SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 19, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #9,061 of 15,290
Well, we are trying to enjoy our Z1r by trying different eartips, cables, or even modification.

If we treat the eartips/cable as part of your music chain...then we will think it's worth it.

But If we treat the tips/cable part of our IEM....then no.

Worth or not is totally subject to how deep is your pocket. Just like those who are using stock cellphone IEM will think we are insane to buy Z1r...hahahaha

Note: I know good cable is expensive but it's addictive once you have tried a good cable with your favorite gear!!

Cheers

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #9,062 of 15,290
I don’t know but I’ve yet to come across any cable that really fixed or improved sound. If it’s a defected cable sure. But in every other case? The improvements are minor and almost non noticeable in a blind test at best as most just have a lower or higher impedance so scientifically speaking I’d say a cable is merely a transport and won’t make any significant difference in sound over short distances but perhaps others might disagree on this. As such I believe a cable of nearly 2k is insane.
Have you tried the 1950s though?

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #9,063 of 15,290
So I just looked into those PW Audio 1950s cause I actually dig the look with the Z1R. Correct me if I'm wrong but are those cables actually $1900? And what about them demands that value?

That some people are willing to pay through the nose for them.

I don’t know but I’ve yet to come across any cable that really fixed or improved sound. If it’s a defected cable sure. But in every other case? The improvements are minor and almost non noticeable in a blind test at best as most just have a lower or higher impedance so scientifically speaking I’d say a cable is merely a transport and won’t make any significant difference in sound over short distances but perhaps others might disagree on this. As such I believe a cable of nearly 2k is insane.

It is indeed.

Oct 20, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #9,066 of 15,290
Have you tried the 1950s though?
Haven’t tried that cable in specific no but I have tried various cables from cheap to what I call already expensive for a cable given the amount of change I believe it’s capable of producing (400-500 euro range) and I personally think it’s a waste of money and better spent on a good dac / amp as you require or see fit rather than on a cable. That’s just my opinion though :)

Oct 20, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #9,068 of 15,290
Haven’t tried that cable in specific no but I have tried various cables from cheap to what I call already expensive for a cable given the amount of change I believe it’s capable of producing (400-500 euro range) and I personally think it’s a waste of money and better spent on a good dac / amp as you require or see fit rather than on a cable. That’s just my opinion though :)
My maximal budget for a cable is max 300€

Oct 20, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #9,069 of 15,290

I have same thought previously until I tried good cable. I am genuinely think that a good cable is equally important as a good DAC.

Oct 20, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #9,070 of 15,290
for quite some time, i abstained from engaging in any cable talk; i maintained no opinion about whether or not cables mattered or made any difference at all.

and i certainly agree that a cable will not "fix" a flawed sound, or a sound you do not like.

but, one day i had the chance to try the 1950 on my a18t.

i can't quantify the difference to you in a substantially meaningful way, let alone convince you that it's worth any amount of money. but i can tell you that i was amazed by the difference. to this day it remains, subjectively to me, the best cable i have ever heard.

check it out if you can and see what you think.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #9,071 of 15,290
This is not new by any means, but I'd like to share it. Since the last time I tried with Symbio, I felt that [probably] the dense foam helps supporting the weight of Z1R.
The problem for me was that it got stuck inside my ears because of the grip (lack thereof) and the excess space between the ear tip and the base of Z1R's nozzle (it's wider).

I really love the sound of stock silicone so I used the old idea of putting the foam inside the tips. I'm happy to say that it's been working fine for me for the past 3 days.

Note: if you want to do this as well with symbio foam, they fit best with normal length stock silicone. I've tried with MS and SS but they're bit short for the foam. So I ended up changing from my usual combo MS/SS to S/S. The sound seems unaffected, fit is great and comfort hours extended. YMMV

20201022_090020.jpg20201022_091617.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #9,072 of 15,290
The am size xelastecs failed yesterday, they turn apart at the fold they developed, I am using ML right now

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #9,073 of 15,290
This is not new by any means, but I'd like to share it. Since the last time I tried with Symbio, I felt that [probably] the dense foam helps supporting the weight of Z1R.
The problem for me was that it got stuck inside my ears because of the grip (lack thereof) and the excess space between the ear tip and the base of Z1R's nozzle (it's wider).

I really love the sound of stock silicone so I used the old idea of putting the foam inside the tips. I'm happy to say that it's been working fine for me for the past 3 days.

Note: if you want to do this as well with symbio foam, they fit best with normal length stock silicone. I've tried with MS and SS but they're bit short for the foam. So I ended up changing from my usual combo MS/SS to S/S. The sound seems unaffected, fit is great and comfort hours extended. YMMV

20201022_090020.jpg20201022_091617.jpg
Just try the symbios without the foam :)

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #9,074 of 15,290
The am size xelastecs failed yesterday, they turn apart at the fold they developed, I am using ML right now

You probably know what you're doing, but to me, isn't folding mean they're too big for the ear?

Just try the symbios without the foam :)

I did, it was alright overall but the wider gap still make it stuck in my left ears. I used an otoscope to see, I have a sharp bend there so I'm suspecting that that's what pulling on it. Either that or I inserted them too deep.

This doesn't happen with the stock tips though.

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #9,075 of 15,290
You probably know what you're doing, but to me, isn't folding mean they're too big for the ear?

I did, it was alright overall but the wider gap still make it stuck in my left ears. I used an otoscope to see, I have a sharp bend there so I'm suspecting that that's what pulling on it. Either that or I inserted them too deep.

This doesn't happen with the stock tips though.
ears can be strange sometime ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back