SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 11, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #14,596 of 15,364
What is about the Pentaconns that’s so good, compared with the hybrid stock tips?

Best imaging you'll ever get from eartips.
So basically its the Z1R with sharper and holographic imaging and slightly more detailed.

In fact maybe they work the other way around, the pentaconn coreir maybe is one of the few (if not the only one) that transmit the imaging capability with exact precision due of the brass material. So the material doesn't absorb or reduce the sound and perceived technicalities. While other eartips are actually reducing the quality or absorbing little bit of details or blurring the imaging slightly.

So we are hearing reduced sound quality because of the eartips acts as damper because of the materials, and pentaconn coreir is the one that deliver true sound quality that coming from an IEM.

Oct 11, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #14,597 of 15,364
we are hearing reduced sound quality because of the eartips acts as damper because of the materials
The Z1R does need dampening though…

Oct 11, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #14,598 of 15,364
Best imaging you'll ever get from eartips.
So basically its the Z1R with sharper and holographic imaging and slightly more detailed.

In fact maybe they work the other way around, the pentaconn coreir maybe is one of the few (if not the only one) that transmit the imaging capability with exact precision due of the brass material. So the material doesn't absorb or reduce the sound and perceived technicalities. While other eartips are actually reducing the quality or absorbing little bit of details or blurring the imaging slightly.

So we are hearing reduced sound quality because of the eartips acts as damper because of the materials, and pentaconn coreir is the one that deliver true sound quality that coming from an IEM.
Paint me skeptical, but somehow it sounds more like made to believe marketing spiel. How much sound hard silicone can really absorb comparing to metal, that can actually add some unwanted resonance.

Oct 11, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #14,601 of 15,364
The Z1R does need dampening though…
its not dampening Z1R, its the other way around

Paint me skeptical, but somehow it sounds more like made to believe marketing spiel. How much sound hard silicone can really absorb comparing to metal, that can actually add some unwanted resonance.
I thought so at first, and I didnt write this because of reading some advertisement, it's a reverse back so I heard the improvement on imaging while using the Pentaconn Coreir so I was observing and think that the brass material is really working good as resonance chamber, that's all. Those lead me to read something about brass and brass is one of the great material for sound resonance thats why a lot of instruments made of brass. Well if im thinking a trumpet or saxophone covered by hard silicone all around, will it still sound the same with their nature of brass?
I was skeptical too at first since their name is still Nippon Dick instead of Pentaconn Coreir :sweat_smile:

Fair point.
Well you have to listen it by yourself

Just sharing my great experience with Pentaconn Coreir, I bought twice (because of fit problem with size) with my own money and of course I dont have any relation with Pentaconn

Oct 12, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #14,602 of 15,364
But brass instruments make sound by resonating, if tip is resonating, does it make sound, is it supposed to?
My speculative guess is that whatever improvement (if any) is from hard core preventing tip opening from squishing which can affect sound by adding back reflections. Plus silicone surrounding brass core all around dampening all resonation anyway, so if it was just hard plastic, effect could be the same.

Oct 12, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #14,603 of 15,364
Just sharing my great experience with Pentaconn Coreir, I bought twice (because of fit problem with size)
What size do you usually use. What size here?

Oct 12, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #14,604 of 15,364
But brass instruments make sound by resonating, if tip is resonating, does it make sound, is it supposed to?
My speculative guess is that whatever improvement (if any) is from hard core preventing tip opening from squishing which can affect sound by adding back reflections. Plus silicone surrounding brass core all around dampening all resonation anyway, so if it was just hard plastic, effect could be the same.

Yeah but in the ends, the brass make differences, especially to imaging, its really sharper than any other eartips. Just try them yourself.

What size do you usually use. What size here?

Try to get half or 1 size bigger for pentaconn Coreir. I bought M at first because the M have 13mm on the widest part of the umbrella. But the widest part of Pentaconn coreir is on the edge of the umbrella, while the part that seal / fit our inner ear is on the middle, so effective diameter that have direct contact with my ear is on the middle, that maybe only 11-12mm. Then I bought L size, stated as 14mm but again, its on the widest area which is the end of the umbrella, and on the part that touch my ear is in the middle which is around 12-13mm part and fit me better

FYI I use this size :
Azla sedna regular / light / xelastec / crystal / max etc = ML size
Spinfit W1 = L size
Spinfit CP100+ = L size or M size for deep insertion
Spinfit CP360 = L size
Moondrop Spring = L size or M size for deeper insertion
Feaulle Latex H570 = L size
Spiral dot regular / ++ = ML size
Default Z1R / Sony EP EX11 = L size
Sony EP NI1000 = L size
Radius Deepmount = L size
Final E = L size

Oct 13, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #14,605 of 15,364
Hi everyone! Seeking help - one of the kids accidentally pulled and broke off one of the MMCX connectors and Sony UK is telling me they don't have the parts anymore... what other avenues for repair do I have? Anyone aware of UK based techs who can help with this?

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #14,606 of 15,364
Hi everyone! Seeking help - one of the kids accidentally pulled and broke off one of the MMCX connectors and Sony UK is telling me they don't have the parts anymore... what other avenues for repair do I have? Anyone aware of UK based techs who can help with this?
Broke the male plug on the cable or the female socket in the actual bud ?

It has several times been reported that Sony consider these to be irrepairable so they replace them if they are within warranty.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #14,607 of 15,364

The same story as @Rob49 when his DMP-Z1 stopped charging and sony UK told him first that they didn't have the parts anymore and he had to chase them for months and complain all the way up to sony japan

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #14,608 of 15,364
Broke the male plug on the cable or the female socket in the actual bud ?

It has several times been reported that Sony consider these to be irrepairable so they replace them if they are within warranty.
Female socket... unfortunately, out of warranty!

Oct 13, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #14,609 of 15,364
Pentaconn Coreir Brass L vs. Final Audio E LL.

So the hight is the same but the E is 13.5 mm at the widest while the Brass is 14 mm. Also the shape is different. The channel has a larger diameter on the Brass

by the way... did a little shopping tour :)
01.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back