SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 18, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #9,051 of 15,290
Oct 19, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #9,053 of 15,290
try symbio w peel tips .. fit is excellent with them. 3626CF56-7637-44A4-824D-CD0C867C5AD3.jpeg7F8E3EA2-7A38-4FE3-9120-963B4614564E.jpeg
Decided to try it out after your comment. I've tried it before but didn't think much of it because stock hybrids were sounding so great.
It's interesting. I think the foam help lift up the weight of the iem so it feel a bit more comfortable. The sound is a bit tighter, I definitely feel more bass punch there and the endless extension is still there, but not as much.

I still think the stock silicon hybrid sounds better (to me), but these are quite comfortable.

I guess I should go through my eartips collection with these Z1R someday :)

20201019_131510.jpg

Oct 19, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #9,056 of 15,290
So I just looked into those PW Audio 1950s cause I actually dig the look with the Z1R. Correct me if I'm wrong but are those cables actually $1900? And what about them demands that value?

They are indeed fairly expensive and value is subjective - but these cables enhance the sound in a few ways I really like (hence enough value), particularly with regards to the presentation of the bass. It's tighter and more has a more dynamic slam over the stock Sony cables.

Having said that I do have a bunch of cables and, depending on the type of music and one's personal preferences, it might be that some other cable at a much more economical price point could be an equally appealing choice.

Oct 19, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #9,057 of 15,290
I don’t know but I’ve yet to come across any cable that really fixed or improved sound. If it’s a defected cable sure. But in every other case? The improvements are minor and almost non noticeable in a blind test at best as most just have a lower or higher impedance so scientifically speaking I’d say a cable is merely a transport and won’t make any significant difference in sound over short distances but perhaps others might disagree on this. As such I believe a cable of nearly 2k is insane.

Oct 19, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #9,058 of 15,290
I don’t know but I’ve yet to come across any cable that really fixed or improved sound. If it’s a defected cable sure. But in every other case? The improvements are minor and almost non noticeable in a blind test at best as most just have a lower or higher impedance so scientifically speaking I’d say a cable is merely a transport and won’t make any significant difference in sound over short distances but perhaps others might disagree on this. As such I believe a cable of nearly 2k is insane.

Cables carrying a signal are subject to good and bad designs for their application, and that's a fact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_cable

Now whether the improvements are "worth it" is subjective and dependent on your whole system. If you're putting expensive cables on low-quality DAP then that obviously makes no sense since the the weakest link will essentially negate any gains from the strongest. Likewise, if you don't have well-mastered source material then good cables won't be of consequence.

Edit: A really good example of how cables have "levels" of performance can be seen with ethernet networking cables.

https://www.electronics-notes.com/a...ieee-802-3/cables-types-pinout-cat-5-5e-6.php

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #9,059 of 15,290
Cables carrying a signal are subject to good and bad designs for their application, and that's a fact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_cable

Now whether the improvements are "worth it" is subjective and dependent on your whole system. If you're putting expensive cables on low-quality DAP then that obviously makes no sense since the the weakest link will essentially negate any gains from the strongest.

Edit: A really good example of how cables have "levels" of performance can be seen with ethernet networking cables.

https://www.electronics-notes.com/a...ieee-802-3/cables-types-pinout-cat-5-5e-6.php
Ethernet and sound isn’t the same in my opinion but let’s agree to disagree as I didn’t want to derail the thread and this is about the lovely z1r :)

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #9,060 of 15,290
Ethernet and sound isn’t the same in my opinion but let’s agree to disagree as I didn’t want to derail the thread and this is about the lovely z1r :)

Yeah that's just to emphasize that there are clearly levels of performance based on how a cable is built, and crosstalk applies to audio just as in networking. But yes - I agree to disagree and will leave it at that.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back