SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 13, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #8,986 of 15,276
Pretty much.
Apple has loyal user base as well as the best integration within their own ecosystem which highly satisfy the needs of the majority of its users. They also contributed to development of AAC as well as made one of the best implementation of the codec (consider how Apple can achieve almost no latency with its AAC implementation that's pretty much universally usable on old and new hardware alike, whereas Qualcomm requires you to buy aptX LL compatible equipment etc), therefore there's no need to use aptX/LDAC in their products. If you can already make everything inhouse and your customer based is loyal to your products then why pay money to someone else? Considering that Apple sells tens if not hundreds of millions of iOS products each quarter, even if it is just a dollar of licensing fee that's several millions of dollars to a competitor as well as strengthening the competitors' market position over itself, so it is absolutely not in Apple's interest to license LDAC or aptX.

There is also what could be called Sony Marketing Mysteries. Like Native DSD was only allowed to port 4.4mm on the 1A and 1Z yet now with MrWalkman DMP-Z1 the Native DSD is ported to 3.5mm single ended. Which doesn’t sound like much unless your life revolves around using the Walkmans to a speaker power amp or external headphone amp, then the pieces start to fall in place. Note 4.4mm balanced is not used 4.4mm to 2X RCA. Also it gives a note to wonder in AAC implementation inside the Walkman is stifled too?! Being AAC ends a competition codec?

Edit:
It’s like balanced is not necessarily better though as Sony we will push Pentaconn so make the Pentaconn side amp better, also disable Native DSD non-Pantaconn.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #8,987 of 15,276
AAC is gutter trash. That’s why switching to LDAC or Apple offering hi-res Bluetooth would actually help for once. At least playing ALAC files through the WM1Z helps work around those limitations.

Oct 13, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #8,988 of 15,276
AAC is perfectly fine for me with the XM3 in ears on the go and the occasional movie stream to the 1Z

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #8,989 of 15,276
AAC is gutter trash. That’s why switching to LDAC or Apple offering hi-res Bluetooth would actually help for once. At least playing ALAC files through the WM1Z helps work around those limitations.
AAC is perfectly fine for me with the XM3 in ears on the go and the occasional move stream to the 1Z

RIght, I mean there is something to be said of perspective here. Meaning listening to AAC from a Sony product is like eating a steak in a vegetarian heath restaurant!

If Australia would have invented the world map, the world would be upside down. That’s why I can’t judge AAC with the Walkmans. :)

Oct 13, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #8,990 of 15,276
Also it gives a note to wonder in AAC implementation inside the Walkman is stifled too?! Being AAC ends a competition codec?

It's quite possible.
AAC codec requires tuning and is more complex to implement than aptX, it had been measured and shown that only Apple does AAC properly when it comes to smartphones acting as source:
https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-aac-20296/

I won't be surprised if Sony's AAC implementation is not as nice as Apple's as well in the Walkmans.

Oct 13, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #8,991 of 15,276
Oct 13, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #8,993 of 15,276
I really want to get these because the descriptions make them sound like my preferred sound signature. I also really like MDR-Z1R and it might make a good addition to my collection. My only hesitation is that a lot of people are unhappy with the fit/comfort to the point of not owning a pair simply due to those reasons. What's the general consensus in this thread about that? Is it really as bad as people say?

Oct 13, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #8,994 of 15,276
I really want to get these because the descriptions make them sound like my preferred sound signature. I also really like MDR-Z1R and it might make a good addition to my collection. My only hesitation is that a lot of people are unhappy with the fit/comfort to the point of not owning a pair simply due to those reasons. What's the general consensus in this thread about that? Is it really as bad as people say?

NO :)

Oct 13, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #8,995 of 15,276
I blind bought mine. I expected the sound to hit a sweet spot for me and after all the reviews and videos and tons of reading, I couldn't resist lol.
I'm lucky it just barely fit and the sound is indeed awesome. But like others here, I'd suggest demo them in person if you can. Personally, I'd drive an hour or two to demo them if there's chance. Now I don't have to.

What other iem do you have? perhaps some of us can compare the size.

Oct 13, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #8,996 of 15,276
I blind bought mine. I expected the sound to hit a sweet spot for me and after all the reviews and videos and tons of reading, I couldn't resist lol.
I'm lucky it just barely fit and the sound is indeed awesome. But like others here, I'd suggest demo them in person if you can. Personally, I'd drive an hour or two to demo them if there's chance. Now I don't have to.

What other iem do you have? perhaps some of us can compare the size.

I have the XBA-N3 which I adore (the fit is perfect with the smallest size tips) and the Moondrop Starfields which are a decent fit but far from my preferred sound signature.

I am going to ask a shop in my city if they might have them even though it shows up that they're out of stock

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #8,997 of 15,276
I don't have a problem with the iem shells at all. They go in deep and sit well. I think that people just aren't used to iems going this far into their ear. I think that they're pretty comfortable actually.

Personally, I don't like the earhooks but other people here don't really have a problem with them. Also, I think that it's unanimously agreed that they need aftermarket tips.

Don't let comfort hold you back, they're just as, if not more, comfortable than any other universal shell iem.

Oct 13, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #8,998 of 15,276
No , find the right tips which suits you and the fit is fine , I use them 6-7 h straight no issues :) also trying different cables adjust the fit

Oct 13, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #9,000 of 15,276
If they fit you they fit you. If they don’t fit you then they don’t. They are big and they are heavy yet if they fit they seem unbelievably comfortable? They are more comfortable than they look like they would be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back