Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Jan 11, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #1,592 of 2,773
I really like how these headphones looks but would you say they are more or less comfortable than Beyerdynamic 880's?

Depends, if your ears are medium big sized or abit above average, there is a chanse it will get near the inside. But even then they do not hurt much, can start to itch abit after a while. As for the beyers I cant feel the premium version, but also on theese my eartip is near the filt and will get abit sour after an hour. The clamp force is less, but even so isolates really well and so to say no leakeage. The pads are super soft, and you dont get as warm or sweeaty as with a beyer with leather cups or a akg k550.

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #1,597 of 2,773
Quote:

I find these more comfortable than the DT880. Mainly because the DT880 had relatively shallow earcups and my ears didn't like being pressed up against the somewhat scratchy inner foam.

I agree with this, I found the DT880 squashed the cartilage on my ear - they'd be ok for a couple of hours, but then I'd have to not wear them for a while as my ears were too sore. I find the MDR-1R very comfortable - they disappear. Ultimately we all have different shaped ears, so your mileage may vary.

I don't recall anyone saying they've been uncomfortable in the 1R on this thread - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong though :)

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #1,600 of 2,773
880 is not closed. And no, 880 is technically better and it is hard to not agree when you are amping both properly.

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #1,601 of 2,773
Quote:
880 is not closed. And no, 880 is technically better and it is hard to not agree when you are amping both properly.

True, but if one were to prefer a bassier sound, the MDR-1R would "win" by default. It's easier to get into comparing technicalities when the signatures are close to matching, otherwise, the user is best off going for the signature that matches their preferences -- even if that involves taking a "hit" on SQ.

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #1,602 of 2,773
Quote:

True, but if one were to prefer a bassier sound, the MDR-1R would "win" by default. It's easier to get into comparing technicalities when the signatures are close to matching, otherwise, the user is best off going for the signature that matches their preferences -- even if that involves taking a "hit" on SQ.

the 770's turned me off because I couldn't stand the bass, would you consider the 1r's in the same boat?

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #1,604 of 2,773
Quote:
the 770's turned me off because I couldn't stand the bass, would you consider the 1r's in the same boat?

no, the bass of the MDR1r is actually, not enough for me, and i am now looking to move towards the DT 770.
the Sony's bass is no where near as impactful as the 770.  its there, just not overpowering

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #1,605 of 2,773
Bass amount is very much the same as dt770, you can try and take down some of the mid bass on the beyers trough an equilizer same here on the sony. The bass is well controlled without bleeding into the mids at all.

Around 250-400hz it is abit recessed before the mids strike in.

So for some this can make it sound wrong, if its like that try an equlize it up if you got an 8band or 16 band equ.

As for sound in comparison to and DT880, DT880 is clearer more highs, less mid bass about the same sub bass. Overall the beyers are better sounding and more analyctical, but the sony's are more relaxing to listen to. And to compare an open headphone and a closed. The open is always better in this price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back