Softears - Discussion & Appreciation
Apr 30, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #361 of 1,593
With the RSV I get the best sound with Ultimate Ears UE900 silicone tips (with the blue core). I don't think they're available anymore... And worse, with the Turii, I am finding best sound/ fit with even older UE grey single flange tips which came with IEMs like the Triple.Fi 10. Those likewise aren't made anymore, and I am super careful to not lose any of either.

For the Turii, it was really hard to find a tip which gets them to seat securely and not come loose.
Nostalgic TF10Pro grey tip! I loved TF10Pro so much and ordered extra TF10Pro when UE discontinued. They got wide open nozzle with somewhat stiff silicone, never thought to re-use it, thanks!

Apr 30, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #363 of 1,593
Nostalgic TF10Pro grey tip! I loved TF10Pro so much and ordered extra TF10Pro when UE discontinued. They got wide open nozzle with somewhat stiff silicone, never thought to re-use it, thanks!

Haha! Yep... those single flanges from the glory days still seem to be a go-to for many of the IEMs I pick up. The Turii included. The newer colored core ones (blue M's for me) from UE900 are almost as reliably good on many sets too.

Gratuitous shot of the Turii kickin the old school UE greys....

Softears_Turii_6.jpg

Apr 30, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #364 of 1,593
You can mod the CP500 by cutting off the stems of other cheaper and smaller tips (I use KZ starline), and insert them into the CP500's stem so they fit thinner stem IEMs.
Thanks! Will try for a snugger stem fit!

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #365 of 1,593
Apr 30, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #366 of 1,593
CP500 looks similar to stock RSV tips, no?
It does, it offers a longer nose without sacrificing treble response like the one of narrower CP100, and it looke like the original so I liked it. RSV’s theme is darkish so I didn’t want fancy colors to distract is even its purely virtue haha.

May 1, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #367 of 1,593
Drumroll.........

_KE10001 1.jpg

It is here!

_KE10002.jpg _KE10006.jpg

Softears RS10 custom-fit

So right off some impressions (been listening yesterday all night and today all morning):
  • It's an audiophile fit, not the stage fit. My 64 Audio are much much tighter. The RS10 is my 7th pair of CIEM and the 5th pair that feels a little loose. But the seal is definitely fully there. If I were jumping around on stage or singing, I'd prefer a tighter fit, though. For audiophile use, just right!
  • Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! That clear transparent shell is visually striking! Not a single bubble or imperfection.
  • The bore design is different than the universal. It has like a sound chamber at the output, which is very similar to how we used to build the CIEM at Rhines Customs. This way it's very easy to keep it clean.
Vs Universal

I will have to compare with the universal more, but my impressions so far are: slightly less bass (yet better sub-bass extension), no more shout at all, overall more treble. I will try to find ear tips that are closest to the custom version and compare again.
New Toy Syndrome has kicked in: Again, another step closer to perfection.
The arrangement of the components and drivers is slightly different.

_KE10008.jpg _KE10009.jpg _KE10010.jpg _KE10011.jpg

I'm going to have a wonderful weekend! Hope you do too!

_KE10013 1.jpg

May 1, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #368 of 1,593
Well I decided to do some more tip rolling again and do a little listening time with the Turii before selling, and I'm really glad I did. I managed to get them to fit somewhat better, and perhaps with some hours now, the SQ is much, much improved. It's sounding like the reviews I read prior to purchasing finally. I've withdrawn the FS listing and am keeping the set!

Everything across the whole range is just extremely detailed, layered, and controlled. I don't think I've ever heard an IEM before which is so fast, and snappy on all transients. The bass reaches satisfyingly low with no overhang or slop.

The negatives are the iffy fit (may not fit some users' ears no matter what, due to the rectangular shape of the outer shell), and poor isolation due to the 4 big vents on the inner face. But if one can achieve a good comfortable seal, and listen in a fairly calm setting, oh boy will they be in for a sonic treat.
Would you mind posting a pic with this in your ear? I have trouble visualizing how iem rectangle would position against ear.

May 1, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #369 of 1,593
Would you mind posting a pic with this in your ear? I have trouble visualizing how iem rectangle would position against ear.
I posted a picture wearing them before: Post #36 of 368

The rectangular part is not against the ear and isn't supposed to. It's floating in front of it, similar to the Campfire Solaris.

May 1, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #370 of 1,593
Ha ha, please refer to HuoYuanJia's image! He's just a tad more photogenic than I am!

May 2, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #372 of 1,593
Some quick impressions of the Cerberus, the last of the Softears bunch.

Very interesting to hear a different approach. I also have the DUNU EST 112 with a similar configuration (DD + BA + EST), but they sound completely different. With the DUNU a voluminous bass contrasts with energetic treble. The Cerberus is extremely relaxed and I'd say it's the midrange that is the highlight.

RS10, RSV, and Turii are all very fast sounding, with quick transients and varying degrees of attack. But they are all among the faster-sounding IEM I know. The Cerberus is far slower, more relaxed, and smoother. Compared to its co-flagship RS10, the Cerberus sounds veiled. This is probably the one for the tube amp lovers and the people that want to relax when they come home from work.
  • Cerberus' overall tone is still very natural; you can tell it's a "Softear". The midrange tonality definitely has the company's tuning.
  • Voices are more distant than the other Softears IEM and also a bit richer in tone (more voluminous)
  • Bass tuning is between RS10 and Turii, with less impact but also more presence than both
  • Sounds exceptional with strings of any kind
  • Zero ear fatigue
  • Relaxed version of the RS10
  • Less treble detail than from Turii
  • I think RS10 has a more realistic timbre of cymbals in particular
Looking at the measurements, it starts making sense to me. Below you see the Cerberus as it is and then also reverse-corrected by un-doing a linear 1dB/octave slope (dotted). So for me, who is used to studio gear, the Cerberus sounds warm. But then again research suggests most people at home have a 1 db/oct warmth boost with their neutral speakers. Turns out the Cerberus is very neutral with that slop considered.

Softears_cerberus_tilted.png

Do the customs fit less bulky?
Do you think the RSV would also benefit from that kind of "overall more treble"?

Going by the RS10, I'd say the treble quantity of the Custom is fairly close to the RS10 Universal with CP155. But I can't say if that also translates to the RSV.

Personally, I don't need more treble from the RSV. By its technical nature, it is an excellent IEM to experiment with sources, cables, and ear tips - sort of a chameleon without needing to have 3 switches on the shell. :wink:

Maybe the slight shift in tonality is also caused by my ear shape. Comparing measurements of CIEM with Universals is a bit tricky, but I attached a measurement below anyway and it looks like they were basically comparable. But I wouldn't hold my hand in the fire for this one! I need some more in-ear time and experimentation before I post this on my homepage.

softears_rs10_vs_custom.png

May 3, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #373 of 1,593
Drumroll.........

It is here!

Softears RS10 custom-fit

So right off some impressions (been listening yesterday all night and today all morning):
  • It's an audiophile fit, not the stage fit. My 64 Audio are much much tighter. The RS10 is my 7th pair of CIEM and the 5th pair that feels a little loose. But the seal is definitely fully there. If I were jumping around on stage or singing, I'd prefer a tighter fit, though. For audiophile use, just right!
  • Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! That clear transparent shell is visually striking! Not a single bubble or imperfection.
  • The bore design is different than the universal. It has like a sound chamber at the output, which is very similar to how we used to build the CIEM at Rhines Customs. This way it's very easy to keep it clean.
Vs Universal

I will have to compare with the universal more, but my impressions so far are: slightly less bass (yet better sub-bass extension), no more shout at all, overall more treble. I will try to find ear tips that are closest to the custom version and compare again.
New Toy Syndrome has kicked in: Again, another step closer to perfection.
The arrangement of the components and drivers is slightly different.

I'm going to have a wonderful weekend! Hope you do too!

Beauty 😍 one day I may have to decide to go with RS10 or U12t that’s I’m pretty sure!

May 3, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #374 of 1,593
@MOONDROP @Softears
@shenzhenaudio
@koudairanger
By the way, If anyone trying to order IEM from Shenzhen Audio, I’d find an alternative now. Consumer advise.

They shipped my Moondrop blessing2 Dusk order by infamous “4px” the world’s slowest/unreliable delivery carrier and said, “if you didn’t get it in a month, let us know”. That 4px usually throws packages without any updates to your doorsteps, so the package could stay there for days or get stolen without you even noticing, guess what’s gonna happen if that really gets stolen? My guess is “the record shows it got delivered, if you have any other questions let us know.”

They seemed don’t care much about you paid money to them, whether you get actual Item to your hand or not.

Shenzhen audio used to ship with DHL but it seems like they are going cheap. Most of Moondrop/SotfearsIEMs are handled by Shenzhen audio, but you can also find from HifiGo, and third-party alternatives with delivery guarantees, I’m not sure if they ship witH DHL, but nothing can be worse than an expensive IEM to be shipped by 4px.

Now I have to check my doorsteps for continuous endless days 1 month or more, twice a day, in a hope that the package securely placed near doorsteps, without any guarantee. That action & effort & time & energy, alone cost me more than the money I paid.
Sure I can open a dispute with my credit card company, but that’s another time/effort, and if the record shows delivered, I will face in unfavorable judgment even from credit card companies. 4px is that terrible.

Using 4px for $5 ear tips, or even $79 Aria? OK understandable, cost management, but something that costs over $300? You are now undercutting your brand goodwill value. Being Cheap for those is not a smart move.

I’m pretty sure any headfiers or any human would like to experience this, “placed RS10, for $2k USD, and then seeing shipping notice with 4px”, you can shoot any emails to them, the response will be” sorry, we can do nothing because it’s already shipped by 4px. Sorry(not really) (Copy & Paste template: If you have any other questions let us know.”)

From someone accustomed to SONY high-end quality, My advice is high-end does not mean the product itself, but also the whole experience from the website, payment settlement, post-sale services. Customer is not your babysitter, it's you providing service, not customer providing service to you, why the customer needs to frequently check the doorsteps, why the customer needs to open dispute to the credit card company, why the customer needs to exchanging useless email with you, that's all but time and energy, not money. The customer does not provide service to the dealer.

Great job Shenzhen Audio👍 I will never use this authorized dealer again. I don't care about those in-shop credits, getting expensive IEM with 4px is just unacceptable. I'd rather pay $30 extra from somewhere else.

Sorry *not really* You are done, *Copy and Paste* If you have any other questions, let me know.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #375 of 1,593
I ordered the Softears Turii ordered from Shenzen Audio (and the RSV not too long before). Thankfully it came to my work office, but it was through DHL a couple weeks ago. This must be a recent change. I definitely won't use them for any big purchases if they don't send it with DHL. I'll go with either Penon, or Hifigo. Thanks for the account of your recent experience with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back