SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 14, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #8,131 of 15,277
Nah... Hugo 2 + 2go will beat the dmp1z.... H2go is waaaaay better than TAZ. I had the taz it’s crap. M15 is better than 1z and H2go is way better than m15.

I will have a new IERZ1 on Thursday that I will use with the H2go And report back comparisons to the LCD 4Z which has otherworldly synergy with H2go.

Never heard the TA called crap. How were you getting source to it?

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #8,133 of 15,277
You obviously never heard an mscaled tt2. When I had the taz was just being fed by iMac... it’s still crap You can’t convince me otherwise. Sony dacs are not that great.

USB from an iMac is not the best. Your comparison is a completely different price point.

Anyway have a nice day. :)

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #8,135 of 15,277
USB from an iMac is not the best. Your comparison is a completely different price point.

Anyway have a nice day. :)
The TA was meant to be used with the IER-Z1R, Z7M2, and MDR-Z1R with great results. Yup, there are other solid amps out there. But we are happy to use the IER-Z1R with the TA. Cheers!

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #8,136 of 15,277
Having something in your pocket better than the TAZ it was well worth the price

To you obviously, but the TA and 1Z are certainly not crap by any objective measure.

Clearly there may be better solutions based on personal preferences and at other price points.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #8,137 of 15,277
Nah... Hugo 2 + 2go will beat the dmp1z.... H2go is waaaaay better than TAZ. I had the taz it’s crap. M15 is better than 1z and H2go is way better than m15.

I will have a new IERZ1 on Thursday that I will use with the H2go And report back comparisons to the LCD 4Z which has otherworldly synergy with H2go.
How does the hugo2 by itself fare against teh 1z or TA?

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #8,139 of 15,277
To you obviously, but the TA and 1Z are certainly not crap by any objective measure.

Clearly there may be better solutions based on personal preferences and at other price points.
TA= E621881E-D1C6-4B9C-A56F-33157FED8096.png

I’ve never heard such talk?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #8,141 of 15,277
You obviously never heard an mscaled tt2. When I had the taz was just being fed by iMac... it’s still crap You can’t convince me otherwise. Sony dacs are not that great.

I've heard the M-scaler TT2 combo, I've also heard the Dave M-scaler combo. I also used to own a Hugo 2 and a Mojo.
If you don't own power hungry, hard to drive dynamic or ortho headphones, those combos actually don't do that much more than either the TA amp or the DMP-Z1.

Which is why I now only own the DMP-Z1 when I could've upgraded my Hugo 2 to a M-scaler stack with the same money, the DMP-Z1 is simple and self-contained with a great UI, don't even have to worry about a clean source which was the case for the Chord products - which as much as I enjoyed them as technical DACs, finding a good source with a good UX for them is a PIA if I'm away from my PC running Roon.

I love Chord products, but their UX is an acquired taste and leaves a lot to be desired when compared to the super-polished Sony products.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #8,142 of 15,277
For those who were wondering more about the custom tips and how far they stick out of my ears...

IMG_20200714_110047.jpg

You'll have to excuse the crazy covid hair and beard. Working from home means I don't have to worry about getting my hair cut or being presentable. Also please excuse the potato quality.

I have also been using them for over an hour this morning. Comfort is a thousand times better for me than the z1r has ever been with normal tips. No pressure points, no pain. I wouldn't go so far as to call them completely comfortable though. There have been moments where they sort of "disappear" but overall I can definitely still feel them and feel some pressure. The z1r is still quite heavy. I am also guessing that being that far out of the ear also kind of creates some extra cantilevered weight too.

As a quick test I did put the tips in without the z1r and I could barely tell I had them in. So it's definitely the heft and weight of the z1r here making them feel noticeable and giving that sense of pressure in the ear. I will say though it's definitely got me interested in getting am actual ciem made, even though I resisted them for so long.

I'm not 100% sure how comfortable I will be for wearing these for really long listening sessions (like a full day of work) but it's a definite improvement for me and makes the z1r quite usable again for me, even with the stock cable, which I like.

Jul 14, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #8,143 of 15,277
For those who were wondering more about the custom tips and how far they stick out of my ears...

IMG_20200714_110047.jpg

You'll have to excuse the crazy covid hair and beard. Working from home means I don't have to worry about getting my hair cut or being presentable. Also please excuse the potato quality.

I have also been using them for over an hour this morning. Comfort is a thousand times better for me than the z1r has ever been with normal tips. No pressure points, no pain. I wouldn't go so far as to call them completely comfortable though. There have been moments where they sort of "disappear" but overall I can definitely still feel them and feel some pressure. The z1r is still quite heavy. I am also guessing that being that far out of the ear also kind of creates some extra cantilevered weight too.

As a quick test I did put the tips in without the z1r and I could barely tell I had them in. So it's definitely the heft and weight of the z1r here making them feel noticeable and giving that sense of pressure in the ear. I will say though it's definitely got me interested in getting am actual ciem made, even though I resisted them for so long.

I'm not 100% sure how comfortable I will be for wearing these for really long listening sessions (like a full day of work) but it's a definite improvement for me and makes the z1r quite usable again for me, even with the stock cable, which I like.

RIght on man...glad you're finding some success with those tips. On another note judging by this pic you look like you belong up here in the rugged west coast of BC.

Jul 14, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #8,144 of 15,277
RIght on man...glad you're finding some success with those tips. On another note judging by this pic you look like you belong up here in the rugged west coast of BC.
Yea they are definitely making a positive difference here. Of course it also now means decisions on which iems to keep might be different than otherwise, for better or worse.

Also, beautiful country out there... Believe me I wish I was out that way... For many reasons right now that i won't get into as I'm sure some of them would very easily get my comments deleted or worse.

Jul 14, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #8,145 of 15,277

IMG_20200714_110047.jpg

Thanks for this. They do stick out a fair amount don't they.
At the moment I'm waiting to receive the Z1R stock tips (as I didn't receive them when I received the Z1R earphones) but I'm pretty sure I'll be going down the route of custom tips too 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back