SONY IER-Z1R
May 3, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #7,321 of 15,247
I got lucky, found a set second hand as brand new for less than CAD$1,500 here down under. Six months ago they were on sale for about that much at a major online audio store. Absolutely love them with Chord MojoPoly and Fiio M11 Pro. Not sure which drives them better yet :D I also own the full Z1R version, that I got brand new for even less than CAD$1,500 but they're locked up at the office since March... Bloody pandemic hey!

May 3, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #7,322 of 15,247
I got lucky, found a set second hand as brand new for less than CAD$1,500 here down under. Six months ago they were on sale for about that much at a major online audio store. Absolutely love them with Chord MojoPoly and Fiio M11 Pro. Not sure which drives them better yet :D I also own the full Z1R version, that I got brand new for even less than CAD$1,500 but they're locked up at the office since March... Bloody pandemic hey!
Australia gets ridiculous pricing for Sony stuff. IER-Z1R ($1699 AUD)/MDR-Z1R($1599 AUD)/IER-M9 ($1070 AUD)/IER-M7 ($550 AUD)/ZX300 ($500 AUD) were priced well below what they should've relative to the USD even at regular prices so those sale prices just made it all the more enticing especially as a Canadian in Australia where it was like getting an extra 10% off the top. It should've mirrored Canadian pricing considering the dollar but it wasn't even close.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #7,326 of 15,247
All prices went up in Australia lately due to the AUD exchange rate. I don't think the $1,500 deal will ever be back to be honest. Before finding my second hand set I contacted A2A to ask about a deal and at that time they were listed at $2,499 and now $500 higher. If I were you I'd keep an eye on https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/forum/100-classifieds/ as you never know what comes up.

May 3, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #7,327 of 15,247
All prices went up in Australia lately due to the AUD exchange rate. I don't think the $1,500 deal will ever be back to be honest. Before finding my second hand set I contacted A2A to ask about a deal and at that time they were listed at $2,499 and now $500 higher. If I were you I'd keep an eye on https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/forum/100-classifieds/ as you never know what comes up.
Thank you for the suggestion. :))

May 3, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #7,331 of 15,247
Has anyone had the chance to compare it to the A8000 from Final Audio?
Ha, wish I had taken a picture... I was at my local hifi dealer yesterday to pick up an Arya for home demo and while there I tried the A8000 and the HEDDphone. I was listening to the Z1R on the way there, so that should establish my SQ bias at the time.

First impression trying the A8000 (and pretty much the only impression, as I only spent about 10 minutes with them) was very good. To me their tuning is similar to the Z1R so if you like one, you're likely going to enjoy the other as well. The one thing that stood out to me was some harshness in the upper mids/lower treble, at least compared to the Z1R. Bass might be a little bit more emphasize as well. Overall, an energetic signature, I'd say, but less refined than the Z1R, so the latter is still the king for me.

The fit of the A8000 however was exceptionally comfortable for me, especially coming from the ear rape that is the Z1R (even though I've gotten used to it and don't really mind it too much anymore). So I would say that if you like the sound of the Z1R, but can't make the fit work, then give the A8000 a try. They might just be what you're looking for.

Hope this helps. Remember that it's all based on a 10 minute demo.

May 3, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #7,332 of 15,247
yep. I saw the deal last November at $1500 but I was hesitated. Now I got offer of Legend X at 1900 AUD. Should I go for it or wait for z1a on sales as My current reference is still in Andromeda?
You can try the LX and see if you like. 1900 AUD, is not a hard sell in this forum if you decide to not keep it.

May 4, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #7,333 of 15,247
Hi folks,

It’s been 8ish months since I first started trawling this thread, and about 7 months of ownership of these fantastic IEMs - they still absolutely blow me away. I’ve made a few upgrades along the way that I thought I’d post about. My first change was to purchase a pair of custom sleeves from Adv-Sound. These were an absolute game changer for me. Having spent almost the same as the custom sleeves cost me in various different tips, and two months of trial and error, I couldn’t achieve a fit that would suit me for more than an hour. Resisting the thoughts around selling the IEMs, I decided to pull the trigger on the sleeves, and boy am I glad I did. These IEMs are now perfectly comfortable and fit my use case perfectly - long periods of listening while sat at my desk. I don’t think I‘m bold enough to walk around with these on! Anybody thinking about this - I cannot recommend them highly enough. The weight of the units themsleves has not proven to be a problem at all (I was concerned it might).

With regards to the source, I started with an AK15 which I tend to use a lot sat around the house, but I found that most of the time while at my desk it was in DAC mode fed by Roon>RoPieeeXL. I decided to pick up the Atom + D50s combo last week (now being fed by the RPi / optical from my USB-C hub) and have been really delighted with the results. I’m not one for cables/graphs/etc, but this combo ticked a few boxes on both form and function.

I have some HD6xx’s on the way (from a seller here) - mainly as I don’t own any cans and I’m also curious about the Sennheiser sound. Not expecting them to ‘compete‘ with the Sony’s, but am interested to hear them either way. Beyond that - there’s nothing else on the horizon for me. The wallet is closed for a while!

Hope everyone is enjoying their IER-Z1Rs as much as I am. For those thinking about custom sleeves - do it and don’t look back!

Cheers

Attachments

• 0136FAEE-7C1F-4837-8AD3-29367D9B76D7.jpeg
    0136FAEE-7C1F-4837-8AD3-29367D9B76D7.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 0
May 4, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #7,334 of 15,247
Hi folks,

It’s been 8ish months since I first started trawling this thread, and about 7 months of ownership of these fantastic IEMs - they still absolutely blow me away. I’ve made a few upgrades along the way that I thought I’d post about. My first change was to purchase a pair of custom sleeves from Adv-Sound. These were an absolute game changer for me. Having spent almost the same as the custom sleeves cost me in various different tips, and two months of trial and error, I couldn’t achieve a fit that would suit me for more than an hour. Resisting the thoughts around selling the IEMs, I decided to pull the trigger on the sleeves, and boy am I glad I did. These IEMs are now perfectly comfortable and fit my use case perfectly - long periods of listening while sat at my desk. I don’t think I‘m bold enough to walk around with these on! Anybody thinking about this - I cannot recommend them highly enough. The weight of the units themsleves has not proven to be a problem at all (I was concerned it might).

With regards to the source, I started with an AK15 which I tend to use a lot sat around the house, but I found that most of the time while at my desk it was in DAC mode fed by Roon>RoPieeeXL. I decided to pick up the Atom + D50s combo last week (now being fed by the RPi / optical from my USB-C hub) and have been really delighted with the results. I’m not one for cables/graphs/etc, but this combo ticked a few boxes on both form and function.

I have some HD6xx’s on the way (from a seller here) - mainly as I don’t own any cans and I’m also curious about the Sennheiser sound. Not expecting them to ‘compete‘ with the Sony’s, but am interested to hear them either way. Beyond that - there’s nothing else on the horizon for me. The wallet is closed for a while!

Hope everyone is enjoying their IER-Z1Rs as much as I am. For those thinking about custom sleeves - do it and don’t look back!

Cheers

I've got the 6XX's with an okay Null Audio 4.4mm balanced cable and I pad swapped them with Dekoni Elite pads. In my opinion for the price there's no other headphone on the market as good as the 6XX's. Maybe the newest version of the Sundara but the Dynamics of the 6XX is better in my opinion. They are absolutely without a doubt no way near as good as the IER-Z1R's in all aspects besides comfort which looks like you've got figured out.

I've had the Z1R's since Thursday and I am absolutely in love with them. They are quite honestly an end game IEM.

May 4, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #7,335 of 15,247
I've got the 6XX's with an okay Null Audio 4.4mm balanced cable and I pad swapped them with Dekoni Elite pads. In my opinion for the price there's no other headphone on the market as good as the 6XX's. Maybe the newest version of the Sundara but the Dynamics of the 6XX is better in my opinion. They are absolutely without a doubt no way near as good as the IER-Z1R's in all aspects besides comfort which looks like you've got figured out.

I've had the Z1R's since Thursday and I am absolutely in love with them. They are quite honestly an end game IEM.

Great perspective - thanks for the thoughts! Not wanting to verge too far from the thread - do you recommend the Dekoni pad upgrade?

Glad you’re enjoying the Z1Rs - endgame for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back