SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 1, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #886 of 15,290
Sony really needs to communicate at some point...

Feb 1, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #889 of 15,290
Sony really needs to communicate at some point...

They really don't, because they never properly announced a specific release date, only a time window. Everything was just speculation based on crumbs of non-official information.

When Amazon keeps taking pre-orders and announcing expected release dates and people taking that date way seriously even while Sony hasn't announced anything, then the responsibility lies with the user and Amazon, not Sony. Thus when Amazon pulls the item, then the issue also lies with Amazon and the end user, not Sony.

I understand that with today's information age people love to speculate based on random pieces of information and gets impatient or angry when their prediction wasn't met, but your impatiences is not the fault of the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #890 of 15,290
I doubt very much Amazon is pulling release dates out of its hat, they usually require this from provider... very doubtful...

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #892 of 15,290
They really don't, because they never properly announced a specific release date, only a time window. Everything was just speculation based on crumbs of non-official information.

When Amazon keeps taking pre-orders and announcing expected release dates and people taking that date way seriously even while Sony hasn't announced anything, then the responsibility lies with the user and Amazon, not Sony. Thus when Amazon pulls the item, then the issue also lies with Amazon and the end user, not Sony.

I understand that with today's information age people love to speculate based on random pieces of information and gets impatient or angry when their prediction wasn't met, but your impatiences is not the fault of the manufacturer.

I’d like to point out that until recently, the product page on Sony had a direct link to Amazon as a means of pre-ordering...that’s how I ended up there.

I don’t know where the presumed date originated from, but the product listing itself doesn’t appear to be random in this case.

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #893 of 15,290
You can spin it all you want, Sony demo’ed the thing before the initial release date/period and several retailers announced it roughly around the same time (strange, isn’t it...). Now it’s delayed, we even had inside info about the delay and now there never was a delay... go figure. One thing for sure, this is puzzling to say the least. The rest of the new range was out on time, so there is that as well.

Delaying is not really the problem, lack of communication is.

There is justified high expectations for a new Sony flagship IEMs, the EX1000 is very far back in the past (even the XBA-Z5 if you consider it as the last flagship...is quite some time ago), is that unreasonable to expect Sony to have some kind of control and mastery over the production? I am sure they know.

No reason not to communicate, unless you don’t care about customers especially those who pre-ordered... or there is another issue that is not solved and there is no visibility on it but doubtful... All in all, just puzzling situation. At this point I am loosing interest.

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #894 of 15,290
Sony's global distribution for hifi audio products definitely seems wonky (e.g. limited ZX300 selection outside of Japan/east Asia). I feel like I have an easier time ordering from smaller makers than a massive conglomerate with decades of experience selling to all major markets (the counterargument being that Sony's high end audio division might effectively be a small maker that's burdened with the bureaucratic load of being a part of a much larger organization). But yeah, I wouldn't take Amazon's expected preorder delivery date as an official release in absence of one.

Feb 2, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #895 of 15,290
I doubt very much Amazon is pulling release dates out of its hat, they usually require this from provider... very doubtful...

Amazon uses unreasonable placeholder prices/dates all the time. They had Cyberpunk 2077’s launch date set at December 28 2018. Unlikely that CD Projekt Red gave Amazon that specific date, seeing they had it pretty clear from even 2016 that they hoped to release the game in 2019 at the earliest.

Same with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Remastered having being listed as having a release date of 30 April 2018. Which was immediately dismissed since COD games don’t release in April and the pre-order price was significantly lower than anything Activision would price their COD games for.

Now I don’t know the situation with these earphones but there’s a whole bucket list of strange Amazon listings that don’t come close to panning out.

You can spin it all you want, Sony demo’ed the thing before the initial release date/period and several retailers announced it roughly around the same time (strange, isn’t it...). Now it’s delayed, we even had inside info about the delay and now there never was a delay... go figure. One thing for sure, this is puzzling to say the least. The rest of the new range was out on time, so there is that as well

The IER-M7/M9 are using relatively simple metal/plastic shells and are made in Thailand. The IER-Z1R are made from a zirconium alloy with a magnesium inner sleeve and are made in Japan. They are also using proprietary dynamic drivers. The tooling required is not comparable and inflexibility of making something in Japan and not China/South East Asia is not something to take lightly.

It goes without saying that getting the scale of production up of something like the Z1R is going to be significantly harder. I am willing to put a few bucks down that the the shell is the problem Sony is facing with this product, it’s likely needlessly complex.

There isn’t really that much puzzling about this product, it’s a product that didn’t meet whatever release date that was provided. There’s no indication that it’s been cancelled so it’ll be released when it’s released. Just because the release date slips by a few months shouldn’t be meaningful if this product is actually as good as the demos are. It’d only be meaningful if you’re influenced by flavour of the month and community activity.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #896 of 15,290
Seeing as Sony will be at CanJam NYC (and will be showing the IER-Z1R I would assume) I hope we get an answer about the release date. I'm guessing they will have lots of people asking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back