SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 11, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #8,971 of 15,250
I did hear in a review that the mojo may be slightly too warm sounding pairing for the Z1R so looking forward to testing them out with the kann alpha .... luckily a shop here in barcelona stocks them ... the Campfire audio stuff too

I got the SOny M4 NC hps recently... would you imagine (or know) that running them via bluetooth from Kann would sound better than my iphone?
The main factor that would contribute to a difference would be iPhones only support AAC codec via bluetooth but Kann alpha supports LDAC. This would allow higher 'bandwidth' in streaming and in theory results in a 'higher-res' sound. But a lot of people also said there is no significant difference switching from AAC to LDAC (i.e. both are bad :beyersmile:).

Oct 11, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #8,972 of 15,250
The main factor that would contribute to a difference would be iPhones only support AAC codec via bluetooth but Kann alpha supports LDAC. This would allow higher 'bandwidth' in streaming and in theory results in a 'higher-res' sound. But a lot of people also said there is no significant difference switching from AAC to LDAC (i.e. both are bad :beyersmile:).
Whenever it is possible I try to use wired connection. Wireless not often but when I do is for a short period of time

Oct 12, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #8,974 of 15,250
Playing with tips roll for a few hours today, i found that the tips comes with Z1R sounds pretty bad.

Here is what i found out :

1. The Hybrid Silicone, the bass punch is crazy, bolded and muddle mid-bass, there is a dip in the low-mid, there is also some unnatural resonance that i can't point out where it is happening (maybe at the high?). Overall it's sounds over compressed to me.

2. The Triple-Comfort, the bass punch is a little bit lighter than hybrid silicone. The unnatural resonance is completely gone, everything is a bit softer to listen, but the mid-bass is still bolded and muddle. It sounds a bit better overall than the hybrid silicone.

3. The AZLA XELASTEC, seals great, the bass punch is in the same ball park as the hybrid silicone, no unnatural resonance, no mid-bass bold, but the natural decay of the bass is dead and gone, the mid-high is up a bit make the vocal more up front and clear. Overall it's sounds unnaturally clean but the tone is changed.

4. The Acoustune AET07, no unnatural resonance, the bass punch is the lightest in this group, no bolded and muddle mid-bass, the depth of the sound stage spacing is gone from 3 axis to 2 axis, i can't feel the depth anymore. The details separation is on par with XELASTEC, the mid-high is boosted, vocal sounds up front and focus on clarity, It is more or less feel the same as XELASTEC. Overall tonality is spot on compare to my 2 channel studio monitor speakers with room correction. Technically AET07 is the most correct sounding in this group of ear tips.

5. The Final E-Type, no unnatural resonance, no bolded and muddle mid-bass, no low-mid dip, no mid-high boost, the bass punch is a little bit lighter than hybrid silicone, the natural decay is still there, the texture and details is much more easier to listen and distinct. Tonality is not as correct as AET07, but it has more bass than AET07 to keep it fun to listen.

I don't have JVC Spiral Dot to try, It's too damn expensive.

*Edit, after a few more hours of listening, my impression of Z1R + Acoustune AET07 has changed.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #8,975 of 15,250
Playing with tips roll for a few hours today, i found that the tips comes with Z1R sounds pretty bad.

1. The Hybrid Silicone, the bass punch is crazy, bolded and muddle mid-bass, there is a dip in the low-mid, there is also some unnatural resonance that i can't point out where it is happening (maybe at the high?). Overall it's sounds over compressed to me.

2. The Triple-Comfort, the bass punch is a little bit lighter than hybrid silicone. The unnatural resonance is completely gone, everything is a bit softer to listen, but the mid-bass is still bolded and muddle. It sounds a bit better overall than the hybrid silicone.

3. The AZLA XELASTEC, seals great, the bass punch is in the same ball park as the hybrid silicone, no unnatural resonance, no mid-bass bold, but the natural decay of the bass is dead and gone, the mid-high is up a bit make the vocal more up front and clear. Overall it's sounds unnaturally clean but the tone is changed.

4. The Acoustune AET07, no unnatural resonance, no bolded and muddle mid-bass, the bass punch is a little bit lighter than hybrid silicone, the mid-high is boosted, vocal sounds up front and focus on clarity, sometimes feel shouty, not good for long listening.

5. The Final E-Type, it sounds the best of all that i tried. No unnatural resonance, no bolded and muddle mid-bass, no low-mid dip, no mid-high boost, the bass punch is a little bit lighter than hybrid silicone, the natural decay is still there, the texture and details is much more easier to listen and distinct. Everything is great, i found nothings wrong with it.

I had pretty much the same findings when tip rolling with the Z1R. I found the Sedna light short to be the best alongside the Acoustune AET07 (depending on the music genre). I also felt that the best tip varied greatly depending on the source. For example, I preferred the Acoustune tip must more than the Sedna tip with the Kann Cube but the Sedna tip better wit the SE200.

Oct 12, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #8,976 of 15,250
The MS xelastecs no longer hold ti the nozzle and constantly come stuck in my canals three them to the trash and switched back to my custom sleeves by @piotrus-g custom art

Go and retrieve them from the trash, I have a solution! :ksc75smile:

The Xelastics have got left behind and stuck in my ears from the very first time I used them and every other time without fail. Given that I had to import them from America and they cost a fortune I didn't want to give up on them so it was time to find a solution other than glue. Everything needed is shown in the picture.

6DBD386C-3F2B-4794-AB81-D012C8A1BE40_1_105_c.jpeg

Step 1. Get hairspray and container. Extra hold will be the stickiest so go for that if you need to buy it.
Step 2. Remove Xelastecs from the nozzles and give them both a good clean.
Step 3. Spray hairspray into the container so it becomes a liquid.
Step 4. Use pointed cotton buds and dip into the hairspray liquid.
Step 5. Carefully apply the solution around the nozzle of the Z1Rs without getting it inside or everywhere!
Step 6. Slide the Xelastics tips back on and make sure they are seated properly.
Step 7. Leave them to dry without messing with them. I left mine for 24 hours.
Step 8. Put Xelsatec shod IER-Z1Rs in ears and listen to music for 4 hours (timeframe optional).
Step 9. Pull IEMs out of your ears and rejoice that the tips stayed attached to the IEMs.

This has worked well for me, hopefully it will work for you too!

Oct 12, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #8,977 of 15,250
Go and retrieve them from the trash, I have a solution! :ksc75smile:

The Xelastics have got left behind and stuck in my ears from the very first time I used them and every other time without fail. Given that I had to import them from America and they cost a fortune I didn't want to give up on them so it was time to find a solution other than glue. Everything needed is shown in the picture.

6DBD386C-3F2B-4794-AB81-D012C8A1BE40_1_105_c.jpeg

Step 1. Get hairspray and container. Extra hold will be the stickiest so go for that if you need to buy it.
Step 2. Remove Xelastecs from the nozzles and give them both a good clean.
Step 3. Spray hairspray into the container so it becomes a liquid.
Step 4. Use pointed cotton buds and dip into the hairspray liquid.
Step 5. Carefully apply the solution around the nozzle of the Z1Rs without getting it inside or everywhere!
Step 6. Slide the Xelastics tips back on and make sure they are seated properly.
Step 7. Leave them to dry without messing with them. I left mine for 24 hours.
Step 8. Put Xelsatec shod IER-Z1Rs in ears and listen to music for 4 hours (timeframe optional).
Step 9. Pull IEMs out of your ears and rejoice that the tips stayed attached to the IEMs.

This has worked well for me, hopefully it will work for you too!
Will try it, thanks, nice trick

Oct 12, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #8,978 of 15,250
AAC and LDAC are totally different to my ears. At least running AAC 250 kbps from an Apple device to the Bluetooth receiver in a Walkman in comparison to sending LDAC from one Walkman to another. The LDAC sounded pretty close to 16/44.1? While LDAC is planning on going up to 24/96 at a future date, it’s not there yet. The reason Apple devices don’t transmit LDAC is it’s a conflict of interest with the iPhone chip builders. LDAC needs a dedicated chip for transferring. The ultimate dongle would be an Apple Lightning LDAC dongle, especially if LDAC transmitting goes hi-res.

Oct 12, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #8,980 of 15,250

4. The Acoustune AET07, no unnatural resonance, no bolded and muddle mid-bass, the bass punch is a little bit lighter than hybrid silicone, the mid-high is boosted, vocal sounds up front and focus on clarity, sometimes feel shouty, not good for long listening.

5. The Final E-Type, it sounds the best of all that i tried. No unnatural resonance, no bolded and muddle mid-bass, no low-mid dip, no mid-high boost, the bass punch is a little bit lighter than hybrid silicone, the natural decay is still there, the texture and details is much more easier to listen and distinct. Everything is great, i found nothings wrong with it.

Have all these tips and just tried ej07 as I have not thought about it. Not bad!

I actually really like the Xelastec, as it really makes Z1R towards EX1000 tonality! But yes, xelastec denatures z1r quite a bit.

My fave tips are Symbio wide bore, just buy them! They run larger than average

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 12, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #8,981 of 15,250
I can only speak for myself and I personally found the m7 to lack some bass and presence it if the box. So thought I'd try a cable upgrade and had the cable laying around. For me it was a clear improvement in all aspects of headphones bass, sounds stage, seperation, etc. Between the m9 and z1r cable is less of a difference but to me it seems they skimped on the m7 cable. You could probably get the same result with any upgraded cable but wanted to stick with Sony and it's not an expensive cable from their authorised repair about 120aud. Have attached a photo of all the cables, can see the m7 on the left is a basic twist, the m7 and m9 are close in size but the z1r cable is easily double of not bigger in size which could explain some of the difference. IMG_20200425_113957.jpg

Where can I get the Sony z1r cable?

Oct 13, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #8,982 of 15,250
The reason Apple devices don’t transmit LDAC is it’s a conflict of interest with the iPhone chip builders. LDAC needs a dedicated chip for transferring. The ultimate dongle would be an Apple Lightning LDAC dongle, especially if LDAC transmitting goes hi-res.

I think you've got LDAC and aptX mixed up - LDAC had always been specifically designed to work on existing BT chips and techs, it's aptX which requires Qualcomm BT chips which Apple has absolutely no interest in using in their phones and devices. In contrast LDAC only requires paying a license fee to Sony with no specific ties to BT chip choice, but again, Apple has absolutely no interest in doing that either because Apple themselves are not invested in Hi-res music yet, and AAC is absolutely perfect for their usage at this current stage.

The only reason aptX got widespread adoption was because Qualcomm makes like 90% of the chips used in Android-based mobile devices and they throw in aptX for free for a long time, so no one had any incentive to go license LDAC from Sony for the longest time, that is until Sony decided to contribute to Android by building in the LDAC codec in the Android code base (which also forced Qualcomm to follow suit).

This is why I always say aptX is bad for consumers and audiophiles alike - the tech behind aptX is much less smart than both AAC and LDAC as aptX compression algorithm is dated and less efficient, Qualcomm keeps segmentating the codec and breaking it into things like aptX LL/HD etc and never let you have all of it in one form, on top of which Qualcomm forces you to use their hardware. It's lose lose for everyone except Qualcomm.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #8,983 of 15,250
I think you've got LDAC and aptX mixed up - LDAC had always been specifically designed to work on existing BT chips and techs, it's aptX which requires Qualcomm BT chips which Apple has absolutely no interest in using in their phones and devices. In contrast LDAC only requires paying a license fee to Sony with no specific ties to BT chip choice, but again, Apple has absolutely no interest in doing that either because Apple themselves are not invested in Hi-res music yet, and AAC is absolutely perfect for their usage at this current stage.

The only reason aptX got widespread adoption was because Qualcomm makes like 90% of the chips used in Android-based mobile devices and they throw in aptX for free for a long time, so no one had any incentive to go license LDAC from Sony for the longest time, that is until Sony decided to contribute to Android by building in the LDAC codec in the Android code base (which also forced Qualcomm to follow suit).

This is why I always say aptX is bad for consumers and audiophiles alike - the tech behind aptX is much less smart than both AAC and LDAC as aptX compression algorithm is dated and less efficient, Qualcomm keeps segmentating the codec and breaking it into things like aptX LL/HD etc and never let you have all of it in one form, on top of which Qualcomm forces you to use their hardware. It's lose lose for everyone except Qualcomm.

Interesting! :)
So it could be the fees required? Wow.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #8,984 of 15,250
Interesting! :)
So it could be the fees required? Wow.

Pretty much.
Apple has loyal user base as well as the best integration within their own ecosystem which highly satisfy the needs of the majority of its users. They also contributed to development of AAC as well as made one of the best implementation of the codec (consider how Apple can achieve almost no latency with its AAC implementation that's pretty much universally usable on old and new hardware alike, whereas Qualcomm requires you to buy aptX LL compatible equipment etc), therefore there's no need to use aptX/LDAC in their products. If you can already make everything inhouse and your customer based is loyal to your products then why pay money to someone else? Considering that Apple sells tens if not hundreds of millions of iOS products each quarter, even if it is just a dollar of licensing fee that's several millions of dollars to a competitor as well as strengthening the competitors' market position over itself, so it is absolutely not in Apple's interest to license LDAC or aptX.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #8,985 of 15,250
Pretty much.
Apple has loyal user base as well as the best integration within their own ecosystem which highly satisfy the needs of the majority of its users. They also contributed to development of AAC as well as made one of the best implementation of the codec (consider how Apple can achieve almost no latency with its AAC implementation that's pretty much universally usable on old and new hardware alike, whereas Qualcomm requires you to buy aptX LL compatible equipment etc), therefore there's no need to use aptX/LDAC in their products. If you can already make everything inhouse and your customer based is loyal to your products then why pay money to someone else? Considering that Apple sells tens if not hundreds of millions of iOS products each quarter, even if it is just a dollar of licensing fee that's several millions of dollars to a competitor as well as strengthening the competitors' market position over itself, so it is absolutely not in Apple's interest to license LDAC or aptX.

Yes, but... AAC is horrible though? At least that’s my take on it in comparison to LDAC going Walkman to Walkman and AAC going Bluetooth to the Walkman? I could never use AAC all the time but LDAC.....yes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back