SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 11, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #1,518 of 15,278
Hi ProF3T1,

Very glad you are a fellow EX1000 user (they are still a classic)... that assessment is gonna take sometime, as I have been holding back the urge to listen to the Z1R through the WM1Z balanced connection. Nonetheless, as a fellow EX1000 user, the best set up I came up with the EX1000 (and recommend you to try) is as follow WM1Z>Kimber Kable (MUC-M12SB1)>MMCX to EX1000 connector adapter>EX1000:

:
The WM1Z lush sound through balanced output coupled with the Kimber Kable, does tame the "infamous" EX1000 aggressive treble nicely, without negatively affecting the transparency and imaging the EX1000 is known for,

Hi Sp12er3,

Me too, I find the older Sony IEMs design to be more comfortable than the Z1R, except for, when I wear them while my head rest on a pillow side way during sleep/nap time. But, compared to them with the Z1R I get much better isolation.

Cheers
Thanks a lot for the advice. I checked the cable and at least for now, I am good with the balanced/4.4 plug version of https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=75
Will keep the money in the z1r bank:) I am looking forward to Your impressions.

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #1,519 of 15,278
the long awaited has arrived. More on the way.

53739960_2205776849508616_7913012334145044480_n.jpg 54197796_576299662845601_8891713953588051968_n.jpg

Mar 11, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #1,522 of 15,278
For USA buyers, will 46 audio be the best place to buy because they have that 10% discount on their site or are there other Sony vendors that will beat that deal if you call them? Feel free to PM me places to buy from if anyone knows a USA seller that will offer a discount. I already know about accessory Jack prices but I'd prefer to buy from a USA vendor.

Mar 11, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #1,524 of 15,278
Been drooling over these for a while. Sadly they're well beyond my price range :frowning2:

Beyond my price range as well :sweat:... at least at the ~$2200 local price.

If Khan and Solaris don’t blow it out of the water (and if Jomo doesn’t have any big sales on the Trinity), my goal is to save up until June/December when my store runs sales on different brands each week. Hoping that between sales/store credit, I can grab it at the $1500~1600 range.

Mar 11, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #1,525 of 15,278
Beyond my price range as well :sweat:... at least at the ~$2200 local price.

If Khan and Solaris don’t blow it out of the water (and if Jomo doesn’t have any big sales on the Trinity), my goal is to save up until June/December when my store runs sales on different brands each week. Hoping that between sales/store credit, I can grab it at the $1500~1600 range.

They're priced at $3000 Canadian. I've had a love/hate relationship with Sony dating back to my first yellow Sony sport walkman in the late 80s-- I love their gear but I've always found it a little over priced. I've become something of a Campfire fanboy as of late and given that the Solaris is $1000 cheaper it's something of a no-brainer for me as my next step, even if the Sony's sound better (which I have no idea as I've heard neither at this point).

Mar 11, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #1,526 of 15,278
They're priced at $3000 Canadian. I've had a love/hate relationship with Sony dating back to my first yellow Sony sport walkman in the late 80s-- I love their gear but I've always found it a little over priced. I've become something of a Campfire fanboy as of late and given that the Solaris is $1000 cheaper it's something of a no-brainer for me as my next step, even if the Sony's sound better (which I have no idea as I've heard neither at this point).

Similar Z1R prices then. Blah.

I really like Campfire IEMs, but there are a couple issues stopping me from getting the Solaris at this point in time.
1. No local distributor - so I’m not able to audition it (and I’m not dropping that much on something I can’t try beforehand)
2. Price - between shipping/import duties, Solaris would be in that $1800~1900 range. I’d imagine a local distributor’s prices, if/when it happens, would be even higher, presumably around that $2000~2200 range.
3. Possible variance issue - I don’t know how serious this issue is. However, unlike when I was living in the US, I can’t simply return the Solaris if I don’t like it (unless I go through Campfire directly, in which case I pay $400 for shipping both ways + import duties). Assuming #1 gets solved, and unless the demo Solaris completely outclasses the Z1R, I wouldn’t get it until there’s a satisfactory solution to this.

I’d imagine your situation is different being in Canada vs. Korea.

Mar 11, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #1,527 of 15,278
I’d imagine your situation is different being in Canada vs. Korea.

Yup :) I happen to live within a couple hours of the only CA retailer in Canada so demoing is easy. The unit variance thing is an eyebrow raiser but it doesn't seem (to me) sufficiently widespread or pernicious to keep me from taking the plunge should I love them upon demoing in store. I'm not even going to demo the Sony's as Lord knows what I might do and I don't think I could live with myself if I dropped another $3000 on top of the Atlas (which I plan on keeping).

Mar 11, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #1,528 of 15,278
I have not tried the Z1R, but I do hope they meet the very high expectations that I got from reading Crinacle's reviews.

So far, in terms of the new TOTL hybrids, the Solaris doesn't give me the wow factor when I listen to them (coming from Andro user). The Jomo Trinity brass, on the other hand are imo a clear upgrade from the Andros in every way, from the bass to the mids. The jump from Andro to Trinity felt like the jump from my 300dollors iems to andro. I hope the Z1R can give me the same feeling I get when I listen to the Trinity

Mar 12, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #1,529 of 15,278
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MUC-M12SB1-SONY-Headphone-cable/dp/B01M3TK66F

Spent the afternoon with the Sony/Kimber upgrade cable which lists for $238.

I have to say it did add a slight smoothness to the top. Still the diffference could be in relation to the stock silver coated OFC included cable which the aftermarket Kimber is simply OFC; no silver.

In the end I actually noted the included cables where better balanced. There was a slight tone which I just couldn’t live with with the IER-Z1R Kimber combo. So in my use it looks like the stock cable will stay on.

Though if the whole sound signature was better balanced it seems there may be improvements found with aftermarket cables. Obviously this will be a subjective subject with people tailoring sound preferences.

But in my small quick test the provided cables win. Be careful though, the Kimber aftermarket cables didn’t want to be removed!

So cable-rolling could be a slighly precarious situation at times.

This was always a test I had planned for, but wanted to wait until the dust settled on the IER-Z1R. I purchased the cable for this single test, though it will find a home on other IEMs. The Kimber is definitely an improvement on other IEMs, just not as good for the IER-Z1R as the included cables. IMO

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #1,530 of 15,278
The jump from Andro to Trinity felt like the jump from my 300dollors iems to andro.

Given the Trinity cost roughly 3x the Andro I would hope so. It's hard to fathom that sort of cost...the thing could give me a happy ending every time I wore it and it probably still wouldn't be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back