Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Nov 7, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #753 of 2,773
Quote:
If this is true any possibility of me liking this headphone is gone, which sucks because it does look quite nice.

when I say it lacks Pratt, I mean it's smoother than some headphones but that smoothness is not severe to the point of blandness like I have heard with some headphones. It's just not super edgy. To me Grado's are usually very edgy. Also I have to be clear, as a rule I am not a Grado fan so I may not be the best person to give Grado/Sony comparisons. Sorry I should have stated that up front. But given my impressions if your worried you should see if you can hear a pair at a store somewhere before buying.

I would agree with Jude about Violins not sounding out of balance, I personally find this headphone to be spectacular for classical music, it is making me love opera even.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #754 of 2,773
Quote:
Dweaver, so what do you think of this graph?

hmmm, I generally am not a great graph person. But looking at that graph it may not be to far off what I think these sound like as i have never tried to be scientific in how I hear this by using lots of frequency tests. The bit of frequency tests I have done (sub-bass) does show that while these go low they do drop off at 20hz range so that area may be below flat. But I do feel these at least have sub-bass which I have found not present in some headphones I have owned. The small mid-bass hump looks right too. I question that dip in the mid range as it appears to be the lower midrange seems off in my opinion but I may also be looking at the wrong area if lower midrange is not around the 500hz range. To me vocals are slightly on the warm side in comparison to my Shure 940 and 1440.

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #757 of 2,773
Quote:
it is hard for me to choose between black/red or silver/brown

I agree. I think this mainly has to do with not being able to find pictures of the silvers on people's heads. I have found many pictures like this of the black/reds though.

Can anyone take a picture/s of the silver MDR-1Rs on their noggin'?
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #759 of 2,773
Just got the 1-RNC last night. I only had a couple of hours to play around with them, so these are just initial impressions:

- Comfort: these are incredibly comfortable cans, I can easily imagine where these for hours on international flights. They migh be the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

- Looks: they're beautiful. Even my wife likes them. They are plastic, but they still feel very high-quality and very well built.

- Noise canceling: Quite good. I'm comparing it chiefly to other Sony noise canceling systems, but I'm impressed. It blocks most ambient noise, even on highly traffic city streets. The one category of sound that tends to get through is conversation. People's voices are definately quieter, but you can hear them if you turn the music down. Again, i think these will be ideal on a plane.

- Sound: with NC off, the bass is actually a little muddy and almost overwhelming of the mids and highs. But once you turn NC (and by extension the built in amp) on, things really tighten up nicely. This is in no way a bass head set, but the bass is strong and clear. What was most interesting to me is that with NC on the kids really come out and there's a lot more sparkle on the top end. The sound actually becomes quite natural and sweet sounding. It should be familiar to anyone who has spent time with the upper end of Sony's headphone range.

So, all-in-all, after one night I am very verry satisfied. The first test of them on a plane comes next week, but right now I'm expecting them to perform beautifully.

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #760 of 2,773
Still curious if anyone else has a problem with these cans creaking. If I move my jaw slightly the cups both creak and snap. Otherwise I am very happy with them. Right now I am on the fence whether to keep these or not. A possible replacement would be the MDR MA500 (the new version of the MDR F1) which I was very impressed with at the Sony store and they are $100 cheaper. 

If anyone has advice on how to quiet down the creaking I'm all ears.

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #761 of 2,773
Quote:
Still curious if anyone else has a problem with these cans creaking. If I move my jaw slightly the cups both creak and snap. Otherwise I am very happy with them. Right now I am on the fence whether to keep these or not. A possible replacement would be the MDR MA500 (the new version of the MDR F1) which I was very impressed with at the Sony store and they are $100 cheaper. 

If anyone has advice on how to quiet down the creaking I'm all ears.

I noticed it and noted it in my review :-

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-1r/reviews/7687

Don't know if there's a fix for it.

Edit: I thought the MDR-MA900 was the update of MDR-F1, not MDR-MA500).

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #762 of 2,773
Quote:

I noticed it and noted it in my review :-

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-1r/reviews/7687

Don't know if there's a fix for it.

Edit: I thought the MDR-MA900 was the update of MDR-F1, not MDR-MA500).

Thanks AnakChan you are correct I meant the MA900. 

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #763 of 2,773
They can creak and snap all they want... I WANT MY BROWN/SILVER HEADPHONES!!! :p

Sony MDR-1R Headphones for iPhone / iPad / iPod (Sliver)

Ordered: 1
Shipped: 1

w00t!!!!!!!!

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #764 of 2,773
Quote:
Just got the 1-RNC last night. I only had a couple of hours to play around with them, so these are just initial impressions:
- Comfort: these are incredibly comfortable cans, I can easily imagine where these for hours on international flights. They migh be the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.
- Looks: they're beautiful. Even my wife likes them. They are plastic, but they still feel very high-quality and very well built.
- Noise canceling: Quite good. I'm comparing it chiefly to other Sony noise canceling systems, but I'm impressed. It blocks most ambient noise, even on highly traffic city streets. The one category of sound that tends to get through is conversation. People's voices are definately quieter, but you can hear them if you turn the music down. Again, i think these will be ideal on a plane.
- Sound: with NC off, the bass is actually a little muddy and almost overwhelming of the mids and highs. But once you turn NC (and by extension the built in amp) on, things really tighten up nicely. This is in no way a bass head set, but the bass is strong and clear. What was most interesting to me is that with NC on the kids really come out and there's a lot more sparkle on the top end. The sound actually becomes quite natural and sweet sounding. It should be familiar to anyone who has spent time with the upper end of Sony's headphone range.
So, all-in-all, after one night I am very verry satisfied. The first test of them on a plane comes next week, but right now I'm expecting them to perform beautifully.

Alright Yoshixb, your review of the NC version sound very promising, so the amp does kick in and tighten up every thing and noise cacellation is excellent and that the phone still works with NC off (as oppose to Bose QC15).  I am going down to Sony store and buy one today. Thanks for your impression. I have already fell in love with the sound quality in the demo version, I think the are indeed reference grade phone IMO. I may do a review later vs HD650. - Thanks again

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #765 of 2,773
Quote:
I am very disappointed by isolation (take with a grain of salt, as I just received them, maybe earpads will adapt to my ears, and did not try them outside) : I read that it was above average, but it seems to be quite low (I can clearly hear a letter dropping from approximately 3 meters far and 1.5 meters high, did not try more ; or a pen dropping on papers 1m high, 2m far ; etc.).

Yes the isolation is pretty poor and I can hear alot of background noise. No way this thing is going on board a plane. That is why Sony decided to add the Noise cancellation version for alot more. But I think its worth it as it also has an amp inside.. Anyway I will check it out today.. Post later .. Ciao..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back