SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 7, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #15,213 of 15,273
In my case, it happens to vote of my Sony IEMs, Z1R and M7. So I just repent them up apart from the. The memory wire and then I cleaned the wire with alcohol.

Apr 7, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #15,214 of 15,273
That naming scheme would be waaaaaaaay too logical for Sony, expect something much more confusing/complicated! :ksc75smile:
Ah yes, how could I forget.

Engineers and naming products. The next one is gonna be something like MDR-UB37FC.

mdr to create more confusion of over with in ear headphone and ubfc meas ultimate brain ****ing code. very clear naming scheme I dunno.

Apr 7, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #15,215 of 15,273
Hello!

I have recently bought the Z1R and it is currently on its way. In the meantime I have some questions regarding some accessories I have seen.

Would an MMCX to 2-pin adapter like this be worth it? https://www.ebay.com/itm/204068170485

I have had a lot of trouble with MMCX in the past, especially from Sennheiser. I have always hated that the connection always rotates loosely around and that the looseness is different on each side. Also dislike the thought that it is easy/easier to brake. I was thinking that an adapter like this one would also allow me to use any cable I want and bypass the need for a custom Z1R cable.

If not... what about custom Z1R cables? Is there anyone that still makes them and ship to Europe? I have also understood that most people that had trouble with the MMCX connector used aftermarket cables, and the adapter I have mentioned should also be the same in this regard I guess.

And lastly, custom tips. Are they worth the investment? I've understood that the Z1R should be pushed deep into the ear to get the right sound, especially for the mids and treble. Wouldn't a custom ear tip ruin that?

Any other suggestions for ways to ''upgrade'' or ways to take care of the Z1R are also welcome! Thank you in advance.

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #15,218 of 15,273
Haha, fair enough. Thank you! :relieved:
I meant it with good intentions. If I had listened to many people who said that the fit of Z1R is terrible, I would probably have skipped them.
I was very hesitant to buy Z1R without trying. But I had an opportunity to buy a used one in excellent condition, and I grabbed it.

I said, what the heck...even if the fit is terrible, I will manage with it somehow.
What happened was quite contrary. The fit for me is amazing! Yes, they stick out, but they sit great and don't move.

I have more issues with Dunu Vulkan and Aur Aurora...Z1R, for me, they fit perfectly.
That's why I wrote what I wrote—some things you will know best after you try them.

Z1R are GOLD :)

Cheers!

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:43 AM Post #15,219 of 15,273
Would an MMCX to 2-pin adapter like this be worth it? https://www.ebay.com/itm/204068170485
Definitely worth it if you want to swap cables.

I have had a lot of trouble with MMCX in the past, especially from Sennheiser. I have always hated that the connection always rotates loosely around and that the looseness is different on each side. Also dislike the thought that it is easy/easier to brake. I was thinking that an adapter like this one would also allow me to use any cable I want and bypass the need for a custom Z1R cable.
The MMCX on the Z1R is super tight, one of the tightest I've came across, it won't move unless you rotate it.

About the upgrading accessories, just find a pair of tips that let you wear the Z1R securely. The original cable is also highly praised, I don't think it need replacing. Other than that, I would say the sources, both DAC/Amp you pair with the Z1R are the most important factors. With good sources which are not necessarily expensive, it's like heaven listening to music with the Z1R, with bad ones, the Z1R sounds unacceptably compressed, just a mess to be honest.

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #15,220 of 15,273
. Other than that, I would say the sources, both DAC/Amp you pair with the Z1R are the most important factors. With good sources which are not necessarily expensive, it's like heaven listening to music with the Z1R, with bad ones, the Z1R sounds unacceptably compressed, just a mess to be honest.
At home I have Topping A90D and I have the WM1A. I only need something for when I use my phone. I was thinking about getting the Queststyle M15i. I have heard good things about it and I found it as low as 200 dollars on AliExpress.

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:37 AM Post #15,221 of 15,273
At home I have Topping A90D and I have the WM1A. I only need something for when I use my phone. I was thinking about getting the Queststyle M15i. I have heard good things about it and I found it as low as 200 dollars on AliExpress.
Great, I think you would have quality time with the Topping.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #15,222 of 15,273
Well, it looks like the rumors are true this time. IER-Z1R appears to be discontinued in the US. I'm seeing more retailers discounting them. Audio46 has them listed as discontinued new model soon. FWIW

There are some pretty good discounts available right now. I may just snag a second pair.

Apr 9, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #15,223 of 15,273
Well, it looks like the rumors are true this time. IER-Z1R appears to be discontinued in the US. I'm seeing more retailers discounting them. Audio46 has them listed as discontinued new model soon. FWIW

There are some pretty good discounts available right now. I may just snag a second pair.
Looks like I snagged them just in time! Joining the older brother EXK in my collection~

That said, I'm finding that the Code 23 helps to hold them in my ears and relieve pressure from my poor ears. Stiff cables have their uses! Just 12.7g causes enough pain if not held up by the cables.

Rocking Pentaconn Coreir AL with them now.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #15,224 of 15,273

Hmm, could this be a sign that Sony is going to release successors to the IER series, or probably to the Z1R only :thinking:

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #15,225 of 15,273
Hmm, could this be a sign that Sony is going to release successors to the IER series, or probably to the Z1R only :thinking:

I don't know how reliable Audio46 is with advance information, but they clearly think that a successor is coming.

Update: Just got off the phone with Moon Audio. Their sources state that the IER-Z1R is no more. Once the stock is depeleted, that's it. There is no indication of a successor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back