Softears - Discussion & Appreciation
Feb 20, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #1,006 of 1,593
Nice info!

Yeah with a 5 ohm impedance on the Softear Volume, it ideally needs a source with < 0.625 ohm output impedance, as per the rules of eights. Otherwise on other sources, the FR will be skewed. Not sure many folks will have an ideal source to pair with this set.
I don't found info about the TK's output impedance. Where do you find this 0,625 ohm ?

Feb 20, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #1,007 of 1,593
I don't found info about the TK's output impedance. Where do you find this 0,625 ohm ?

The rule of eights is a commonly used audiophile guide for source pairing:

https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-impedance-demystified/

Based on this "rules of eights" discussed here, the headphone/IEM impedance is divided by 8, and that is the maximum source output impedance that should be paired. Ie if you have a 32 ohm IEM, if this is divided by 8, then ideally a maximum 4 ohm output impedance for the source is the highest that you should be accepting for output impedance, so as not to affect sound quality.

So this article states: " “…if an amplifier's output impedance is significantly more than an eighth of the headphone’s impedance, the frequency response and sound of the headphone can change. This results in bigger mismatches and creates more variation from the headphone’s default sound signature. The way that a headphone responds to an amplifier with output impedance higher than one eighth of the headphone can be entirely erratic – different headphones will respond in different ways, but generally the results will be negative.” - RHA Audio

For the Softear Volume, it has a reported output impedance is 5 ohms, so 5 divided by 8 means a 0.625 ohm is the max source output impedance you should accept, if not the FR may be skewed, as seen from the above post by @paulwasabii

Campfire Andromeda is a famous IEM with low impedance that has different FR depending on the source output impedance, and I've tried the Andromeda and a few other sub 10 ohm impedance sets like the Audiosense T800 and TRI Starsea, they really do sound different on a source with too high output impedance.

Feb 20, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #1,008 of 1,593
I have the TRI TK2 , but I didn't heard it increase the bass with my iems. Do you hear it too, or just see it in the graph ?
Generally, not at all. I wish the TK2 had a bass boost switch sometimes.

With Volume specifically, it does sound much thicker on TK2.

Feb 21, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #1,009 of 1,593
Wow your tips looks awesome what are they? Thanks!

maybe already these one :thinking:

O1CN01losaNa2LIuh6Z1Cj7_!!170009670.jpg

Feb 21, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #1,010 of 1,593
Received Volume from Softears today. Here are my quick first impressions -

I don't know if everyone has noticed but Volume's shells too are made in collaboration with the 3D printing tech company Heygears, like Moondrop Blessing2's. The fit is perfect for my ears, particularly with the silicone and foam ear tips. Even though the shells aren't small by any means, they fit and feel like a CIEM in my ears with them. The package on the other hand is BIG, much bigger than necessary for an IEM! It does include some nice goodies though - a very nice leather case and 3 different types of SML ear tips (Silicone, Ultraclear and Foam). Ultraclear ear tips are similar to Xelastec ear tips.

Sound wise, it has a very nice bass boosted, neutral tending fun tuning which complements Moondrop Blessing2's neutral-bright tuning very well. DD has nice organic slam and the overall signature is quite versatile and easy to like. For people concerned about the pinna gain being a bit more than Blessing2's - it doesn't sound peakier than Blessing2 since the bass boost adds warmth which restricts the 3kHz from sounding too prominent. Volume sounds very smooth to me, which makes it easier to boost volume levels for some enthusiastic listening.

I really like the included ear tips. They fit a bit differently and effect Volume's sound signature slightly differently too. Here are my measurements with different ear tips -

Softears Volume.jpg

Volume with Harman Target for reference.

Softears Volume + Harman Target.jpg

Volume vs Moondrop Blessing2.

Softears Volume vs Moondrop Blessing2.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #1,012 of 1,593
Added more graphs in the first impressions post above.

Nice impression thanks. Those clear tips change the sound a lot!
Thanks! A lot depends on fit and insertion depth in the ears as well as the measurement coupler. Volume has a snugger and slightly deeper fit in the coupler with the Ultraclear tips. That 4k-8kHz lower-treble dip is similar in case of Moondrop IEMs too when I push them deeper in the measurement coupler. But I don't perceive Volume with Ultraclear eartips like they measure in the graph because they are a bit finicky fit wise for my ears. I actually get a looser fit with them and as a result, less of the bass boost. I'll try measuring them with a looser, shallower fit tomorrow to replicate how I'm hearing Volume with them.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #1,013 of 1,593

I don't know if everyone has noticed but Volume's shells too are made in collaboration with the 3D printing tech company Heygears, like Moondrop Blessing2's. The fit is perfect for my ears, particularly with the silicone and foam ear tips. Even though the shells aren't small by any means, they fit and feel like a CIEM in my ears with them. The package on the other hand is BIG, much bigger than necessary for an IEM! It does include some nice goodies though - a very nice leather case and 3 different types of SML ear tips (Silicone, Ultraclear and Foam). Ultraclear ear tips are similar to Xelastec ear tips.

Sound wise, it has a very nice bass boosted, neutral tending fun tuning which complements Moondrop Blessing2's neutral-bright tuning very well. DD has nice organic slam and the overall signature is quite versatile and easy to like. For people concerned about the pinna gain being a bit more than Blessing2's - it doesn't sound peakier than Blessing2 since the bass boost adds warmth which restricts the 3kHz from sounding too prominent. Volume sounds very smooth to me, which makes it easier to boost volume levels for some enthusiastic listening.

I really like the included ear tips. They fit a bit differently and effect Volume's sound signature slightly differently too. Here are my measurements with different ear tips -

Softears Volume.jpg

Softears Volume + Harman Target.jpg

Softears Volume vs Moondrop Blessing2.jpg
Thank you for your impression.

In your opinion, if someone who love bass, want to upgrade to a more balance iem, but still have some bass, like an alcoholic trying to go sober slowly,

Is Volume the right direction? Or do u think there are other more bassier iem available at the same price range, that would be more suitable?

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #1,014 of 1,593
Just to make this point, TK2 has higher OI than ES100. Looks like adding OI makes bass go up.

This IEM is a hell of a thing.

Thanks for this info my friend. I kept changing tips and not understanding what was happening. Ultra deep fit clear tips is doing the trick.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #1,015 of 1,593
Volume is really addictive to listen to :) Its dark, quiet background + exceptional separation ability is quite something to listen to at night. I'm pairing it with SR25Mk2 unbalanced (1.2 ohms) nowadays, can't stop smiling each time. Each instrument is rendered clearly and distinguishably well (not muddied or blurred due to overlapping with other instruments, plus good contrast with background), natural-sounding tight bass, and absolutely brilliant highs, which benefit female vocals in special. Out of my phone, the sound became slightly more towards v-shaped. But with the SR25Mk2, its comparatively more neutral with heftier more solid note foundation, and warmer mids. Beautiful and immersive. That, and the premium packaging (also build quality). Talk about value at $300, Volume may perhaps be a giant killer

Feb 21, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #1,016 of 1,593
Volume is really addictive to listen to :) Its dark, quiet background + exceptional separation ability is quite something to listen to at night. I'm pairing it with SR25Mk2 unbalanced (1.2 ohms) nowadays, can't stop smiling each time. Each instrument is rendered clearly and distinguishably well (not muddied or blurred due to overlapping with other instruments, plus good contrast with background), natural-sounding tight bass, and absolutely brilliant highs, which benefit female vocals in special. Out of my phone, the sound became slightly more towards v-shaped. But with the SR25Mk2, its comparatively more neutral with heftier more solid note foundation, and warmer mids. Beautiful and immersive. That, and the premium packaging (also build quality). Talk about value at $300, Volume may perhaps be a giant killer
Very nice👍

Speaking build quality, how the fit?

Is it nice & easy? Does it go deep or sit outside of concha?

Feb 21, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #1,017 of 1,593
If you ask me, Softears intended as deep a fit as possible, so do that if possible. They go all the way in and fit like a custom for myself.

I LOVE the Volume man. Just love. I would say I have to deep fit them or else I get too much high mids and the treble peaks.

Feb 21, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #1,019 of 1,593
Thank you for your impression.

In your opinion, if someone who love bass, want to upgrade to a more balance iem, but still have some bass, like an alcoholic trying to go sober slowly,

Is Volume the right direction? Or do u think there are other more bassier iem available at the same price range, that would be more suitable?
Hey! Haha love your analogy! :wink:

Depends on the IEMs you've been listening to, the bass boost they had and your budget. If it's around $300 and you're used to +12dB of bass boost, Moondrop Blessing2 will be bass lean for you but is more neutral otherwise. IMO, Softears Volume is a very well balanced IEM and a happy medium between neutral-head and bass-head realms. It will more than satisfy the bass lovers who love bass but don't want to drown in it. Also, it definitely punches above its weight in sound performance and if you consider the whole package, it's quite well priced and executed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back