SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 21, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #858 of 15,271
Seems in this hobby when one finds a great product they quickly start searching to replace it.

Probably to keep up the high, i've been guilty of this myself in the past, spending for the sake always having something new and fresh but it doesn't last long. I've found my unicorn, i cant pick anything wrong with the sound.

Its not absolute wow factor but does everything so well and perfectly balanced (for me) i cant complain im just content and now happy to just browse/read the forums.

Jan 21, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #859 of 15,271
You dont need to buy it, just quit headfi and be happy with solaris :grin:

I...don't think that's allowed.

2rpyfu.jpg

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #861 of 15,271
Today I go back to the same Sony Store as last time and listened to the Z1R again and did some comparison with my JVC FW10000. Both have the DMP-1Z as a source with the Z1R connect via 4.4 balanced and the 10K with 3.5 unbalanced.

Let start with soundstage. The 10k has larger soundstage with more out of your head depth while the Z1R is a bit more intimate due to it's more forward mid. Both sound amazingly open and are among the most open sounding iem I ever heard. The Z1R has better imagine capability with more holographic soundstage, instrument at the left and right side sound amazingly real and and has more body than that of the 10K. The 10k has better treble extension with more air up top while the Z1R is smoother while still retain amazing level of detail and life-like tone (probably one of my favourite part of the Z1R). The 10k is ever so slightly brighter than the Z1R with leaner mid (not thin). Not much impression about the bass this time unfortunately but there are nothing wrong with both lol.

As @Mimouille had already reported, the mid of the Z1R sounds very slightly dry and brittle but I only found it to be apparent in some tracks. I have no idea if this is the final version but the unit look very new and has been station here for demo not more than 2 weeks ago. They also open pre-order at this shop.

As of right now I prefer both over my Solaris if anyone is curious.

20190124_162513_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #862 of 15,271
Today I go back to the same Sony Store as last time and listened to the Z1R again and did some comparison with my JVC FW10000. Both have the DMP-1Z as a source with the Z1R connect via 4.4 balanced and the 10K with 3.5 unbalanced.

Let start with soundstage. The 10k has larger soundstage with more out of your head depth while the Z1R is a bit more intimate due to it's more forward mid. Both sound amazingly open and are among the most open sounding iem I ever heard. The Z1R has better imagine capability with more holographic soundstage, instrument at the left and right side sound amazingly real and and has more body than that of the 10K. The 10k has better treble extension with more air up top while the Z1R is smoother while still retain amazing level of detail and life-like tone (probably one of my favourite part of the Z1R). The 10k is ever so slightly brighter than the Z1R with leaner mid (not thin). Not much impression about the bass this time unfortunately but there is nothing wrong with both lol.

As @Mimouille had already reported, the mid of the Z1R sounds very slightly dry and brittle but I only found it to be apparent in some tracks. I have no idea if this is the final version but the unit look very new and has been station here for demo not more than 2 weeks ago. They also open pre-order at this shop.

As of right now I prefer both over my Solaris if anyone is curious.

Thanks for the feedback :)
To be fair, did you hook the Solaris up with the DMP-Z1 ?
Because you’ve tested the FW10K and Z1R out of a 9/10K DAC/AMP after all, it could scale up quite a bit :wink:

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #867 of 15,271
Photo of the Z1R and Solaris in your ears for comparison?
You have an ear fetish ? You always asking for skin pics. The Solaris you have is the biggiest iem.

Jan 25, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #870 of 15,271
Any word on an update for the release date?

EDIT: Have just emailed Sony Canada support. Will report back with the answer from the horses mouth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back