Softears - Discussion & Appreciation
Feb 17, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #31 of 1,600
That is really nice to hear! You won’t regret it!

I have one more recommendation. I already hinted at it in the review. Absolutely try custom foams!

A pair of Moldex or Bisom hearing protection foam plugs will do the trick. Use a sharp knife to shorten the length (~40% worked for me) and pinch a hole in the middle. It solves the only issue I had - ear pressure. It makes the RSV fit like a custom and isolate just as well! (I have 6 pairs of CIEM.) This does not work with Comply! This mod is the real deal! Tight bass, no loss in extension, no ear fatigue.

For other IEM, you can try squeezing the foams underneath silicone tips. Not as cool as the CIEM-like fit, but necessary to not block vents or consider the fit as it was designed.

Thanks for the input! Omg your other IEM trick!! We accidentally coincide to do same thing, I did that when very first batch of Sennheiser IE8(back then it was the most eye catching IEM of the age) arrived and found adding form underneath the silicone tip helped isolation and kept sound signature still.

Will definitely give it a shot for your trick.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #32 of 1,600
Thanks for the input! Omg your other IEM trick!! We accidentally coincide to do same thing, I did that when very first batch of Sennheiser IE8(back then it was the most eye catching IEM of the age) arrived and found adding form underneath the silicone tip helped isolation and kept sound signature still.

12 years throwback :smile:: Tried that with the ie8, too, but the inears didn't hold well in my ears this way. Foamies alone gave me a better seat.

To my experience, the hack described by Huo works best when using a punch forceps on a fully compressed (shortened) foam earplug. (Guess, Huo has used that tool, too.) The Kef M200, the Audeze iSine 20, and the Stax SR-002 all have some of the worst ergonomics ever. This mod rendered them bearable (pun intended).

Regarding the PP8, I'm a bit torn. It has excellent balance overall but its presentation isn't as lifelike and realistic as I am expecting a TOTL in-ear to deliver. The main weakness is extension in the highs and the subbass. It's not dark or weak in bass, but I miss sparkle and rumble at the same time. According to the frequency chart, the RSV seems to deliver both in a way that isn't overdone. At least in the highs, the bass seems to have a bit too much energy, though. But for being on the move, this characteristic may fit quite well.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #34 of 1,600
The Turii looks very interesting, as Huoyuanjia mentioned on another place his very open and airy sound but comfy-wise based on the pictures ?

Regarding the PP8, I'm a bit torn. It has excellent balance overall but its presentation isn't as lifelike and realistic as I am expecting a TOTL in-ear to deliver. The main weakness is extension in the highs and the subbass. It's not dark or weak in bass, but I miss sparkle and rumble at the same time. According to the frequency chart, the RSV seems to deliver both in a way that isn't overdone. At least in the highs, the bass seems to have a bit too much energy, though. But for being on the move, this characteristic may fit quite well.

Maybe I'm completely wrong but guess you can't blame ^^ the PP8 for his bass is'nt it more a limitation of balanced vs dynamic armature ?

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #35 of 1,600
Maybe I'm completely wrong but guess you can't blame ^^ the PP8 for his bass is'nt it more a limitation of balanced vs dynamic armature ?

I agree with this in general, however, there are exceptions like the 64 audio U12t, which, despite having only balanced armatures, manages to go very deep with amazing authority and punch. When just hearing them without knowing about their innards, chances are you would consider them to be hybrids.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #36 of 1,600
so how big are those RSV shells? Are those the same shells across all three models? (RS10, Cerebus, RSV)
I have no idea how big the shells for RS10 and Cerberus are. Chi-Fi has some shockingly small custom-like universal shells. I have the Reecho x Peacock Spring here and it is tiny. Compared to that, the RSV is bulky as it protrudes to the outside. Here is a picture compared to a CIEM. (They are next to each other, the RSV is not further in the background.)

_KE10311.jpg

The Turii looks very interesting, as Huoyuanjia mentioned on another place his very open and airy sound but comfy-wise based on the pictures ?
I have to admit, the Turii is a little bit trickier to find a comfortable fit than the RSV. But it's no different to something like the Solaris. With the tips shown above, I have zero discomfort. But I have to admit that I can't use all tips, with some the housing will lean against my outer ear.

_KE60334.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #38 of 1,600
Haven't got any RS5 samples yet, but Cerberus and RS10 are sliy different, RS10 are biggest and most heavy (we have to fill all the internal space with resin for crystal clear finish)
Same as the A8 and S8. Absolutely stunning!

Feb 18, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #40 of 1,600
Haven't got any RS5 samples yet, but Cerberus and RS10 are sliy different, RS10 are biggest and most heavy (we have to fill all the internal space with resin for crystal clear finish)
Are you saying that you (MoonDrop) are building the RS10?

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #42 of 1,600
Yeah the manufacturing of S8, RS10, etc.(literally everything that's handcrafted with acrylic) are from the same department.
Just curious, how do you see the strategic positioning of RSV and S8? They literally are in the same price bracket $730 vs $699, with 8BAs vs significantly fewer 5BAs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back