Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Oct 23, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #481 of 2,773
Nice first impressions!!
Now I'm even more impatient for my headphones to finally ship and compare them to the M100s (which quite frankly, I find them a little underwhelming with the exception of the build quality and all of the accessories!)

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #482 of 2,773
Quote:
OK, I am going to just come out and say it, "I LOVE THIS HEADPHONE". It contains everything I was wanting.
  1. Comfortable over ear design that is portable in design.
  2. Good for my iphone and my desktop amp
  3. One stylin take no prisoners kick ***** looking headphone.
  4. Bass that has good impact and goes low.
  5. Mids that are fully detailed and vibrant with excellent transparency
  6. Treble that is detailed and clear. Bright but not brittle.
  7. Excellent sound positioning
  8. Nice large sound stage for a closed headphone.

AND THEY ARE NOT BROKEN IN YET!!! 
beyersmile.png

OK now that I have got that out of my system I will let these cook over night and I will listen for a day at work.

Oh and I will echo AnakChan these are awesome for accoustical and older music for sure. I haven't tried any of my "newer" music yet so will comment on that type of genre later.

@jgray91, in regards to the 7550. These have harder hitting deeper more controlled bass, similar but better mids, and sharper more detailed treble that rides the fine line between being to much and playing it to safe. Bigger sound stage, better positioning, and better instrument separation. I liked the 7550 out of the box and I like these even more straight out of the box.

Thanks for making my headphone purchase even harder now. Have you or AnakChan tried the Mad Dogs and the MDR-1R? Need to know which is better.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #483 of 2,773
This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks dweaver. Oh and you must tell me how the tuning is relative to the XBA-3s, from your initial impressions it sounds like a super version of the XBA-3s. Me likes!

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #484 of 2,773
@wolfetan44, I am sorry but have not heard that headphone.

@DSnuts, these have as deep a bass as the XBA3 but they are not as bass heavy. I would say it's a bit gentler at the least. The mids are a bit more prominent and better detailed. The treble is brighter and more detailed as well but I don't find it sibilant but it's close so may be sibilant for some. The sound stage is bigger and possibly has better positioning.

Over all I think it's a serious upgrade but the bass may not be quite what you want. Having said that, these are not broken in yet so the bass may improve. But if you can, you should have a listen your self as you might just love the bass.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #485 of 2,773
I think someone could be making a run to the Sony store to take a look at these baby's! I will post my impressions over the weekend.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #486 of 2,773
@jgray91, in regards to the 7550. These have harder hitting deeper more controlled bass, similar but better mids, and sharper more detailed treble that rides the fine line between being to much and playing it to safe. Bigger sound stage, better positioning, and better instrument separation. I liked the 7550 out of the box and I like these even more straight out of the box.

I love the 7550s - like you, loved 'em out of the box. The AKGs remind me of them a little, but it sounds like the 1R is close. That is a good thing.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #487 of 2,773
Quote:
@wolfetan44, I am sorry but have not heard that headphone.
@DSnuts, these have as deep a bass as the XBA3 but they are not as bass heavy. I would say it's a bit gentler at the least. The mids are a bit more prominent and better detailed. The treble is brighter and more detailed as well but I don't find it sibilant but it's close so may be sibilant for some. The sound stage is bigger and possibly has better positioning.
Over all I think it's a serious upgrade but the bass may not be quite what you want. Having said that, these are not broken in yet so the bass may improve. But if you can, you should have a listen your self as you might just love the bass.

This is interesting. You figure with the promotional vids saying it was tuned with modern music in mind they would have more bass emphasis but then again I like the idea of having a real detailed mid section..A bit more extended highs. I am actually glad Sony didn't roll off the highs and went for a more detailed approach.

Oh and speaking of Sony XBAs. I read today that Sony is redoing the XBA line. XBA-10, XBA-20, XBA-30 XBA-40. More goodness from Sony to look forward to.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #488 of 2,773
i really want to get one right now to troll the sony centres here like i did with the ex800st (they even said my iem is fake) xD. I also to compare it with the z1000 and my favorite cd900st and try how the 1R will sound with mundorf cables

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #489 of 2,773
dweaver,

would you say these are closer to the 7550 or xba-3, or neither?

as you know how much I like the 7550 and I'll be getting the xba-3 by this weekend thanks to DSnuts and eke.  

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #490 of 2,773
For those who have these, I have 4 questions. Bonus points for comparisons to the Audio Technica ATH-M50's.

• How is the mid-range? Is it recessed, aggressive, just right?
  • How is the bass? Is it recessed, punchy, laid back, detailed?
  • Is the basic "1R" version all plastic/pleather? Does it creak? What is build quality out of 10?
  • Does the "NC" version use any more 'premium' materials? I remember hearing that the NC version had a metal cup, and different materials..

Yes, I know that was more than 4 questions. 
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #491 of 2,773
Quote:
Thanks for making my headphone purchase even harder now. Have you or AnakChan tried the Mad Dogs and the MDR-1R? Need to know which is better.

I did try the Mad Dogs over the weekend and I don't know how you'd define better. To me the MDR-1R has more bass impact than the Mad Dogs however the Mad Dogs has quite refined highs (as in airy). Both are decent and excel in different ways.

Edited: Let me have a listen again with both using the same amping setup.

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #494 of 2,773
dweaver,

would you say these are closer to the 7550 or xba-3, or neither?

as you know how much I like the 7550 and I'll be getting the xba-3 by this weekend thanks to DSnuts and eke.  

Did you buy Eke's XBA3? If so you can thank me too LOL as I was Eke's "pusher" :wink:

As for the question about the XBA3 or 7550. I would say the MDR-1R is a blend of the two. Imagine the 7550 mids coupled with the XBA's bass (mostly) and treble (plus a bit more). With a bigger sound stage, better instrument separation, and I think better dynamics and transparency. So all around I would say it's a definite upgrade for lovers of both but especially the 7550.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back