Feb 14, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #976 of 1,593
Here it is just arrived, Volume! :) Great packaging, and an incredible value

taken-1644835310332.jpg
taken-1644835241586.jpg

taken-1644835445548.jpg
taken-1644835453482.jpg
taken-1644835477485.jpg
taken-1644835613423.jpg

The hard-case is from some sort of leather, really well-made and feels premium. You also get a mesh IEM bag like the ones from Campfire. 2 sets of SML eartips (6 pairs in total). And a soft wipe cloth

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #979 of 1,593
Is that dap se200?
It's the SR25 MKII

The sound is actually tuned closer to neutral to my ears, despite the DD bass supporting the lows. The bass doesn't overpower/shadow the mids at all, but at the same time it makes its presence well-felt and act more as a support, adding some body and weight to the mids. Somewhat substituting the lower-mids, which felt a it on the leaner side. It's not very warm or wet in its timbre (RSV may be warmer by comparison based on memory). The mids remain pristine clear with great separation ability. Instruments are well-resolved and precise in their positioning. Very good technically in this area in my opinion. Combined with a good still, quiet and stable background, neat and clean instrument arrangements, it sounds "high-resolution" but without relying on sheer resolution like the RS10, which may make for an easier less fatiguing listen. The Volume sounds more forgiving by comparison, and with the added DD bass, it sounds less flat neutral, and more 'balanced' with each frequency region complementing one another. The Volume also exudes more 'audiophile'-like sound character, compared based on memory to the hybrid Moondrop Variations, which sounds more 'fun' with more rounded less precise note definitions. The Volume sounded more 'transparent', despite not possessing the largest stage (more cube-like medium size). It has exceptional layering, and clear mids, and fine non-peaky treble

Might try the Volume on other sources to get a better picture to how it sounds :)

Feb 15, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #983 of 1,593
Volumes bass is not light, in fact its a real thick boy. Actually, the BE coated driver is freakin boss! It can go from a 32hz drone bass note to silence and back in the blink of an eye. No bloat, in fact I'd say it could be TOTL level bass. TIGHT and deep.

Feb 16, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #985 of 1,593
It's the SR25 MKII

The sound is actually tuned closer to neutral to my ears, despite the DD bass supporting the lows. The bass doesn't overpower/shadow the mids at all, but at the same time it makes its presence well-felt and act more as a support, adding some body and weight to the mids. Somewhat substituting the lower-mids, which felt a it on the leaner side. It's not very warm or wet in its timbre (RSV may be warmer by comparison based on memory). The mids remain pristine clear with great separation ability. Instruments are well-resolved and precise in their positioning. Very good technically in this area in my opinion. Combined with a good still, quiet and stable background, neat and clean instrument arrangements, it sounds "high-resolution" but without relying on sheer resolution like the RS10, which may make for an easier less fatiguing listen. The Volume sounds more forgiving by comparison, and with the added DD bass, it sounds less flat neutral, and more 'balanced' with each frequency region complementing one another. The Volume also exudes more 'audiophile'-like sound character, compared based on memory to the hybrid Moondrop Variations, which sounds more 'fun' with more rounded less precise note definitions. The Volume sounded more 'transparent', despite not possessing the largest stage (more cube-like medium size). It has exceptional layering, and clear mids, and fine non-peaky treble

Might try the Volume on other sources to get a better picture to how it sounds :)
looking forward to more impression, btw any challenger with this price range?

Feb 16, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #986 of 1,593
I'm mostly wondering how the Volume compare to the Blessing 2 (Dusk). Their frequency graphs seem to be quite close.

Feb 17, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #989 of 1,593
Trying the Volume even from the phone, the sound quality remains high still. No hiss, and requiring two volume clicks more (difference of about 10-15%) than most IEMs to drive to normal listening loudness. As mentioned, the Volume is special due to its separation. Even when fed with less than optimal source quality, the instruments are well-separated still, as good as the recording mixing and signal received/transmitted. Combined with its dark quiet stable background, and clear mids, it makes for a very resolving sound. Very good technically. And I dare say one of the best in terms of separation and layering ability, competent and capable of beating even the multi-fold more expensive higher-end models in this department. There is something magical introduced in the crossover of the Volume, it's a special hybrid model due to its talent or latent ability to separate instruments and frequency regions each to their lanes, and at once joining them together in a harmonious and neat manner. Well done, it's applausable how much care, serious attention and research Softears have put into to culminate this sound. From the driver positioning, internals arrangement, material selection, and total assembly. Punches way above its weight. Praiseworthy

Some minuses to my ears (highly sujective and preferential) though, are Volume's midrange timbre, which due to its leaner lower-mids, sound slightly more on the colder side. The upper-mids relative to other frequencies sound the most prominent, and forward. Which contrasts the lower-mids further. Albeit the added power and weight from the DD bass manage to tilt and balance the sound slightly, giving the notes a solid needed foundation. Bass sounded exceptional too for its quality, very good at its rendition from attack to decay. Displaying exceptional control and dynamics allowing each bass notes to float blend and spread well along with its stage and midrange notes without causing hindrance. It has good average amount, and overall quite natural sounding and -ly positioned. But the quality to reiterate, is exceptionally high. Just that the amount isn't for EDM bass-heads, more for bassist and drummers. It doesn't sound too warm in the lower-mids too, so cello and other wooden bassy instruments may lack that wood-like organicity or weightiness

The treble too never sounds harsh to my ears. It's not too far-extended as well though. But it provides the necessary brightness to the whole presentation sans excess. It has a good downward-sloping trend after peaking in the lower to mid treble. Still the peak is no higher relative to its upper-mids

taken-1645110853500.jpg

A treasured emerald gem

Feb 17, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #990 of 1,593
Trying the Volume even from the phone, the sound quality remains high still. No hiss, and requiring two volume clicks more (difference of about 10-15%) than most IEMs to drive to normal listening loudness. As mentioned, the Volume is special due to its separation. Even when fed with less than optimal source quality, the instruments are well-separated still, as good as the recording mixing and signal received/transmitted. Combined with its dark quiet stable background, and clear mids, it makes for a very resolving sound. Very good technically. And I dare say one of the best in terms of separation and layering ability, competent and capable of beating even the multi-fold more expensive higher-end models in this department. There is something magical introduced in the crossover of the Volume, it's a special hybrid model due to its talent or latent ability to separate instruments and frequency regions each to their lanes, and at once joining them together in a harmonious and neat manner. Well done, it's applausable how much care, serious attention and research Softears have put into to culminate this sound. From the driver positioning, internals arrangement, material selection, and total assembly. Punches way above its weight. Praiseworthy

Some minuses to my ears (highly sujective and preferential) though, are Volume's midrange timbre, which due to its leaner lower-mids, sound slightly more on the colder side. The upper-mids relative to other frequencies sound the most prominent, and forward. Which contrasts the lower-mids further. Albeit the added power and weight from the DD bass manage to tilt and balance the sound slightly, giving the notes a solid needed foundation. Bass sounded exceptional too for its quality, very good at its rendition from attack to decay. Displaying exceptional control and dynamics allowing each bass notes to float blend and spread well along with its stage and midrange notes without causing hindrance. It has good average amount, and overall quite natural sounding and -ly positioned. But the quality to reiterate, is exceptionally high. Just that the amount isn't for EDM bass-heads, more for bassist and drummers. It doesn't sound too warm in the lower-mids too, so cello and other wooden bassy instruments may lack that wood-like organicity or weightiness

The treble too never sounds harsh to my ears. It's not too far-extended as well though. But it provides the necessary brightness to the whole presentation sans excess. It has a good downward-sloping trend after peaking in the lower to mid treble. Still the peak is no higher relative to its upper-mids

taken-1645110853500.jpg

A treasured emerald gem
"The treble too never sounds harsh to my ears" :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back