SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 30, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #7,291 of 15,275
I don't keep up with politics, but the UK is not out of the EU yet, is it? If so, you can buy from any EU Amazon site, no problem. Returns would be handled by the selling branch, but it's the same process as returning to amazon.co.uk.

As far as condition goes, I understand what you mean, but Amazon is very conservative with their descriptions. My MDR had the exact same "very good" description, but except for some specs of dust and maybe some dandruff too (first thing I did once I got them was to give them a thorough cleaning... I'm pretty OCD :)) there was absolutely no marks on mine. These "second hand" items are returns as far as I know, so hopefully they've been handled with care during the evaluation period. If you're happy with the price, I'd say go for it. If you don't like the condition, you can always return them, but my bet is they will look like new, only the box will not be sealed and there might be some damage on it. And if there are some accessories missing, you can let Amazon know about it. In my case, they offered a further 25% discount, which was very, very generous.

I got my TA, MDR and 1Z all as Amazon Warehouse deals from Amazon.uk when I bought them 3 years ago and there were no problems with any of them

Apr 30, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #7,292 of 15,275
Woo Hoo. I got my IER's 20mins ago.

Initial impressions: They are a HUGE step up in detail, dynamics, treble extension and mid body compared to Solaris. Much more detail in the treble. To my ears there might be a slight treble spike but no sibilance. Very aggressive sound. Not laid back at all.

Apr 30, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #7,293 of 15,275

Initial impressions: They are a HUGE step up in detail, dynamics, treble extension and mid body compared to Solaris. Much more detail in the treble. To my ears there might be a slight treble spike but no sibilance. Very aggressive sound. Not laid back at all.
Hello, I see you got Atlas to, compared with the IER what is your opinion?
Thank you

Apr 30, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #7,294 of 15,275

20 minutes is really early, but I'm glad you like them out of the gate. Fit can be a bit tricky and might take you some time to find the best tips and seating. Just remember to try to go for the smallest tips that provide a seal. That way you'll get the deepest insertion which probably will lead to the best comfort (somewhat surprisingly) and to the best sound. Compared to the Solaris, the treble is what I zeroed in to as well. Most people focus on the bass, but to me the treble is oh, so natural on the IER.

Apr 30, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #7,295 of 15,275
Hello, I see you got Atlas to, compared with the IER what is your opinion?
Thank you

Not comparable in my opinion. The Atlas are a lot more smooth. The Atlas have a much stronger sub bass presence and more laid back mids. They also have a lot less treble extension and detail.

I need a lot more time A/B'ing but the Sony's in comparison are WAAAAY more aggressive. Gobs and gobs of detail compared to the Solaris & Atlas. Clearly a step up on all fronts. Perfect example of the benefits of having multiple IEM's in a collection. Again I think I need a lot more time but on my initial hour with them I'm not surprised that they are on the top of Crinacle's list.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #7,296 of 15,275
20 minutes is really early, but I'm glad you like them out of the gate. Fit can be a bit tricky and might take you some time to find the best tips and seating. Just remember to try to go for the smallest tips that provide a seal. That way you'll get the deepest insertion which probably will lead to the best comfort (somewhat surprisingly) and to the best sound. Compared to the Solaris, the treble is what I zeroed in to as well. Most people focus on the bass, but to me the treble is oh, so natural on the IER.

You couldn't be more correct about tips, seal and placement. I don't really like any of the included tips that I've tried but Dekoni Bullet MS are perfect for me. Mine are seated a lot more forward than the Solaris. Fit for me is tricky on most IEM's anyways (I wear the Atlas as an over ear). Treble detail is remarkable on the IER. Bass responds lovely using the x-bass on the iFi Hip Dac. And the Solaris were completely unusable on the Hip Dac without an Ie Match where these pair very nicely with it.

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #7,297 of 15,275
I still feel like I'm the only one that thinks the treble is smooth and not really aggressive at all. Still super detailed and nice, but my experience doesn't seem to match with others, perhaps it's an expectation thing, perhaps it's just how I hear them. I also know for me insertion depth makes practically no difference on sound, while many others say deeper smooths things out a bit. I know that compared with my trio, the trio is more aggressive and sharper than the z1r.

@Kevintj604 I also own the atlas and yes the z1r is definitely playing in another league, it also just feels like a more mature tuning that isn't just about hitting you over the head with bass (I should also clarify that I love my atlas too)

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #7,298 of 15,275
I still feel like I'm the only one that thinks the treble is smooth and not really aggressive at all. Still super detailed and nice, but my experience doesn't seem to match with others, perhaps it's an expectation thing, perhaps it's just how I hear them. I also know for me insertion depth makes practically no difference on sound, while many others say deeper smooths things out a bit. I know that compared with my trio, the trio is more aggressive and sharper than the z1r.

@Kevintj604 I also own the atlas and yes the z1r is definitely playing in another league, it also just feels like a more mature tuning that isn't just about hitting you over the head with bass (I should also clarify that I love my atlas tool

I fully agree with you and looking at your Current Lineup obviously you have the best of what there is to offer. I was going to look at the Tia Trio as my last IEM and work on full size but after hearing your impressions maybe I should look elsewhere. These are as aggressive as I would ever want to go. But after having the Solaris for a long time maybe I just need to sit with these for a few months to get used to them.

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #7,299 of 15,275
I fully agree with you and looking at your Current Lineup obviously you have the best of what there is to offer. I was going to look at the Tia Trio as my last IEM and work on full size but after hearing your impressions maybe I should look elsewhere. These are as aggressive as I would ever want to go. But after having the Solaris for a long time maybe I just need to sit with these for a few months to get used to them.
I love the trio too, and the fit is much easier for me than the z1r. Treble is definitely a bit sharper to me, but not harsh and it has a sparkle that the z1r doesn't have. However overall, the z1r fits my preferences a bit better and based on sound alone that would likely be the choice for me.

As a whole package though, more difficult to say, but a lot of it came down to fit for me with the z1r and how much trouble I had trying to get it to be somewhat comfortable.

I have also heard the Solaris, albeit very briefly and found it to be targeting much more of a neutral sound that just didn't quite excite me. It was still very good though. The fit though I think was even worse for me than the z1r.

May 1, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #7,300 of 15,275

@Kevintj604 I also own the atlas and yes the z1r is definitely playing in another league, it also just feels like a more mature tuning that isn't just about hitting you over the head with bass (I should also clarify that I love my atlas too)

I don't find the treble aggressive at all but then my iem grounding is with ER4S

May 1, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #7,302 of 15,275

Yep, that's how I hear them as well. (Aggressive in good way. of course, not piercing like, say, the TH-900 or something.)
This is an amazing IEM, enjoy!

May 2, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #7,303 of 15,275
Yep, that's how I hear them as well. (Aggressive in good way. of course, not piercing like, say, the TH-900 or something.)
This is an amazing IEM, enjoy!

I might be crazy but I bought the set of IER's from another Head-Fi'er this week. They arrived on Thursday. The condition of the post said "pristine". Obviously there are differences in what some people think quality is like but when they arrived I was disappointed. I'd rate them a 9/10 for condition. Still one of the nicest sets for condition that I've seen on here but they weren't what I was expecting so I'm gonna sell them here at a loss and buy another. Am I crazy for doing that?

In all honesty they are making the experience with them lackluster when the sound of them is anything but.

I changed tips to a much smaller size than i'd ever used and got the correct seating with them yesterday after about 6 hours wondering if this is how they're supposed to sound. Now they're nirvana.

May 2, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #7,304 of 15,275
I might be crazy but I bought the set of IER's from another Head-Fi'er this week. They arrived on Thursday. The condition of the post said "pristine". Obviously there are differences in what some people think quality is like but when they arrived I was disappointed. I'd rate them a 9/10 for condition. Still one of the nicest sets for condition that I've seen on here but they weren't what I was expecting so I'm gonna sell them here at a loss and buy another. Am I crazy for doing that?

In all honesty they are making the experience with them lackluster when the sound of them is anything but.

I changed tips to a much smaller size than i'd ever used and got the correct seating with them yesterday after about 6 hours wondering if this is how they're supposed to sound. Now they're nirvana.
What do you mean of not being 100% mint condition? Did they had smudges or so... Then clean them with a soft lint-free cloth with spray for LCD-screen

May 2, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #7,305 of 15,275
Yea
What do you mean of not being 100% mint condition? Did they had smudges or so... Then clean them with a soft lint-free cloth with spray for LCD-screen

Just some scuffs and micro scratches. Maybe i'm being too anal. All my other gear is OCD mint so I just want the same for these.

These are by far the best IEM i've ever had the pleasure of listening to in this hobby and I just want them essentially brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back