1000 = IER-Z1R
Tried my best to find the winner, but on this track, I preferred the bass of the EX1000 which are punchier than the IER-Z1R, with sparkler treble and slightly less recessed mids compared to the IER-Z1R.

However, although the width and height of stage between the two IEMs are similar, the depth on the IER-Z1R imaging coupled with more musicality on the IER-Z1R made the vocals sound more distinct/separated, made me tip the “weight scale” back.

2. Instrumental version ranking: EX1000 > IER-Z!R
This one is an easier one for my preference. Because of the above mentioned tighter and punchier bass and sub-bass, in the EX1000 the track is presented in a diamond/rhombus shape leaving the center mid (vocals) empty. Unlike the IER-Z1R where the bass and sub-bass sounded more elevated, slightly bleeding it into the center mid.

To note though, the EX1000 more aggressive treble presentation compared to the more natural presentation of the IER-Z1R, might prompt people to prefer the latter IEM.

3. Restrung version ranking: IER-Z1R>EX1000
This is a matter of preference between brighter tonality versus more natural tonality. The IER-Z1R mids are slightly more recessed but it is compensated by increased depth in stage, on the other hand because the EX1000 have more clarity in the upper register resolution and detail retrieval are presented differently.

My slight preference goes to the IER-Z1R as acoustic instruments sounding more natural.

4. Piano version ranking: IER-Z1R>EX1000
This track was the easiest one to pick. On the EX1000 the upper mids made the Piano notes decay sounding less natural; on the other hand the IER-Z1R were more intimate and the notes sounded more realistic.

Other non-sound related comparisons:
- Sony MDR EX series cable connector locking system still the best in class (really wished they carried on the IER future series).
- EX1000 are more comfortable to wear for longer term listening (except for nap time), but the IER-Z1R provides much better isolation.

Conclusion:
Finally, after years of waiting for a worthy successor of the Sony EX1000 has come, in this context the meaning of successor is not an IEM that does everything the same way but better than the predecessor does. Rather, from sports/entertainment perspectives think about:
- Michael Jordan vs Lebron James (Basketball)
- Arnold Schwarzenegger vs Ronnie Coleman (Body Building)
- Friends vs The Big Bang Theory (TV series)

Different yet great in their own rights.

The IER-Z1R is NOT recommended to:
1. Those who prefer brighter tonality like the EX1000 (personal King of 1 DD IEM together with the Xelento)
2. Those who prefer a neutral tonality like to KSE1200/KSE1500 (personal King of neutral reference IEM)
3. Those who prefer a mid-centric signature like the Fitear ToGo334 (personal King of 4BA IEM)
4. Those who never invested for TOTL IEMs that cost more than USD1,500
5. Those who have smaller ears
6. Those who prefer less fancy/more subtle design when wearing IEMs in public

On the hand, strongly recommended to:

1. Those who do not mind a slightly U shaped signature, albeit hearing all details in a darker/more laid back tonality/signature, in an above than average stage dimensions (X,Y & Z axis)
2. Those who are collectors or Sony fans like myself… :p

Cheers
Simon T.

Attachments

• 20190316_213642.jpg
    20190316_213642.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #1,690 of 15,280
Well… it is time have a head to head comparison (and some recommendation) between what I consider the King of single dynamic driver based on my collection (joint spot with the Beyerdynamic Xelento depending on the listening mood I am into :p…) the new Sony MDR EX1000, and the new Sony flagship IEM the IER-Z1R.

For those who prefer a straight to the point approach, here is a summarized conclusion; the IER-Z1R are not what I expected nor imagined as successor of the EX1000, nonetheless, they are a worthy successor although they share very little in common. This does not mean that the EX1000 are now obsolete, it just mean that Sony trial and error with Hybrid configuration through the XBA series in the last few years, has finally yielded an IEM that in my humble opinion feels at least as engaging as the EX1000 with overall better sound definition in a more laid back tonality.

Before I commence, never thought of doing the comparison this early… but since my family left me alone for a school break vacation, and due to ProF3T1 recent request; here I am in a Café having a meal and typing this out. Note: apologies for the less than optimal lighting on upcoming pictures.

Without further a due, let’s start off with finding out the impedance and sensitivity of the IEMs for source volume matching:

Since the difference is not that significant (especially in an outdoor environment), I will use the same volume on the Sony WM-NW1Z (Volume:60-70) for the 4.4mm balanced output comparison and on the Onkyo DP-CMX1 (Volume:30) for 3.5mm unbalanced output comparison on Tidal music.

Disclaimer: Below are just subjective impressions, based on my personal listening preferences and experiences.

Note: Used the 4.4 balanced MUC-M12SB1 Sony cable and MMCX to EX1000 adapter for comparisons below.

1. 3D imaging and sound stage (Dark Side of the Moon-DSD, On The Run / Pink Floyd)

Imagine being blindfolded and watching a movie drama scene without any dialogue, this is what “On The Run” track is to me.

With the EX1000 the image is very vivid and gives you suspense throughout the track, this is due to more forward a brighter tonality coupled with wide and high stage dimensions. Feels like you are sitting in front of a good quality home TV with good speakers. On the other hand, the IER-Z1R makes you feel like you are sitting in a cinema in a darker room with increased stage depth. Hence, sound might not be as vivid but better defined.

Personally, I prefer the EX1000 rendering on this track, even though purely from X, Y & Z axis the IER-Z1R has the upper hand.

2. Pace, Rhythm and Timing “PRaT” (Dream Theater-FLAC, Enigma Machine / Dream Theater)

My interpretation of PRaT is what sounds desired to my ears in terms of Pace, Rhythm and Timing, will try to explain through “Enigma Machine” track. First, I would like to introduce you to Mike Mangini and is drum set for “Enigma Machine”:

Impressed?!?

Well… back to PRaT; in this case, I try to imagine that I am the drummer (know nothing about playing drums), nonetheless want to deliver the track to the audience based on what I recognize as ideal Pace, Rhythm and Timing.

The EX1000 does great in conveying the energy transmitted by hitting all the instruments clearly with perceived slightly quicker notes decay. Nonetheless, I prefer the PRaT on the IER-Z1R because it sounds more natural and even though it might be perceived to be slightly slower in notes decay, it is outweighed by improved notes definition and perceived slightly better instruments positioning, and thus, Pace and Rhythm is personally more desired.

Throughout the track, the bass and sub-bass is easily recognizable. The EX1000 bass and sub-bass is tighter and punchier (magic of DD bass which is difficult for BAs to match), and to my ears goes deeper than the IER-Z1R. Note that on the WM-NW1Z balanced connection the IER-Z1R bass and sub-bass becomes tighter, than but not as punchy as the EX1000. Nonetheless, on this track the IER-Z1R has better transient between bass to sub-bass.

On bass and sub-bass, I give it a draw, as I love both presentations depending on the different genres of music I listen.

4. Mids – Vocals (21-FLAC, Someone Like You /Adele) & (Hybrid Theory-FLAC, In The End / Linkin Park)

Let’s start by saying that mids, especially vocals are not the forte on both Sony IEMs. How I wished them to have the Fitear ToGo334 mids. What I try to feel is the emotions emitted by the singers, such as Adele’s disheartened voice or Chester Bennington’s tireless singing (R.I.P.).

Having said the above mentioned, the IER-Z1R mids are more recessed compared to the EX1000 yet more than sufficient in conveying the lyrics clearly, while the EX1000 forward upper mids gives a more energetic presentation. However, neither of them really hit the marks in terms of intimacy.

5. Treble (Dark Side of the Moon-DSD, Time / Pink Floyd) & (Hotel California-DSD, Hotel California / Eagles)

Here is the real fun; these two IEMs could not have been more different yet complementary (assertive vs. easy going). It is a real Love or Hate preference, yet it is my favourite feature of the IER-Z1R.

At the beginning of “Time” track when all the clocks ring one after another, in addition of getting your hearing sensors running wild, at the end there is a mechanical sound on the left channel which is difficult to clearly distinguish in, I dare to say less technically sound IEM. While in the last one and half minute from “Hotel California” track, the cymbals and hit hats on the right channel might sound harsh depending on IEMs treble tuning.

Let’s say if you were sleeping and you had the EX1000 in your ears and the “Time” track was played, you will probably be jumping out of bed in an instant. While, with the IER-Z1R, you will probably roll around your pillow a little longer and wake up in a more relaxed mode J. As for “Hotel California”, the cymbals and hit hats in the IER-Z1R sound more natural and better defined than the EX1000, which sounds brighter and slightly splashy. Both are able to convey the tiniest of details.

The thing that impresses me most with the IER-Z1R treble is the way the treble is accentuated when the track needs it, and extended when you least expect it while perfectly married with the warmer tonality of the IEM. Imagine, you are standing at the beach shore, and since it is a very calm day without much wind, the waves hitting your lower legs are expectedly mild; suddenly, you see a bigger wave coming and you expect a stronger impact, but when this wave hits you unexpectedly step backward because you did not see it coming.

Onkyo DP-CMX1 + Tidal

I am borrowing some writing previously done when comparing the Empire Ears Legend X, Spiral Ear SE5U and Spiral Ear SE6. One of my current reference track on Tidal for such analysis is Alan Walker’s “Faded” track in four versions, as follow:

1. Original:
2. Instrumental:
3. Restrung:

1. Original version – This is the most demanding of the four versions. The electronic instruments are coming from all directions lows, mids, highs, left, right, front and back; while the female vocal is at the center. If the IEM does not possess a stage dimension allowing right balance of notes separation and resolution, the track will sound too congested. The ideal sound I am looking for on this track is an energetic sound, where my mind is immersed to the melodies while listening to the vocals.
2. Instrumental version – This version is the same as the Original version, but without the female vocals. If the IEM, does not have a more neutral frequency response, you can identify which particular area of the sound spectrum is emphasized. The ideal I am looking for on this track is the same as the Original version, but without vocals I am able to focus more on following the 3D imaging of the electronic notes.
3. Restrung version – This version is probably my favourite, as it is basically the acoustic version of the original (piano, violin, cello and etc.); while the female vocals takes center stage and becomes more intimate. Since the tempo is slower, intimate mids, resolution and detail retrieval is what I look from an IEM. The ideal sound I am looking for on this track is being immersed by the angelic voice of the singer, while the acoustic instruments perfectly blends and supports the lyrics.
4. Piano version – Well, very pleasing and laidback track nothing but the Piano from the Restrung version. The IEM, which conveys sounds to feelings with realistic tonality and notes decay, is the winner. The ideal sound I am looking for on this track is a smooth and romantic tune, which the piano notes, comes alive.

Comparison:
Tried my best to find the winner, but on this track, I preferred the bass of the EX1000 which are punchier than the IER-Z1R, with sparkler treble and slightly less recessed mids compared to the IER-Z1R.

However, although the width and height of stage between the two IEMs are similar, the depth on the IER-Z1R imaging coupled with more musicality on the IER-Z1R made the vocals sound more distinct/separated, made me tip the “weight scale” back.

This one is an easier one for my preference. Because of the above mentioned tighter and punchier bass and sub-bass, in the EX1000 the track is presented in a diamond/rhombus shape leaving the center mid (vocals) empty. Unlike the IER-Z1R where the bass and sub-bass sounded more elevated, slightly bleeding it into the center mid.

To note though, the EX1000 more aggressive treble presentation compared to the more natural presentation of the IER-Z1R, might prompt people to prefer the latter IEM.

This is a matter of preference between brighter tonality versus more natural tonality. The IER-Z1R mids are slightly more recessed but it is compensated by increased depth in stage, on the other hand because the EX1000 have more clarity in the upper register resolution and detail retrieval are presented differently.

My slight preference goes to the IER-Z1R as acoustic instruments sounding more natural.

This track was the easiest one to pick. On the EX1000 the upper mids made the Piano notes decay sounding less natural; on the other hand the IER-Z1R were more intimate and the notes sounded more realistic.

- Sony MDR EX series cable connector locking system still the best in class (really wished they carried on the IER future series)
- EX1000 are more comfortable to wear for longer term listening (except for nap time), but the IER-Z1R provides much better isolation

Conclusion:
Finally, after years of waiting for a worthy successor of the Sony EX1000 has come, in this context the meaning of successor is not an IEM that does everything the same way but better than the predecessor does. Rather, from sports/entertainment perspectives think about:

1. Those who prefer brighter tonality like the EX1000 (personal King of 1 DD IEM together with the Xelento)
2. Those who prefer a neutral tonality like to KSE1200/KSE1500 (personal King of neutral reference IEM)
3. Those who prefer a mid-centric signature like the Fitear ToGo334 (personal King of 4BA IEM)

1. Those who do not mind a slightly U shaped signature, albeit hearing all details in a darker/more laid back tonality/signature, in an above than average stage dimensions (X,Y & Z axis)

Cheers
Simon T.

Magnificent work! Thank you very much!

Mar 23, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #1,691 of 15,280
Well… it is time have a head to head comparison (and some recommendation) between what I consider the King of single dynamic driver based on my collection (joint spot with the Beyerdynamic Xelento depending on the listening mood I am into :p…) the new Sony MDR EX1000, and the new Sony flagship IEM the IER-Z1R.

For those who prefer a straight to the point approach, here is a summarized conclusion; the IER-Z1R are not what I expected nor imagined as successor of the EX1000, nonetheless, they are a worthy successor although they share very little in common. This does not mean that the EX1000 are now obsolete, it just mean that Sony trial and error with Hybrid configuration through the XBA series in the last few years, has finally yielded an IEM that in my humble opinion feels at least as engaging as the EX1000 with overall better sound definition in a more laid back tonality.

Impressed?!?

Throughout the track, the bass and sub-bass is easily recognizable. The EX1000 bass and sub-bass is tighter and punchier (magic of DD bass which is difficult for BAs to match), and to my ears goes deeper than the IER-Z1R. Note that on the WM-NW1Z balanced connection the IER-Z1R bass and sub-bass becomes tighter, than but not as punchy as the EX1000. Nonetheless, on this track the IER-Z1R has better transient between bass to sub-bass.

Here is the real fun; these two IEMs could not have been more different yet complementary (assertive vs. easy going). It is a real Love or Hate preference, yet it is my favourite feature of the IER-Z1R.

At the beginning of “Time” track when all the clocks ring one after another, in addition of getting your hearing sensors running wild, at the end there is a mechanical sound on the left channel which is difficult to clearly distinguish in, I dare to say less technically sound IEM. While in the last one and half minute from “Hotel California” track, the cymbals and hit hats on the right channel might sound harsh depending on IEMs treble tuning.

Let’s say if you were sleeping and you had the EX1000 in your ears and the “Time” track was played, you will probably be jumping out of bed in an instant. While, with the IER-Z1R, you will probably roll around your pillow a little longer and wake up in a more relaxed mode J. As for “Hotel California”, the cymbals and hit hats in the IER-Z1R sound more natural and better defined than the EX1000, which sounds brighter and slightly splashy. Both are able to convey the tiniest of details.

The thing that impresses me most with the IER-Z1R treble is the way the treble is accentuated when the track needs it, and extended when you least expect it while perfectly married with the warmer tonality of the IEM. Imagine, you are standing at the beach shore, and since it is a very calm day without much wind, the waves hitting your lower legs are expectedly mild; suddenly, you see a bigger wave coming and you expect a stronger impact, but when this wave hits you unexpectedly step backward because you did not see it coming.

Onkyo DP-CMX1 + Tidal

1. Original:
2. Instrumental:
3. Restrung:

4. Piano version – Well, very pleasing and laidback track nothing but the Piano from the Restrung version. The IEM, which conveys sounds to feelings with realistic tonality and notes decay, is the winner. The ideal sound I am looking for on this track is a smooth and romantic tune, which the piano notes, comes alive.

Comparison:

- Sony MDR EX series cable connector locking system still the best in class (really wished they carried on the IER future series)
- EX1000 are more comfortable to wear for longer term listening (except for nap time), but the IER-Z1R provides much better isolation

Conclusion:

Cheers
Simon T.

Great work - i want also say thank you.
I believe also 8 year after market introduction of the EX1k in 2011 it is still the king of dynamics.
Only Xelento and AKt8ie MKII are on equal level.

I allready preordered the Z1R but maybe i will cancel it because i am a big fan of EX1k with small ears :)

Mar 24, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #1,693 of 15,280
Man, I missed that Didn't know you gonna do a livestream..
Is there any archived video of it?

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #1,694 of 15,280
Man, I missed that Didn't know you gonna do a livestream..
Is there any archived video of it?
There is archived video on the provided link. Kevin, the Sony guy, looked so nervous that I wondered if he was blowing his cover from his witness protection program....

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #1,695 of 15,280
IMG_0587.JPG

I got to listen to the IER-Z1R at The Source AV's Sony event yesterday. :ksc75smile:

Wow. For me, it's pretty rare when something actually lives up to the hype, but I have to say, the Z1R's really do. But it didn't start out that way.

I've never really been that into IEMs, but I recently discovered what a huge difference having the right size & type of tips can make. The right or wrong tips can make or break the SQ of any IEM, and you have to experiment for a while to know what works well with your own ears and what doesn't. So far, the best fitting and sounding ear tips (for me) that I've tried are the Final E-type tips, so I brought a few different sizes along with me to use instead of the Sony tips.

I started listening with the Sony foam-type Triple Comfort tips and I wasn't that impressed. The highs sounded pretty rolled off, which was typical of all of the different foam-type tips I've tried. So I went straight to my Final tips, and because the Z1R's are pretty large, I started with the L-sized tips. This was definitely better, but I could tell I wasn't getting that good of a seal and the Z1R's body felt like it was sticking out a little farther than it should, and they would become uncomfortable after a while if left like this. So I next tried the smaller M-sized Final tips, and that's when the magic happened!! The nozzle of the Z1R now went noticeably deeper into my ear canal and the body no longer felt like it was awkwardly protruding from my ear. Plus, another very nice feature of the Z1R (at least for me) is that even though it is a large hybrid IEM, its nozzles are no larger than any normal sized IEM, which was great because I've always had trouble getting the large-bore nozzles that most other high-end multi-driver IEMs use (Campfire, Noble, Jerry Harvey, etc) to comfortably fit in my ears. Everything felt perfectly balanced and they were quite comfortable. Even though they are somewhat heavy, once they were properly seated, I stopped noticing their weight after only a minute or two.

And now they sounded amazing!! They had this full-bodied but incredibly well balanced sound that made me just want to keep listening to all my favorite music through them. They could reproduce everything from the lowest sub-bass to the highest treble with almost no harshness or distortion and they had very impressive imaging and soundstage capabilities. I had a huge schiit-eating grin from ear to ear! The Z1R is one of the few IEMs that I've heard that could definitely take the place of a TOTL over-the-ear headphone. Are they worth $2000?! That's for you to decide. But one thing is for sure. The IER-Z1R is absolutely a reference-quality IEM and I consider myself fortunate to have been able to hear them (at their best) and experience how good this fantastic IEM can sound.

Unfortunately, the Sony rep said that as of now, they are back-ordered in the US, and the pair that I listened to was the only demo pair in all of North America! :scream:
Hopefully this will all be resolved soon and whoever wants a pair can get one, because after hearing them myself, I want 'em bad!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back