SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 14, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #8,146 of 15,290
Thanks for this. They do stick out a fair amount don't they.
At the moment I'm waiting to receive the Z1R stock tips (as I didn't receive them when I received the Z1R earphones) but I'm pretty sure I'll be going down the route of custom tips too đź‘Ť
Yea I'm pretty happy with the custom tips overall. Not perfect but a huge improvement for me. Used them for about 3 hours this morning and only had a tiny amount of soreness after I took them out of my ears but that cleared up after a few minutes.

Jul 14, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #8,147 of 15,290
Yea I'm pretty happy with the custom tips overall. Not perfect but a huge improvement for me. Used them for about 3 hours this morning and only had a tiny amount of soreness after I took them out of my ears but that cleared up after a few minutes.
Whilst waiting for the stock Sony ones, I've tried a range of tips but to no avail really. On my ears - which I think are average sized - Symbio W ones are good for sound but poor in terms of comfort. I'm looking forward to trying out the Sony ones when I get them but not holding my breath that they'll be the answer for me.
My Andro custom tips are pretty much perfect, but given the heft of the Z1R I wouldn't expect customs for those to be as good which is why I have been curious to know your thoughts on them. But going by your experience, at the very least it seems a vast improvement can be had, which gets my hopes up as the sound is sublime with the WM1Z đź‘Ť

Jul 14, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #8,148 of 15,290
Whilst waiting for the stock Sony ones, I've tried a range of tips but to no avail really. On my ears - which I think are average sized - Symbio W ones are good for sound but poor in terms of comfort. I'm looking forward to trying out the Sony ones when I get them but not holding my breath that they'll be the answer for me.
My Andro custom tips are pretty much perfect, but given the heft of the Z1R I wouldn't expect customs for those to be as good which is why I have been curious to know your thoughts on them. But going by your experience, at the very least it seems a vast improvement can be had, which gets my hopes up as the sound is sublime with the WM1Z đź‘Ť
I have trouble getting a comfortable fit with many larger multi driver iems it seems. The Andromeda gold and 64 audio universal shells do pretty well for me. But others like the solaris or the empire ears Valkyrie just are very uncomfortable to me.

The z1r I was always able to get a good seal and was even able to get a deep fit as many recommend, but there would always be a pressure point or two that eventually turned painful.

Either way, yes, vast improvement. Not 100% it was worth the time or hassle or cost, mainly because the 64 nio has been just so right for me. But until I got it, I kept coming back to the sound of the z1r over the others I had. Just couldn't wear them for long.

Jul 14, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #8,149 of 15,290
I have trouble getting a comfortable fit with many larger multi driver iems it seems. The Andromeda gold and 64 audio universal shells do pretty well for me. But others like the solaris or the empire ears Valkyrie just are very uncomfortable to me.

The z1r I was always able to get a good seal and was even able to get a deep fit as many recommend, but there would always be a pressure point or two that eventually turned painful.

Either way, yes, vast improvement. Not 100% it was worth the time or hassle or cost, mainly because the 64 nio has been just so right for me. But until I got it, I kept coming back to the sound of the z1r over the others I had. Just couldn't wear them for long.

Glad it’s worked out for you man! Have the custom tips altered the sound at all? Sorry if you already covered this I may have missed it

Jul 14, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #8,150 of 15,290
Glad it’s worked out for you man! Have the custom tips altered the sound at all? Sorry if you already covered this I may have missed it
Not that I can tell. But I should also say that I also don't hear any real differences between a shallow or deeper insertion with the z1r either, while some say deeper fit is necessary to tame some occasionally harsh treble (I have never heard the treble as harsh).

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #8,151 of 15,290
Not that I can tell. But I should also say that I also don't hear any real differences between a shallow or deeper insertion with the z1r either, while some say deeper fit is necessary to tame some occasionally harsh treble (I have never heard the treble as harsh).

Yeah I didn't experience any treble harshness either but I remember some people saying they heard a difference. I find a shallower fit to sound a little more v-shaped, the mids sound a little more distant and the bass sounds slightly boomier. Treble sounds roughly the same to me though.

Jul 15, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #8,152 of 15,290

It’s the opposite for me. The deeper it is, the harsher the treble (a lot more sibilant). I guess it’s down to the anatomy of each person’s ear canal.

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #8,153 of 15,290
It could be possible that his previous Iem was Vega, it does present with Harsh treble so It might be fine for Ier-z1R
After switch from Andromeda to Z1R, I feel treble is quite normal, Andromeda might be slightly better but headspace of Z1r is just speechless

Jul 15, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #8,155 of 15,290
Mine just arrived. Listening now through the TA-ZH1ES. LOVE the sound! Bright, and lively. Is there a burn in period, and if so, what should I expect in terms of the sound changing post burn in? I think these are going to be keepers..
addendum: I just read in the link below that there is a burn in period. This reviewer says that the soundstage becomes more expansive after 150 hours. This is good news, as I actually expected the soundstage to be a bit wider than I'm experiencing it.
https://headfonics.com/sony-ier-z1r-review/2/

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #8,157 of 15,290
I've seen several people comment in reviews that these IEMs have a "grainy" quality to the sound, and I hear it also. Is this a quality that some people like, maybe kind of like "grain" in film? lol
Interesting take, I haven’t heard that when I auditioned. Is that a critique or you like what you’re hearing?

Cheers

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 15, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #8,158 of 15,290
This is a little off topic, but for those that are bothered by micro scratches on the shiny ier-z1r shell, I can confirm that you can buff them out with just a polishing cloth and a car wax compound. I bought mine second hand with a ton of micro scratches and I got rid of all of them. Looks brand new now
ADF8573D-CDE6-4E9B-AAE7-C615C5CD8B10.jpeg

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #8,159 of 15,290
This is a little off topic, but for those that are bothered by micro scratches on the shiny ier-z1r shell, I can confirm that you can buff them out with just a polishing cloth and a car wax compound. I bought mine second hand with a ton of micro scratches and I got rid of all of them. Looks brand new now ADF8573D-CDE6-4E9B-AAE7-C615C5CD8B10.jpeg
wow! Great to know thanks!

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #8,160 of 15,290
The triple comfort tips aren't large enough for my big ears which is too bad as I really like the material. The largest of the hybrid set are barely large enough. I want some foam tips anyhow. Anyone have a recommendation for foam tips like the ones that Comply makes? (except Comply does't make tips for our iems).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back