Something to Compliment the HD580
Feb 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #16 of 30
Isn't the D2000 a boomy bass headphone? 
when modded, thats a different thing. 

Feb 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #17 of 30
How can be recessed mids and harsh highs work great with rock?
That's my impression.

Yeah, i've listened to some cans in a store in another city.
Flat - no equalizers.

A well rockish headphone should atleast have some full body on mids, like grados.

Maybe that's just me.. and my taste <3

Depends.. the D2000s have some more sub bass and only a slight punch which makes them sound smooth too me.
But ye they can become pre boomy with a decent equalizer.

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #18 of 30
I have got it down to the hd650 and ahd2000. I do  think I will like the sound signature of the ahd2000 but I worry the openness of the 580 will lead me back to it. Do the 2000's have a boxy sound compared to the sennheisers. I had ultrasone 580s before which sounded good but their closed nature really made them inferior.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #19 of 30
If you're used to open headphones, and have primarily listened to them, then the Denons will have a certain cavernous, closed-in sound, but their soundstaging is among the best I've seen coming from a closed can.  Actually I don't even think it's right to consider the Denons a true closed can.  They have every bit of property that a semi-open can has.  They leak lots of sound both in and out, and they have a slit behind headband yoke ring assembly that allows ear to escape and enter so that the drivers can breathe.

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #21 of 30
I have been looking at denon earcups and i think i am turned off. they seem to be pretty shallow. i wear headphones for along time( my computer doesnt even have speakers), so comfort is huge. my ears stick out some so a deep earpad is critical. sennheisers beyerdynamic and akg seem very good in this area. the denon sem like they will rest on my ears some creating discomfort after a while

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #22 of 30

Quote:
I have been looking at denon earcups and i think i am turned off. they seem to be pretty shallow. i wear headphones for along time( my computer doesnt even have speakers), so comfort is huge. my ears stick out some so a deep earpad is critical. sennheisers beyerdynamic and akg seem very good in this area. the denon sem like they will rest on my ears some creating discomfort after a while

1. Don't think the Denons would rest on your ears unlike you have ears of Yoda.
2. Denons are great phones. I sold my HFI580 to get the D2000 and never regretted. But since you are looking at the 780 or the 900, do not take my word

Offtopic:
Are you running your HD580 from your ipod straight? If so, in this case for you maybe you will get better upgrades of sound by adding an amp... Wow did I just go against the 'phones are the greatest upgrade' law? Bottom line is if you are unsatisfied by the HD580, you feel like there's something that is missing, go for an amp would be my suggestion. If you think they are perfectly fine, you just want to try a different sound signature, I believe the Denons would suit what you need, they are the bass kings and rumble+punch deeper than the HD580.

Senn vs Denon
Neutral vs Fun - coloured towards the bass
Both have a very expansive soundstage, if you are running the HD580 ampless maybe the Denon would even perform better out of that ipod jack in terms of soundstage.

Last but not least, such a shame you wouldn't give grados a try.

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #24 of 30
i have blind tests proving no difference with a powerful amp vs my pc using hd580 with my ears. that is why I currently do not have a dedicated amp. also my pc is pretty powerful

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #26 of 30
results from an actual test is always more believable than a claim somone makes on audio. i dont go around telling newcomers if they want good sound they have to spend 500 dollars on a fotm amp or using that rediculous term sorry about your wallet, which furher promotes the rediculous audiophoolery.

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #27 of 30
Echo your comments on the HD580s with rock music and the like. Lacks a bit of excitement but they are pretty accurate. I think a Grado would be what the doctor would order if you need more excitement, something like the Grado SR325is is great with rock music. The Denon AH-D2000 would be my second pick.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #29 of 30
Nice 
gs1000.gif

Mind sharing you meditation experience? That can help a lot of us here...

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #30 of 30
I have HD-580 headphones and what I listen to as an alternative, are the Grado 225i's. I got the softer earpads but I seem to be in the minority in not finding them at all uncomfortable. Certainly a different sound than the Senn's and good for rock and pop music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back