SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 14, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #14,629 of 15,290
The Sony cable has been on for a long time. I removed it a few days ago to carry it in a different travel pocket.
That's so unfortunate, sorry to hear that.
Lot of cases with aftermarket cables, or too often take off the sony cable but your case is rarity.

Guys, is there any really "proper" way to pullout the mmcx connector? I have that mmcx tool like from Final, but for recessed connector on Z1R, it can't be used.
All this time i just gently "pinch and pull" instead of pulling out with force but yeah we need extra careful with these connector.

Oct 14, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #14,630 of 15,290
That's so unfortunate, sorry to hear that.
Lot of cases with aftermarket cables, or too often take off the sony cable but your case is rarity.

Guys, is there any really "proper" way to pullout the mmcx connector? I have that mmcx tool like from Final, but for recessed connector on Z1R, it can't be used.
All this time i just gently "pinch and pull" instead of pulling out with force but yeah we need extra careful with these connector.
Not really, mmcx wasn't really invented to be swapable that many times, no idea why IEM companies used it or improve on it, it's real fragile and was made for wifi antennas. Elysian Annihilator uses some new connector, looks more robust than mmcx, shame Sony didn't come up with something. This connector is the only downside I see of this beautiful IEM and always in the back of my mind think moving the cable around after years will make it spin too easy and lose connection. I try and never change the cable.

Oct 14, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #14,631 of 15,290
Not really, mmcx wasn't really invented to be swapable that many times, no idea why IEM companies used it or improve on it, it's real fragile and was made for wifi antennas. Elysian Annihilator uses some new connector, looks more robust than mmcx, shame Sony didn't come up with something. This connector is the only downside I see of this beautiful IEM and always in the back of my mind think moving the cable around after years will make it spin too easy and lose connection. I try and never change the cable.
I’ve changed cable twice. Fitted the stock 4.4 when I got them and about 2 1/2 years ago switched to to Dunu Blanche which I have no intention of ever removing

Oct 14, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #14,633 of 15,290
I’ve changed cable twice. Fitted the stock 4.4 when I got them and about 2 1/2 years ago switched to to Dunu Blanche which I have no intention of ever removing
I use the Dunu Blanche as well. Not sure I notice much of a difference in the sound but I do like the look and ergonomics better. If you ever want to take it off, it isn’t easy.

Oct 15, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #14,634 of 15,290
Oct 15, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #14,635 of 15,290
I did . No luck.
How many years you had with your Z1R?

Does the cable fit normal tight or feels somehow loose not so secure? There was some body whose Z1R upon detaching the cable, it left a piece of yhe male MMCX stuck in the socket

Oct 15, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #14,636 of 15,290
How many years you had with your Z1R?

Does the cable fit normal tight or feels somehow loose not so secure? There was some body whose Z1R upon detaching the cable, it left a piece of yhe male MMCX stuck in the socket
Out of warranty. There is a slight movement when they are in place. It has never been difficult to remove the cables from the IEMs. Everything looks OK to me.

Attachments

• sony 1.jpg
    sony 1.jpg
    825.8 KB · Views: 0
  • sony 2.jpg
    sony 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 15, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #14,637 of 15,290
I would like to be wrong but according to the photos it looks like as if tips of both male plugs got stuck in the female sockets.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #14,640 of 15,290
Out of warranty. There is a slight movement when they are in place. It has never been difficult to remove the cables from the IEMs. Everything looks OK to me.
Well, every cloud has a silver lining. The one of yours in this case could be like this:
Find a thin and long tweezer and try to remove the tips stuck in the sockets carefully. If you look for it in this thread, I am pretty sure you must find at least two instances before and how the guys had solved it.
Then buy a spare SONY cable.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back