Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Oct 24, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #496 of 2,773
Quote:
Did you buy Eke's XBA3? If so you can thank me too LOL as I was Eke's "pusher"
wink.gif

As for the question about the XBA3 or 7550. I would say the MDR-1R is a blend of the two. Imagine the 7550 mids coupled with the XBA's bass (mostly) and treble (plus a bit more). With a bigger sound stage, better instrument separation, and I think better dynamics and transparency. So all around I would say it's a definite upgrade for lovers of both but especially the 7550.

Then I thank you too.  
biggrin.gif

Oh man, I need another headphone like I need a hole in my head.  I think you've got me convinced that I will need to hear these for myself.  Thanks dweaver, much appreciated.  

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #498 of 2,773
Danny, go find a pair and have a listen, just be prepared to start shedding gear to have the cash afterwards LOL.

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #500 of 2,773
The jack line out is really well designed and looks cool as all get out in my opinion.

But I am now going to stop posting tonight and let my new babies lull me to sleep. :)

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #502 of 2,773
Quote:
Danny, go find a pair and have a listen, just be prepared to start shedding gear to have the cash afterwards LOL.

Sounds like a good plan.  Only place has these available is Sony Store and they charge tax and only comes in black.  Not sure if I wanna wait til amazon has them for less or wait for the silver.  
confused.gif

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #504 of 2,773
Quote:
OK, I am going to just come out and say it, "I LOVE THIS HEADPHONE". It contains everything I was wanting.
  1. Comfortable over ear design that is portable in design.
  2. Good for my iphone and my desktop amp
  3. One stylin take no prisoners kick ***** looking headphone.
  4. Bass that has good impact and goes low.
  5. Mids that are fully detailed and vibrant with excellent transparency
  6. Treble that is detailed and clear. Bright but not brittle.
  7. Excellent sound positioning
  8. Nice large sound stage for a closed headphone.

AND THEY ARE NOT BROKEN IN YET!!! 
beyersmile.png

OK now that I have got that out of my system I will let these cook over night and I will listen for a day at work.

Oh and I will echo AnakChan these are awesome for accoustical and older music for sure. I haven't tried any of my "newer" music yet so will comment on that type of genre later.

@jgray91, in regards to the 7550. These have harder hitting deeper more controlled bass, similar but better mids, and sharper more detailed treble that rides the fine line between being to much and playing it to safe. Bigger sound stage, better positioning, and better instrument separation. I liked the 7550 out of the box and I like these even more straight out of the box.

thanks for your impression, man now im really want this so bad.....

based on that impression this headphone might answer my need :D

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #505 of 2,773
Welp, now I know what I'm getting for Christmas! I just hope it comes back in stock at SonyStyle Canada, because the closest local SonyStyle location around is at least an hour away from my place.

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #506 of 2,773
Quote:
OK, I am going to just come out and say it, "I LOVE THIS HEADPHONE". It contains everything I was wanting.
  1. Comfortable over ear design that is portable in design.
  2. Good for my iphone and my desktop amp
  3. One stylin take no prisoners kick ***** looking headphone.
  4. Bass that has good impact and goes low.
  5. Mids that are fully detailed and vibrant with excellent transparency
  6. Treble that is detailed and clear. Bright but not brittle.
  7. Excellent sound positioning
  8. Nice large sound stage for a closed headphone.

AND THEY ARE NOT BROKEN IN YET!!! 
beyersmile.png

OK now that I have got that out of my system I will let these cook over night and I will listen for a day at work.

Oh and I will echo AnakChan these are awesome for accoustical and older music for sure. I haven't tried any of my "newer" music yet so will comment on that type of genre later.

@jgray91, in regards to the 7550. These have harder hitting deeper more controlled bass, similar but better mids, and sharper more detailed treble that rides the fine line between being to much and playing it to safe. Bigger sound stage, better positioning, and better instrument separation. I liked the 7550 out of the box and I like these even more straight out of the box.

How would you say the MDR-1R handle Rock and Heavy Metal? Take your time, if you want to answer at all. I don't want to make any demands of you.

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #509 of 2,773
Anakchan have you tested the BT version? how is the Sound when its on its wireless mode?
Actually, I'm quite happy with it primarily due to the balance of super comfy vs SQ ratio. Naturally from a pure SQ perspective the 1R sounds more natural but the BT sounds more aggressive (DSEE technology "over compensating"?) but for a wireless headphone that's comfy and convenient, I'm personally happy to take some small sacrifices in the SQ.

It's funny that last Friday I literally spent the whole say with it (yes the battery did last & no I didn't even charge it fully before that) & at night I went to karaoke with friends & they wanted to try these headphones hanging around my neck. Now they're not audiophiles nor would I say big audio enthusiasts, but your average listener. They were blown away by the 1RBT.

Honestly if I were in the market for a wireless solution, I think these would be my personal pick out of what's offered on the shelves now. Note though I've not tried UE's 9000 yet. But as a balance of comfort, weight, & SQ, the 1RBT keeps me quite happy.

Unfortunately I would have to return these (MDR-1R & BT - my colleagues have the NC & PHA-1) but if Sony were nice enough to say "you can keep one" I think I'd pick the BT over the 1R seeing that I have other corded headphones which I prefer over the 1R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back