Some considerations on Hip-Hop oriented IEMs.
Aug 13, 2010 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jivex5k

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings all...I've been away from this forum for a while and it has served me greatly for years with the information.
I had a pair of DT770s (sold em eventually they were just too large) and I still use my Grado SR225s on a daily basis.
I'm ready to get some high quality IEMs.
My friend at work listens to HORRIBLE music...well that's a matter of opinion i'm sure he feels the same way about my tastes.
I've decided to get a Sansa Clip+ and a nice pair of IEMs to rectify the bad music situation.
I'd rather not get an amp for the IEMs, just more parts to deal with, as such i've only been looking at easily driven IEMs....
I listen to hip-hop and that's about it. Sometimes some classical music will make it's way into the mix, and anything with jazz or funk is great in my book.
I'm trying to discern the best IEMs for these genre types, it seems like a lot of bass friendly IEMs also represent strings extremely well.
I really loved the bass in my DT770s at first, but I swear it overwhelmed the mids sometimes. I hate it when hip hop songs don't have that deep kick but I gotta hear the lyrics!
If i could find something slightly less bass heavy than the 770s I believe they would be perfect for me.
I've got a budget of around $150
Here's what i've been looking at:

-Klipsch Image X5-
I'm worried that the bass is too shy for hip-hop. I can't afford the X10s but the X5s have great reviews as far as comfort and sound quality.

--Radius DDM-
I really really am considering these as the ones. The reviews on the sound seem to be exactly what i'm looking for but the ergonomics seem to fall short.
I'm gonna be wearing them most of the day at work I really don't want them falling out or making too much microphonic noise.
**These things look cool as hell IMO

-Future Sonics Atrio M8-
Now this looks like an answer to the DDM ergonomic woes but i'm worried the bass will be overpowering. Are these comparable to the DT770 (is that a ridiculous question?)

-Fischer Audio DBA-02-
My god the reviews on the sound left me astonished at the price. But longevity and heavy use are both huge factors in my consideration and it seems like these wouldn't last.

-Klipsch Custom 3-
I really like the fact that they have dual BA. It seems like it would really help the definition of bass, but the dropoff at 35hz worries me i'll be missing some hip-hop subs.
I've heard the image X5's are better at a minimal cost increase though.

-Phonak PFE 122-
Now I was checking these out and came across the extended bass model for $89.00
I looked for reviews on the PFE 012 and it seems like they are just 122's with different filters.
So why is the price gap so large?
The 012 may very well be what I end up with.

So any advice/insight/recommendations/flaming is quite welcome and appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
~Jivex5k

Aug 13, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 4
I agree, DBA-02 is a no-go for you! It's strengths are a natural sound with a solid linear frequency range. Unless that's what you really want or unless you want to monitor music, you will not appreciate the Fischer Audio.

Sadly, your list is missing the HJE900. When asked for, it can deliver great bass that extends very deep without changing the mids. Also, the sound hardly profits from an amp.

As for the Audéo PFE, I've only had the 112 version with grey/black filters. Especially unamped, Hip-Hop did not sound dynamic enough. It's strength is its clarity in the mids and highs. I'm not too sure about the green filters, but I doubt they can take on the HJE900! However, I've never used them with an amp, which is strongly recommended.
As for the price, it's a shortage of accessories (pouch, cleaning tools, Comply tips, filters) that saves money. Build quality and comfort is very good compared to other IEMs.

If you're on a budget, you might want to add the Hippo VB to the list. 79 $ is a very fair price if you're looking for a fun and warm in-ear that does well with Hip-Hop, Electronica & Rock.

But psst... HJE900!
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 4
Hmmm...yes I remember now looking at the HJEs in a review and this line scared me : "Low-end response is slanted slightly towards mid/upper bass." I'm gonna check them out some more, if they extend low enough they may be the ones.
Yeah the DBA is out if it's neutral, I have monitors for monitoring.

--EDIT--
Alright read some more in-depth reviews on the HJEs and it seems like they are the best option. Cheap as hell and tight bass without overpowering the mids. Thanks for the recommendation bro good lookin out.

If anyone else has some insights please share them with us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back