Softears - Discussion & Appreciation
Feb 5, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #16 of 1,593
To be honest, I really haven't planned to do so. I'll be writing a full review on the Turii and I probably will not be putting in the energy to do the same for a product that might be quite similar. If I should get my hands on the Illumination, I could throw in a comparison, though.

I also use an IEC 60218-4, same in-ear coupler as Crinacle. You can view his measurement of the Illumination here: https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/moondrop-illumination/
Differences I notice:
- Turii has ~2 dB more bass, but that can also be tip-dependent or in regards to measurement. Of course 2dB is also within driver variation and no problem if L+R are matched. But it could just as well be a design choice.
- The upper mids/vocal presence peaks quite a bit higher on the Illumination, ~8 dB over bass or ~12 dB over 1 kHz. Turii will be softer, in comparison it's just ~5 dB over bass or 10dB rise compared to 1 kHz.
- Maybe a little bit flatter bass curve and extension on Turii?
- My curve of Turii shows a lot more air and better high frequency extension. But I would not put too much weight on that, Crinacle's curves all fall quite steep in the treble whereas I use psychoacoustic smoothing.

So going by that, I will assume the Blessing is brighter and more in accordance to near-field neutral tuning. Turii might sound warmer or - how many put it - musical. If there will be technical differences apart from that, I really can't tell.

Ultimately, despite the similarities, I do not think that Turii or Illumination will fight for the same customers. Personally, I do not want an anime girl on my flagship IEM in a cardboard box. I also do not fancy the gold housing at all. Softears' presentation is a lot more "professional" and the Turii looks quite mature in the black CNC metal body. Personally, I feel comfortable showing the Turii around and saying that it's an incredible tech device. Spending that much on the Blessing would make me feel like a helpless weeb.
However, Turii's name is also linked to a game based on an anime? I seriously hope Softears will not go down the same path as MoonDrop, Tanchjim, See Audio, etc. or I will have to search a new hobby...
if you are talking about tip dependent, turii use same tips with illumination/kxxs/starfield.
Btw turii's name is nothing about anime.
Btw the anime thing is our boss's personal taste... Whatever... But we always refrain from putting anything on the actual product (unless our customers ask for it).

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Feb 5, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #17 of 1,593
if you are talking about tip dependent, turii use same tips with illumination/kxxs/starfield.
Btw turii's name is nothing about anime.
Btw the anime thing is our boss's personal taste... Whatever... But we always refrain from putting anything on the actual product (unless our customers ask for it).
Interesting about the name. So this is wrong? https://www.hdavchina.com/show.php?contentid=41042

BTW, I know your boss. We exchanged measurements on WeChat long ago and I think he sent me the Kanas to write the first international review. I praised MoonDrop (especially the KPE) before anyone had heard the name. 🙂
Love him and his products! But anime is not for me. 🙏

Feb 5, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #18 of 1,593
Interesting about the name. So this is wrong? https://www.hdavchina.com/show.php?contentid=41042

BTW, I know your boss. We exchanged measurements on WeChat long ago and I think he sent me the Kanas to write the first international review. I praised MoonDrop (especially the KPE) before anyone had heard the name. 🙂
Love him and his products! But anime is not for me. 🙏
Okay I remember that at a game soundtrack, my bad... BTW turii's name was not decided by him. Just as the report said, it's the idea of Baihe the designer.

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Feb 5, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #19 of 1,593
Frequency response may be similar between turii and illumination, but I'm intetested in the differences beyond tonality and I agree about the presentation. Watched an unboxing of the turii. Cool package and overall design.

Feb 6, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #20 of 1,593
Feb 15, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #22 of 1,593
I really love the sound signature of blessing2, especially the mid range, just curious that is RS5 using all softears/moondrop designed BAs? No knowles/sonion BAs?
Any info?
🙏 thanks!
[EDIT] Self-solved. All 5 BAs are customized BA by Softears. I love blessing 2's Softears MID-A, the sound is just so soft and perfect, but had just a slight hope in tonal consistency between MID and knowles ones for B2.
I can't imagine if all that BAs are tuned by that tone.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #23 of 1,593
Okay I remember that at a game soundtrack, my bad... BTW turii's name was not decided by him. Just as the report said, it's the idea of Baihe the designer.
Wow this info was kinda very surprising to me. When I took a look at that name turii, it actually reminded me of my favorite beatmania IIDX's song turii, and indeed it was..! It certainly will catch some minor music game audience's attention haha. (the linked article's picture image about konami's turii is actually wrong songs though..)
Just to raising my hand up for someone actually enjoying moondrop's differentiation strategy to marrying anime with the product.
My native language is Japanese, and I saw many complement on that moondrop's anime drawing helped them to have a certain perception about the sound signature of the products, well at least for younger generations. :relieved:

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #24 of 1,593
My review of the RSV is finished. Read it here:

https://www.klauseulenbach.de/2021/02/15/softears-rsv/

_KE40222.jpg

_KE40223.jpg

Now on to the Turii. Spoiler: Turii is even better. 😁

Feb 17, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #25 of 1,593
Feb 17, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #26 of 1,593
I really love the sound signature of blessing2, especially the mid range, just curious that is RS5 using all softears/moondrop designed BAs? No knowles/sonion BAs?
Any info?
🙏 thanks!
Sorry I missed this one, the midrange was proprietary just like our other BA IEMs. We use a mix of both outsourced and proprietary components.

Feb 17, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #27 of 1,593
Thanks a lot! As a long-time audio enthusiast, your review convinced me to place an order for RSV. Looking forward to your Turii review too!

Same here. Thanks for the RSV review and measurements. For me the diagram with the spinfits did it :relaxed:. First time order from Hifigo. Hope they are reliable.

Feb 17, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #29 of 1,593
Sorry I missed this one, the midrange was proprietary just like our other BA IEMs. We use a mix of both outsourced and proprietary components.
Thanks! Just want to say your engineering team did a splendid job and full of geniuses!

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #30 of 1,593
Thanks a lot! As a long-time audio enthusiast, your review convinced me to place an order for RSV. Looking forward to your Turii review too!
Same here. Thanks for the RSV review and measurements. For me the diagram with the spinfits did it :relaxed:. First time order from Hifigo. Hope they are reliable.

That is really nice to hear! You won’t regret it!

I have one more recommendation. I already hinted at it in the review. Absolutely try custom foams!

A pair of Moldex or Bisom hearing protection foam plugs will do the trick. Use a sharp knife to shorten the length (~40% worked for me) and pinch a hole in the middle. It solves the only issue I had - ear pressure. It makes the RSV fit like a custom and isolate just as well! (I have 6 pairs of CIEM.) This does not work with Comply! This mod is the real deal! Tight bass, no loss in extension, no ear fatigue.

D2464FB0-3BD4-418B-8BA1-762BE1C6FFFA.jpeg
1F3BF7C6-C72F-4709-8E3D-3CB92EB78EE8.jpeg

For other IEM, you can try squeezing the foams underneath silicone tips. Not as cool as the CIEM-like fit, but necessary to not block vents or consider the fit as it was designed.

2A0E8470-E613-4A8A-AF65-3C4E56F051F9.jpeg
10B50AD4-307A-4EEE-99D4-1BCF67B278DC.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back