SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 8, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #936 of 15,361
Maybe people describe this graininess in mids, perhaps the DDs must be burned in

The thinness I described isn’t cause by a so-called BA timbre. It shouldn’t be the DD lacking burn-in either, since the unit I auditioned was nearly a month old (and very obviously worn) by the time I tried it. Sony simply recessed the lower-mids more than I’d like. Some will still very much enjoy it, but it isn’t my cup-of-tea necessarily.

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #938 of 15,361
The thinness I described isn’t cause by a so-called BA timbre. It shouldn’t be the DD lacking burn-in either, since the unit I auditioned was nearly a month old (and very obviously worn) by the time I tried it. Sony simply recessed the lower-mids more than I’d like. Some will still very much enjoy it, but it isn’t my cup-of-tea necessarily.

I agree with you. It was not BA timbre, I feel like it was tuned that way to make up for the slightly veiled sound in the mids.

Male vocals and the bass sounds amazing though. I think the bass is spot on.

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #939 of 15,361
Post removed.

Attachments

• B9FB6D8C-E278-4EF2-ACFD-023D429F5850.jpeg
    B9FB6D8C-E278-4EF2-ACFD-023D429F5850.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #941 of 15,361
Literally just tried Z1R in Sony Store Beijing using the DMP. Thought the M9 overall sounded better. But Z1R had an amazing sense of space I have not heard before. Z1R also had this plasticness to female vocals I didn't like.

just curious how do u mean by "overall better"

might u be referring to better in terms of all aspects hence the term "overall"?

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #942 of 15,361
Got a chance to try it today using my WM1A from balanced out, went to Singapore Sony flagship store, overall complain is the same. Bass is damn awesome yet it doesn't mess up the highs, I feel percussion just sounds right not too bright just enough shrills but I have complains on the mids being thinner than I would like. Other than that, the soundstage is something that I never felt in another IEM, it's big but it doesn't make it less engaging.

I'm ready to pull the trigger but I would give it more time until Canjam Singapore. This will compliment my PP8 and I might as well stop buying IEM for a much longer period of time than usual.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #943 of 15,361
Do the demo z1r's have the Standard 4.4mm balanced cable or the 4.4mm kimber balanced cable?
Is it likely that the kimber cable will improve the mids?

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #944 of 15,361
Got a chance to try it today using my WM1A from balanced out, went to Singapore Sony flagship store, overall complain is the same. Bass is damn awesome yet it doesn't mess up the highs, I feel percussion just sounds right not too bright just enough shrills but I have complains on the mids being thinner than I would like. Other than that, the soundstage is something that I never felt in another IEM, it's big but it doesn't make it less engaging.

I'm ready to pull the trigger but I would give it more time until Canjam Singapore. This will compliment my PP8 and I might as well stop buying IEM for a much longer period of time than usual.
I've been planning on buying thie z1R all along, and now will not based on others' initial impressions. I also have the PP8, and the very reason I was interested in the z1R was for the DD bass and a fuller lower midrange.
While I like the PP8, there is something unnatural in the lower midrange. Piano and Tenor Sax lack weight and have an artificial timber. The PP8 has a large enough soundstage, though, and I have a Final D8000 to give me the "home speaker" like experience. And I have Focal Utopia home speakers... I don't need an iem that was someone's pet project to make a large soundstage while sacrificing timber of vocals and acoustic instruments.

I'm bummed. Maybe I just need a Tia Forte. Or perhaps the M9 is the ticket.

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #945 of 15,361
just curious how do u mean by "overall better"

might u be referring to better in terms of all aspects hence the term "overall"?

I think I preferred the M9 more during my listening session - it had slightly better transparency and instrument separation, and a really really nice sense of "air". The Z1R, although had similar quantities of bass as M9, slew the M9 in terms of bass quality, slam, and texture. However, there seems to be a notch in the treble somewhere where it makes vocals sound slightly veiled. Despite the amazing soundstage and imaging, I liked M9's sense of "air" more.

Overall I'd prefer the M9 as it had more qualities I preferred, but I'd definitely be satisfied with the Z1R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back