Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Jan 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #1,606 of 2,773
Quote:
Bass amount is very much the same as dt770, you can try and take down some of the mid bass on the beyers trough an equilizer same here on the sony. The bass is well controlled without bleeding into the mids at all.

Around 250-400hz it is abit recessed before the mids strike in.

So for some this can make it sound wrong, if its like that try an equlize it up if you got an 8band or 16 band equ.

As for sound in comparison to and DT880, DT880 is clearer more highs, less mid bass about the same sub bass. Overall the beyers are better sounding and more analyctical, but the sony's are more relaxing to listen to. And to compare an open headphone and a closed. The open is always better in this price range.

Thanks for the info, I guess I just like these because they look great. I will most likely end up getting the 880's although I still need to find a similar pair of stylish portable headphones for when I'm out of the house.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #1,607 of 2,773
Bass is the same as the 770?

I would disagree. Its not nearly as deep and punchy as the 770, imo.

The Sonys are the most comfy phones I've worn, but, imo lacks some of that tight controlled bass.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,608 of 2,773
Soundisee, 'better' is completely subjective - they're both good 'phones, and in the end it's personal taste that will dictate which headphone signature is best for you.

Having owned both, I feel that the MDR1r has a warmer, more euphonic and relaxed sound with more bass. The DT880 on the other hand has a more accurate presentation and is truer to the original sound, but ultimately I found it a little dry. The DT880 reminds me a little of using a studio monitor - more detailed and clinical than the more easy going MDR1r which has more of an older British HiFi warmth about it - though it is more detailed than my Dad's old stereo :wink:

Purely from a sound perspective my own preference is for the Sony; I prefer to have more bass for some of the music I listen to, and I enjoy the more relaxed sound signature. The DT880 is still a very good 'phone, and I certainly wouldn't dismiss it. You would only need a fairly short listen to both of these with you favourite genre to determine which one would suit your ears best. 

I've grown up with good HiFi as my Dad was a HiFi salesman when I was a kid, and I always thought accurate sound was the most important thing. Listening to different headphones and speaker setups over the years, I've come to realise that a little warmth can actually be a good thing, even if it means that what I hear is not entirely true to the original sound. If accuracy is more important to you, and you're not worried about having a more robust bass presence, then I think the DT880 would be a more suitable 'phone for you. 

These are just my opinions having spent quite a lot of time with the DT880 and ~30 hours on the MDR1r, but I hope they might be of some use in helping you make a decision.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #1,609 of 2,773
Quote:
As for sound in comparison to and DT880, DT880 is clearer more highs, less mid bass about the same sub bass. Overall the beyers are better sounding and more analyctical, but the sony's are more relaxing to listen to. And to compare an open headphone and a closed. The open is always better in this price range.

We are definitely in  agreement here! :)

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #1,610 of 2,773
Quote:
Having owned both, I feel that the MDR1r has a warmer, more euphonic and relaxed sound with more bass. The DT880 on the other hand has a more accurate presentation and is truer to the original sound, but ultimately I found it a little dry. The DT880 reminds me a little of using a studio monitor - more detailed and clinical than the more easy going MDR1r which has more of an older British HiFi warmth about it - though it is more detailed than my Dad's old stereo :wink:

Purely from a sound perspective my own preference is for the Sony; I prefer to have more bass for some of the music I listen to, and I enjoy the more relaxed sound signature. The DT880 is still a very good 'phone, and I certainly wouldn't dismiss it. You would only need a fairly short listen to both of these with you favourite genre to determine which one would suit your ears best. 

Seems like we have quite similar taste, as much as I like DT880/600, MDR-1R provides more music enjoyment versus "monitoring" task with Beyers.

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #1,612 of 2,773
Quote:
Quote:
Midbass doesn't give drums body. Subbass gives body (20Hz and below), and the 1R has a steep rolloff after 100Hz.

You need both and the 1R delivers in that regard. Have you heard or owned the 1R?

Looking at the graph makes it very obvious. Don't need to have. 

This:

Compared to the DT1350:

No contest. Even the ATH-M50 measures better, and it has no real bass.

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #1,613 of 2,773
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Midbass doesn't give drums body. Subbass gives body (20Hz and below), and the 1R has a steep rolloff after 100Hz.

You need both and the 1R delivers in that regard. Have you heard or owned the 1R?

Looking at the graph makes it very obvious. Don't need to have. 

This:

Compared to the DT1350:

No contest. Even the ATH-M50 measures better, and it has no real bass.

First, graphs don't tell much compare to a real listen, let alone a single FR curve from multiple party with different measuring system for a totally unrelated pair of headphones.

I can't help to agree with others that you are just full of bs.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #1,614 of 2,773
no, the bass of the MDR1r is actually, not enough for me, and i am now looking to move towards the DT 770.
the Sony's bass is no where near as impactful as the 770.  its there, just not overpowering
Out of curiosity, if the bass quantity of the MDR-1R isn't enough for you, why not give the V-Moda M-100 a shot?

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #1,617 of 2,773
Quote:
First, graphs don't tell much compare to a real listen, let alone a single FR curve from multiple party with different measuring system for a totally unrelated pair of headphones.

What do you mean unrelated, takato might not own or properly auditioned MDR-1R but he owns DT1350, and all other phones are just not worthy.
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #1,618 of 2,773
Quote:
Quote:

What do you mean unrelated, takato might not own or properly auditioned MDR-1R but he owns DT1350, and all other phones are just not worthy.
biggrin.gif

Exactly my point. I own the DT1350 and the ATH-M50. After the DT1350, the M50's low end sounds hollow and light. It doesn't give body to instruments. The MDR-1R has a steeper rolloff than the M50, which is why I have a say in this.

And yes, I know about the different measuring systems, I was unable to find measurements for all 3 from the same equipment. Sorry. It still gives a relative idea of how the 3 compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back