SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 23, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #9,076 of 15,271
I did, it was alright overall but the wider gap still make it stuck in my left ears. I used an otoscope to see, I have a sharp bend there so I'm suspecting that that's what pulling on it. Either that or I inserted them too deep.

This doesn't happen with the stock tips though.

Try the hairspray trick I outlined in https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-ier-z1r.886120/post-15914809 My Xelestecs would be left in my ears EVERY time I used them before I did this. Now I've been using them for 2 weeks without a single detachment.

Oct 23, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #9,077 of 15,271
Try the hairspray trick I outlined in https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-ier-z1r.886120/post-15914809 My Xelestecs would be left in my ears EVERY time I used them before I did this. Now I've been using them for 2 weeks without a single detachment.
Thank you for your suggestion. There are two reasons why I might not go for that though:

1) I'm very reluctant to put hairspray on the IER-Z1R
2) I prefer the stock silicone hybrid sound more than Xelastec or Symbio. Just personal preference :)

Oct 23, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #9,078 of 15,271
Thank you for your suggestion. There are two reasons why I might not go for that though:

1) I'm very reluctant to put hairspray on the IER-Z1R
2) I prefer the stock silicone hybrid sound more than Xelastec or Symbio. Just personal preference :)
lol, as you wish :slight_smile: It's not like you have to spray hairspray all over them and get it everywhere, it's a light coating carefully applied which will easily wipe off when not required.

Oct 23, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #9,079 of 15,271
Greetings, Z1R lovers! I've been enjoying these IEM for a few days now and I'm still in the tip rolling phase. For now, the size L of the stock hybrids and the Final E are the ones that have given me the best results. The Final E are a bit more uncomfortable, so I thought about trying to stock up on replacements for the size L of the Sony hybrids included. I have seen in some previous posts that there is an australian supplier but they won't let me add to the basket, it seems that they don't have them in stock. I've also seen a member recommending buying a couple of cheap Sony headphone models that include those tips.

Thank you!

Oct 23, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #9,080 of 15,271
Is there anyone that has done extensive cable testing with the Z1R found a better pairing than the included 4.4mm? I am looking for a replacement with a 2.5mm connection and currently looking at the PW audio Xerxes. I have tried the PW audio Loki 8 wire and while it is more detailed it doesn't seem to have much of a synergy with the 2.5mm and takes too much away from the bass and 360 stage perception.

Oct 23, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #9,081 of 15,271
Is there anyone that has done extensive cable testing with the Z1R found a better pairing than the included 4.4mm? I am looking for a replacement with a 2.5mm connection and currently looking at the PW audio Xerxes. I have tried the PW audio Loki 8 wire and while it is more detailed it doesn't seem to have much of a synergy with the 2.5mm and takes too much away from the bass and 360 stage perception.

I didn't compare many cables extensively. But I compare stock vs Brise cable extensively.

Great Great synergy between Z1r and Brise.

Oct 23, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #9,082 of 15,271

IIRC @hshock76 used a PW cable with his Z1R when he had it, and said it was an excellent pairing. Can't remember which exact model it was but it was definitely a PW cable.

Oct 25, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #9,083 of 15,271
IIRC @hshock76 used a PW cable with his Z1R when he had it, and said it was an excellent pairing. Can't remember which exact model it was but it was definitely a PW cable.

I paired the Z1R with PW1960s 4-wire previously and found the synergy to be very good. Noticeably wider sound stage in all axis and improvement in all other aspects of performance.

Oct 25, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #9,084 of 15,271
I paired the Z1R with PW1960s 4-wire previously and found the synergy to be very good. Noticeably wider sound stage in all axis and improvement in all other aspects of performance.

It cost more than Z1R :triportsad:

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #9,086 of 15,271
Ridiculous money for a cable IMO. I would just about go as far as a PW Xerxes but that’s it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #9,088 of 15,271
@Tristy

The Z1R stock cable synergy is pretty hard to beat I reckon. I’d just get a 2.5mm adaptor or worst case get the stock cable reterminated :)

I agree. Stock cable is already very good. However, I’m using Norne’s thick 8-wire fusion cable (cu+ag) to give it a bit of bump in the lower midrange, but not everyone will be comfortable using a very thick wire. Perhaps @Tristy can get the DD hifi adapter (female 4.4mm to male 2.5mm) with the stock cable.

Oct 25, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #9,090 of 15,271
I agree. Stock cable is already very good. However, I’m using Norne’s thick 8-wire fusion cable (cu+ag) to give it a bit of bump in the lower midrange, but not everyone will be comfortable using a very thick wire. Perhaps @Tristy can get the DD hifi adapter (female 4.4mm to male 2.5mm) with the stock cable.

I already use this connector (PW Audio variant) and it is very good and gives me all of the benefits of the balanced connection. I am just mostly worried about the 'wear and tear' aspects of using both the 3.5mm and 2.5mm connections of my new AK SE200. I would rather one connection get worn rather than two. Saying that, the adaptor makes the connections more stable if anything, not allowing for lateral movements to affect one plug.... its just the wear that comes with insertion. Oh well, I will just carry on using the 4.4mm stock cable. I appreciate everyones input though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back