Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Nov 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #766 of 2,773
I think the isolation is as good as any other closed portable personally, fine for most things. If you want to block out sound when flying then of course you need something more heavy-duty or ANC.

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #767 of 2,773
Quote:
I think the isolation is as good as any other closed portable personally, fine for most things. If you want to block out sound when flying then of course you need something more heavy-duty or ANC.

Well It depends on comparison. I am using Ultrasone SIgnature pro close can as my reference. It is less than 50% in isolation if memory serve me well. :)

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #769 of 2,773
Quote:
If you compare it to the SRH1440 as another example the 1440 would be a similar very shallow upside down V with the peak landing slightly right of center with the treble never returning to flat and the sub-bass starting below flat (more like an upside down check mark). The 940 would again be similar witha slightly different bass response.

Thank you. I'm reading that loud and clear, since I seem to hear the 1440 the same way that you do.

Btw everything I am saying is based off listening and my interpretation of how it sounds. Nothing is measured in any scientific way.

Which is the way it should be..

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #770 of 2,773
Quote:

R-Audiohead, you may find its speed up to your expectations, so you should give it a listen at a store or meet if you can.

Most definitely have plans to try these out sometime this weekend.

I appreciate the endorsement!

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #771 of 2,773
ordered mine through accessoryjack but they said they will start to ship next week so i will probably receive mine two weeks from now =(

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #773 of 2,773
I would love to hear a pair of the NC model. The 50mm driver alone guarantee's they will be different than the standard 1R. It would be great to have an A/B comparison.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #775 of 2,773
I'm listening to the MDR-1R right now with both my Rockboxed iPod Video 5th Gen and my desktop rig, FLAC source files with both. Wow. I'm afraid the Momentum is going back to Amazon.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #777 of 2,773
Not really. Comparatively speaking the Momentum's bass is a bit muddy with more flab. The Sony has better soundstage, more forward mids and more air in the higher frequencies. The bass is more defined and seems to reach deeper than the Momentum. It sounds more refined and balanced than the Senn, which feels congested in comparison. Two physical characteristics to note: The MDR-1R is truly circumaural while the Momentum, with its smaller ear cups, for many people is on-ear. Also, the Sony's cable is very short. If you're going to use it with a desktop system you'll probably need an extension unless you sit right on top of your amp. I'm using the straight cable sans iDevice controls.

Yes indeed, I'm liking this headphone. A lot.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #779 of 2,773
I'll need some more A/B time to determine how the isolation compares between the two. And let me say that they are BOTH very beautiful, well constructed portable cans. I sort of prefer the retro look of the Sennheiser, and the leather + metal materials are very, very plush. The Sony, with all of its plastic, is more "corporate" looking to me but still an attractive piece of kit. The Momentum also comes with a much nicer case. The MDR-1R simply has a cordura bag. But in the end it's the sound that counts and so far the Sony is winning me over in a big way.

We'll see if that assessment holds true when I get the PSB M4U1 next week. CURSA YOU A-HEAD-FI!!!!!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back