Something to Compliment the HD580
Feb 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Crazy*Carl

500+ Head-Fier
I love my HD580s, but on some types of music (metal and rock mainly, trance already sounds good in the HD580), they lack some excitement.  I am looking for something to compliment them for these genres.  I do not want huge amounts of bass, but something a little more than the HD580 and a very punchy sound.  My browsing has lead me to these headphones and impressions:

1. Denon AH-D2000/5000: I have set an EQ on my pc to simulate the sound of these, and it was my favorite.  I would consider the 5000 if it was a good step ahead of the 2000.  Only thing is the bass not the punchiest.
  2. Ultrasone Pro 900:   Very punchy and strong, but I worry about recessed mids.
  3. Ultrasone HFI 780:  Not as refined/detailed as the Pro 900, but not as bass heavy while still being punchy.
  4. Sennheiser HD650:  I am looking for a lively headphone, so these are probably not it, but they do have more bass than the HD580/600 and I really like the frame design.
  5. Shure SRH940:  Good all-arounder, but maybe to analytical.
  6. Beyerdynamic DT770/990:  Do not know much about them, but maybe mids to recessed.

I appreciate opinions to help steer me in the right direction.

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 30
Heya,

The D5000 (and all Denons for that matter) have great punchy, low hitting, solid bass. More impact than you'll get from an open headphone. The D5000 happens to be great for it's mids and exciting treble too. It would be a great compliment to get a closed back headphone to pair with your HD580. The D5000 is closer to linear than a "V", just has a slight touch of warmth and emphasis on the low end of bass. The DT990 would also be a nice choice, giving you a bright exciting treble and a punchy hard hitting low end bass, as it is more of a "V" signature. The SRH940 is absolutely not what you want, it will have less impact/bass than the HD580. The HD650 will have a touch more bass, but not a tremendous amount, you'll notice that less. You'll notice more that it's a darker headphone, less exciting treble, it's actually not that different from the HD580 in other regards, other than the slight emphasis on bass (mostly mid-bass) and the dimmed treble. The PRO900 will give you punchy, impactful bass, but it also will shred you with very bright treble and has some recession in the mids (and I consider it inferior to the D2000/D5000 in general after having owned all of these).

Very best,

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 30
The kees mod improves the Pro900's mids. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 30
Of the phones listed in the OP, I think the 780's are the most 'exciting', and the
best choice for metal and rock.  Of course rock is a huge category, but I'm thinking
the classic lineup of drums, vocals, bass, and guitar - maybe keyboards as well - all amplified, all electric.

But my most 'exciting' headphones by far are the Grado 225i's.
BTW, they don't begin bothering my ears (ie crushing them) until
I've been wearing them more than 4 hours or so continuously.

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 30
This hits it pretty much:
Heya,

The D5000 (and all Denons for that matter) have great punchy, low hitting, solid bass. More impact than you'll get from an open headphone. The D5000 happens to be great for it's mids and exciting treble too. It would be a great compliment to get a closed back headphone to pair with your HD580. The D5000 is closer to linear than a "V", just has a slight touch of warmth and emphasis on the low end of bass. The DT990 would also be a nice choice, giving you a bright exciting treble and a punchy hard hitting low end bass, as it is more of a "V" signature. The SRH940 is absolutely not what you want, it will have less impact/bass than the HD580. The HD650 will have a touch more bass, but not a tremendous amount, you'll notice that less. You'll notice more that it's a darker headphone, less exciting treble, it's actually not that different from the HD580 in other regards, other than the slight emphasis on bass (mostly mid-bass) and the dimmed treble. The PRO900 will give you punchy, impactful bass, but it also will shred you with very bright treble and has some recession in the mids (and I consider it inferior to the D2000/D5000 in general after having owned all of these).

Very best,

I don't think the Ultrasones will give you much love for rock'ish genres.
They are really directed to electronica mainly.

Either go with the Denon 2k/5k.

Or the Grado SR325is might be something for you for Metal / Rock.
http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR325is-Headphones/dp/B000J1N3HW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328716845&sr=8-1
Definitely check them out.

Edit:

Denon vs Ultrasones

- Smoother Chilled Bass, more rumble than punch VS less rumble but more punch
- More mids VS Less Mids (but on both recessed mids in general)
- Clear Highs but being slightly silibant on S tones VS Loud highs
- Allround VS Less Allround & Focused more on Electronica like House, Electro
- Comfort and a chance that you might get sweaty ears VS clamp on your ears, no sweat, less confort

It's up to you.
The Ultrasones have more of a "V" shape compared to the Denons.

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 30
Mids

Warm and Bright headphones.
Pushing Guitars and Vocals.

Bit of a mid to upper bass boost that gives guitars the kick but doesn't go too deep.
Which is bad for electronic genres.

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #12 of 30
Ya, Listen to a good amount of trance, and I just cannot consider a headphone with that poor of physical design.  Comfort is huge to me, something the HD580s are at the top of their class in.

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #13 of 30
Than Denons all the way.
Seriously.

Denon D2000 or the Denon D5000.

The D5000 will give you more natural / lively sound.
Slightly more Bass (due to vibrating wooden earcups)
More mids (you will appreciate it with rock / metal)
Slightly more Treble

The Denon D5000 are not too different compared to the D2000.
Same headphone with the same driver but wooden cups.

I have the Denon D2000s myself, i love them really much.
The best headphones i have heard since ages and i think everyone who is searching a nice fun-sounding headphone at this price range won't be disappointed.
I will upgrade to D5000s myself just because i am really satisfied with the D2000s. (in future / if they break)

Things that suit you:
- Amazing Comfort, really
- Lively & Exciting sound
- Bass heavy with details without having too recessed mids and no silibant highs (s tone might sound harsh only, nothing too serious)
- good with bass heavy genres especially with EQ
- Allrounders that will work on like everything

Something that is more against your wishes..
- i can't know how much punch you want.. the punch is there but it's more like a slight punch with rumble.. feels really smooth i like it :)

Anyway,
The D2000 will be great.. you need to listen to them atleast.
But i think the D5000s will suit you more due to more mids.. (for rock / metal)
There are not too many differences though.

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #14 of 30

Quote:

I don't think the Ultrasones will give you much love for rock'ish genres.
They are really directed to electronica mainly.

Do you have Ultrasones or have you at least listened for more than an hour to ultrasones before claiming this to someone else who has not?

Very best,

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #15 of 30

Quote:
Can anyone compare the AHD2000 against the Ultrasone 780?

The 780 has a lot of zip on top and plenty of bottom.
A lively and dynamic phone that isolates well,
excellent for rock & electronica
more "lively" than the 2000's, but the 2000's are overall a better sounding phone across the spectrum
The 2000's are much more comfortable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back