SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 18, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #15,242 of 15,271
does worth upgrade cable on z1r or they not affect sound as it not sensitive?
The stock cable is really very good. I went with the Dunu blanche as I generally prefer silver, it is a bit more flexible and flows better round the ear and then it has the swappable tips

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #15,243 of 15,271
The stock cable is really very good. I went with the Dunu blanche as I generally prefer silver, it is a bit more flexible and flows better round the ear and then it has the swappable tips
Dunu blanche is only 27awg ,very thin ,so it cant affect sound on z1r. need 20-22awg 5N silver for get better performance i think. also way overpriced Dunu blanche thin calble. for 350eur can get lavricable 22awg or gladiator 20awg 5n silver. and then you will hear difference vs stock ofc copper cable. even good up occ 6N cable can beat stock z1r cable .also plugs copper or gold or rhodium have impact on sound too

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #15,244 of 15,271
do you rolled pure silver 5n or 7N copper? what cables you rolled and why return back to stock?
The first cable I tried was the FiiO LC-RE (trimetallic) then I tried the Effect Audio Cadmus 8W, the Effect Audio Ares S 8w and the Effect Audio Eros S... but in the end the one I prefer is the stock. Sony engineers also studied the best cable for the IER-Z1R... the only thing I changed were the tips which at the beginning were the Final Audio type E... but in the end I chose the Sony EP-EX11 because they have the same shape as the Final Audio but being softer they allow better insertion of the IER-Z1R into the ear canal.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #15,245 of 15,271
does worth upgrade cable on z1r or they not affect sound as it not sensitive?
I have the widely acclaimed best upgrade Brise BSEP cable incoming (several months' waiting, still not yet shipped), but what I heard that even that cable only slightly changes the sound of Z1R. Stay with stock is the best choice unless you want to upgrade in term of other concerns, such as Ergonomics.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #15,246 of 15,271
I have the widely acclaimed best upgrade Brise BSEP cable incoming (several months' waiting, still not yet shipped), but what I heard that even that cable only slightly changes the sound of Z1R. Stay with stock is the best choice unless you want to upgrade in term of other concerns, such as Ergonomics.
Still waiting for mine as well...

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #15,247 of 15,271
Dunu blanche is only 27awg ,very thin ,so it cant affect sound on z1r. need 20-22awg 5N silver for get better performance i think. also way overpriced Dunu blanche thin calble. for 350eur can get lavricable 22awg or gladiator 20awg 5n silver. and then you will hear difference vs stock ofc copper cable. even good up occ 6N cable can beat stock z1r cable .also plugs copper or gold or rhodium have impact on sound too
It certainly does affect the sound to me (though not dramatically) and I would not call it thin, it is thicker than the stock cable and more flexible. It is an 8 wire cable. I paid €300 a piece including shipping for my 2 Blanche cables and to me that seems a fair price, even cheap compared to many aftermarket cables. I have Lavri Grand on my MDR-Z1R

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #15,248 of 15,271
Code 24 brings out the dynamics of the IER-Z1R when paired to1ZM2, whereas with the stock cables i very much prefer running them off the 320MaxTi. However I do detect a hotter treble as well. Early days, shall see how they fair down the road. But man... this pairing is making me want to sell everything else I have... I doubt any of my other headphones are gonna get any ear-time from now on.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #15,249 of 15,271
no. for me stock z1r cable comfy as hell. maybe worth upgrade to 8N up occ copper.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #15,250 of 15,271
Code 24 brings out the dynamics of the IER-Z1R when paired to1ZM2, whereas with the stock cables i very much prefer running them off the 320MaxTi. However I do detect a hotter treble as well. Early days, shall see how they fair down the road. But man... this pairing is making me want to sell everything else I have... I doubt any of my other headphones are gonna get any ear-time from now on.
I run my headphones and IEMs mostly from my DMP-Z1. Otherwise, when traveling are use my WM1A (which is currently being modded at np-audio).

My full-size HP get the same eartime more or less )MDR-Z1R and OG utopia). However my IEMs vary. The IER-Z1R getting most time, then follow the XBA-Z5, and the one that gets less listening time IER-M7

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:39 AM Post #15,251 of 15,271
I've come this close to pulling the trigger on some grey market IER-Z1R imports, having enjoyed reading this thread over the past few weeks. But have just got to the end and reached the discontinuation news sad ending... does anyone have any hunches on the likelihood of a successor in the next year or so?

And another question. If you had the chance to buy IER-Z1Rs for the first time, now, knowing how they sound and knowing that they would be discontinued -- would you? Emotive answers to this necessarily subjective question welcomed and encouraged.

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #15,253 of 15,271
It seems like Z1R is only discontinued in some EU countries since they're still listed for sale in some Asia countries like Singapore, Vietnam, Japan,... BTW, a prior notice of a discontinue would actually intensify my desire to acquire one even further. I made a mistake selling a pair, If I have the opportunity to repurchase one, I won't repeat the same mistake!

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #15,254 of 15,271
And another question. If you had the chance to buy IER-Z1Rs for the first time, now, knowing how they sound and knowing that they would be discontinued -- would you? Emotive answers to this necessarily subjective question welcomed and encouraged.
Yep, and I did. Granted, I only use them for background music at work, main purpose is for watching series / movies etc, not heard another IEM that does so well for the big screen. Sold them over a year ago, regretted it, bought a brand new pair, big smiles. They don't have the tonality I seek for a mostly rock based library but for hitting play on tidal mix / latest I think they're great. They definitely deserve the praise they get and should undeniably be a bucket list IEM for most people.

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:19 AM Post #15,255 of 15,271
I've come this close to pulling the trigger on some grey market IER-Z1R imports, having enjoyed reading this thread over the past few weeks. But have just got to the end and reached the discontinuation news sad ending... does anyone have any hunches on the likelihood of a successor in the next year or so?

I felt the same way at first, when I pulled the trigger on the Z1R, it had already been around for four years. But I'm glad I went for it. The Z1R still holds the crown as my favorite IEM. I don't know when Sony will drop their next big thing, and even if they do, there's no guarantee I'll like it like the Z1R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back